Writing How should I approach a rewrite?

Alaska

I’m currently rewriting my second story but what elements should I redo? I’m having difficulty rewriting.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Well, the first is to look for grammar mistakes, try to read your novel out loud at least once for sentence structure (I don't do this with my smut on SH but I do it with everything else I write).

Second part of a rewrite is usually based on feed back from other people, or things you felt you needed to rush. Writing is subjective, just because you like something doesn't mean others will and there are many different audiences as well. Re-writing something usually is to expand on a character, focus on something more or eliminate parts that don't add to the novel.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Figure out what needs to be reworked. Dialogue, structure, descriptions, anything that anyone has mentioned needing work. Once you have that knowledge you can focus on that for the rewrite. Then if something comes up later you can rewrite it again but focusing on whatever new thing came up. It makes it a little easier to focus but it does take time.

ZombieHat

I’m currently rewriting my second story but what elements should I redo? I’m having difficulty rewriting.
As you edit through, pick out parts that don't sound right or flow well. Maybe a whole scene just rubs you wrong. Just rewrite. Some people rewrite their entire novel over again now that they have a solid structure. You don't have to go that far but its up to you. Example, I'm working on a supernatural thriller and one scene was just too fast and thus it lacked the empotional weight I wanted. So i rewrote the whole thing. Hope this helped!

yurinium

It may be more time consuming but how I do my rewrite is to:

1. refer to the existing framework (plot points), and modify it to your new preference, if any. Sometimes one ended up adding or reducing stuff from the main framework.

2. Using the new framework, write it again without pasting anything from the old work. You'll have a new writing style generally for the second attempt.

3. After you are done, read the old and new chapters and see which ones you like. In general you'll like the new one but if there's something you prefer from the old one, you can always bring it to the new one with a few adjustments.