How the heck do you get people to discover already-finished stories?

tfes8

If I like a story, and I really like that author's style, I have gone back and read other works by them. But yeah, I've found posting to other sites helps keep it fresh.

Also, I know some readers (not necessarily on this site) will actually seek out Completed stories so they can filter through the abandoned stuff.

Amazingly though, my story that was completed last month ago is still getting reads despite it never being listed as trending or being top 20 in any category.

Last edited:

Queenfisher

Bird?
This is a frustrating question and everyone has already given the most productive advice. So the only one that's left for me to say is --

I almost always check out people's books if the authors frequent the forum here and share: 1) controversial/challenging opinions about writing in general, 2) something about writing in their books that might interest me.

In short, unless the book belongs to the genre I would naturally plunder the hell out of through rankings (BL only, or some very eclectic ranking lists based on my mood), the only other way for me to discover a book on this site is through socializing with forum people. :blob_reach:

Or contests and anthologies. They also work because they allow me to socialize and interact with other people's work just by lurking in the forum which is the MOST perfect way.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
In short, unless the book belongs to the genre I would naturally plunder the hell out of
You just reminded me of something: I'm not sure if anyone has said something about that yet but I think that regarding the 'new books can make readers interested in old books' there is one thing to keep in mind: Readers like different stuff. Some might have a very narrow taste (e.g., I exclusively read BL) while others enjoy many different genres. So, if you write a story in a different genre after finishing another one, it could be that some readers wouldn't read that new one even if they generally liked your other story and your writing style just based on the fact that it's the 'wrong' genre for them.
On the other hand, if you happen to write more than one story in the same genre, that's an opportunity for advertising: You can recommend these stories to your readers in a circle-way. I think the important part there is highlighting where they are similar. People often love to read similar stuff. Just look at how many books with precisely the same tropes and general plot some people can read before moving on to something else. Giving them something they are familiar with, is a great opportunity.
On the other, other hand, you can do the reverse thing with the other readers: You can basically advertise to people who are 'in the mood for something new'. Maybe mention what you think you did better/more interesting in the other story. E.g. 'If you enjoyed this story but want something with a more complex plot/a more diverse cast of characters/an entirely new magic system/a new twist on transmigration, then check out my other story X!'

thedude3445

Some clear and well-placed advertising helps. I see that you have a little icon that links to your story in your signature, but it's actually not clear that it's an advert or that you can interact with it - it kind of just looks like a cute bit of decoration.
You might get more clicks if you included the title nearby as well, to indicate that it's for a story.

Oh I didn't think readers went on these forums so I didn't really think about it. If that actually helps, I'm all for changing my signature.

Thanks for all the advice on what to do with completed stories, everyone. A lot of the tips won't work with Hands Held specifically (I won't be selling the book on Amazon or make a continuation), but in general they are good pieces of advice. With enough time and other stories that interest people, maybe that's all that's needed. If there aren't any systems in place on the sites to help discovery (like SH and RR, though not Tapas), then releasing more fictions is probably the best way to spread word.

Ral

If there aren't any systems in place on the sites to help discovery (like SH and RR, though not Tapas), then releasing more fictions is probably the best way to spread word.
RR actually have a Complete list page accessible through the Read menu. They also have the Surprise Me feature that randomly selects stories and complete fictions is likely to appear there. Also, considering that RR has a very active reader base, with lots of reviews, comments, etc., which provides a lot of avenues for discovery of completed stories. Their search feature also doesn't prioritize Ongoing fictions unlike SH.

Queenfisher

Bird?
RR actually have a Complete list page accessible through the Read menu. They also have the Surprise Me feature that randomly selects stories and complete fictions is likely to appear there. Also, considering that RR has a very active reader base, with lots of reviews, comments, etc., which provides a lot of avenues for discovery of completed stories. Their search feature also doesn't prioritize Ongoing fictions unlike SH.

One thing I also like about RR forums --> main site is that it takes me no effort to go to the author's profile from their forum one and check out their books. Especially because a lot of discussions there are so writer-opinion-heavy and they almost always make me want to check out their books just from their posts.

Yeah, I know it's not that hard to click several buttons to go from the SHF author's profile to the SH one, but --

I'm incredibly lazy, so...

:sweat_smile:

(Just wish there was an easier option to just click on all your names and immediately go to the main site ^^. Not everyone here has clickable banners, unfortunately).

thedude3445

Oops, you're right. That site has a lot of issues with discovery, but you definitely can search Complete stories, and ones by genre, quite easily. In fact, it takes about five seconds to start from the Complete tag and find multiple of my completed stories on there.

thedude3445

The ironic thing about this thread is that the story received a bunch more pageviews right after I posted about this... lol

I'm still interested in hearing about what things can be done to help promote a story in general (NOT specific to my story), especially on Scribble Hub, a site I'm still not incredibly familiar with even after a year or so. The main takeaways so far seem to be: "Make a sequel," "Make more books and pray people go back to the old ones." and "Shill on the forums." Are there other pieces of advice, or things that other authors have done themselves?

Erios909

I've come into a puzzling dilemma that I'm not sure how to solve (or if it's even worth solving). When you finish a story, what can you do to make sure it doesn't just sit around and gather dust? I've been pondering this for a while to no avail so far.

My story Hands Held in the Snow finished in early August on its main site, and on August 31st on Scribble Hub and Tapas, and it was a bit of an event at the time, especially for the people actively reading it since the beginning. It was really fun to go on this nine-month journey with the readers and my characters alike. But since then... it's been kinda slow. A few people have finished it on Royal Road, and recently the story got more attention on Tapas, but it's still significantly less readership than when it was still serializing. I kind of expected that there'd be more people who had the story bookmarked and were waiting for it to finish to read the whole thing, but I'm not sure that's happened so far. On Scribble Hub, in fact, only ten registered users have read the story at all since it finished, and only one finished.

Not complaining about it, of course, because I'm glad anyone's been reading to begin with. But I've been trying to figure out how to get more people to read the story now that the whole thing's available.

I know the story isn't the issue, at least if reviews and comments from readers are to be believed. So then it's got to be an issue that it's just not very easy for readers to discover the story anymore, or something like that. I guess? Besides adding all-new content (e.g. bonus chapters, art, Q&As), what can an author do to promote their stories to more readers after it's complete?

Keep writing new things, and link back to them in the author's notes would be my advice. (Although I've no real experience with it!)