How often do you use or see the word "geezer"?

• Thread starter Deleted member 42060
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 42060

How often do you use or see the word "geezer"?

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Uh... I think I just use the words old man, old fart usually lol. Maybe Elderly, but not geezer. And I guess I see it a lot in anime translations more than in writing. :blob_melt:

ZesshiLavi

Never, geezer prob just appears in anime mostly, for me anyway.
I have the same opinion as Koyuki up there.

JayDirex

you can get away with a character saying it once or twice. but I wouldn't use it often. Kind of a dated word.
Uh... I think I just use the words old man, old fart usually lol. Maybe Elderly, but not geezer. And I guess I see it a lot in anime translations more than in writing. :blob_melt:
Yeah, if you listen to the Japanese they are typically saying "O-san" "Ojii-san" or worse "Hage! (which means bald). but basically all of these things refer to "old man" and the tone they use it will dictate if it is derogatory or not. so, for a LAZY AS FUCK translation, westerners keep writing "Geezer" so that we can get the gist that the person saying it is being lightly-offensive.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'll use it when I feel like making fun of an old person.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
you can get away with a character saying it once or twice. but I wouldn't use it often. Kind of a dated word.
Just found out I'm apparently old ... Am I a geezer myself? :blob_hmm:

Anyway, to answer the actual question: I'll out myself and say that I regularly use it. I have a character in my main story that is usually referred to as "old geezer" (because just being a geezer isn't enough apparently but, well, you see, he's really ancient considering that the person saying it is already kind of old) by his rather impolite stepson (?). I feel like I can get away with it though because it started out as a light-hearted comedy and the one using the word is the same person who keeps referring to the father of the person he likes as "father-in-law" upon first meeting. So clearly, he just doesn't care. And he is kind of crazy ...
Outside of that very specific case though? Nah. It usually doesn't really fit as just a descriptor of a person that I could throw into the narrative so dialog would be the only place where it is appropriate and most characters indeed wouldn't use it.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
Outside of that very specific case though?
Pretty much this. I see the word often enough to consider it common, but the context is basically always as a nickname for 'some old geezer'. It's not something I would say, and thus not something I would write normally. But if you get a slightly irreverent character who just happens to interact a lot with a certain old man, maybe. A son to his father, uncle or grandfather would work, if they had a good relationship. The way it's used as a translation for in anime is usually good, really. The other case is that dumb brick thug character talking to random elderly people I guess.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
The word can be used as a derogatory term? I thought it was a nickname used as banter...

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Yeah, if you listen to the Japanese they are typically saying "O-san" "Ojii-san" or worse "Hage! (which means bald). but basically all of these things refer to "old man" and the tone they use it will dictate if it is derogatory or not. so, for a LAZY AS FUCK translation, westerners keep writing "Geezer" so that we can get the gist that the person saying it is being lightly-offensive.
I figured as much. But, I got to love those lazy as fuck translations to get my anime fix. Yes, I am an addict and I need help! :blob_melt:

melbisbelbis

A lot. After all, it pretty much is just a fancy way to tell people this isn’t your first time writing anything and can work your way around less-used words.

King_Vaelin

I like to use ''old man'' instead. More personal and moderate in my opinion. Geezer sounds a bit off to me, though I have used it once or twice.