How to Capture a Story?

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
A story is made out of many elements, consisting of pure words and clever use of the English literatures that many authors and teachers share everyday. As history progresses, these key elements develops and many other ammunition is crafted. Not just that, writers seems to have diverted their thoughts on genre trends as they want social recognition of their effort of creating a story. However, does appealing to the trend captures a story? What is the real worth of a story anyway? Isn't it like the vain of all people's pent up emotions and self-fulfillment desires? One thing coincides with the other though, we don't know if they capture a story. I've read bedtime stories to questionable stories, I had the thoughts that few others will ask.

What captures a story? How to capture a story?

Is a story just about putting words together to create a sentence until it becomes a single paragraph? Or is all stories worth comes from its ability to tell tales? Back in 1893, stories were regarded profound for the moral lesson that existed in each of them. The stories packed with emotions, were also packed with poison that contained the reality of this world. They captured a story, but does that mean a story is a story if it has a moral lesson and can make the readers emotional?

Let's have a trip to the East Continent, stories really weren't meant anything until the Japanese waged war. It may have been something, but that wasn't as popular as luxury and heirarchy back then. It as because it was used as a weapon in a war. It told truths that exposed evil in a form of a story. Words were like a double-edged sword, hiding a meaning that would further bust the corruption in its entirety and the members behind it. Providing two stories at the same time, many people regarded this form of element so rare that it became the soiling point of all authors even now. So, what does this all mean? Can a story really be captured if you use it to help the world? What if it has a deep dark meaning inside an innocent one?

Stories nowadays are just stories. Sometimes, you could feel the emotions inside of it. Sometimes, it is devoid of just emotions. Let's not hope that it comes to a point where a story is a story when it reached the required popularity and reader base. The world of writing needs no such thing as that, and would be better if everyone gets a chance to be acknowledged.

Nonetheless, what do you think captures a story?

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Well, to capture anything, you need to plan for a bit first. They say every war is decided before it breaks out, and so, you need to prepare appropriate industry and infrastructure in advance.

On the strategic map, these are represented by factories and railways. But when it comes to kidnapping, you should go deeper rather than wider.
But if you have a basement, a car, and a secluded location, you're pretty much set.

Then, intelligence. Find out where your story lives and works, and if the story has any friends or family. Isolate the story when it's most vulnerable, and attack from stealth. Industrial products such as rope and chloroform are indispensable. And be quick...the first couple of seconds decide everything!

Then, if you did it right, you will soon have a nice hard-bound story wiggling in your trunk.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I feel that stories always teach us something in an entertaining way. However, what we consider a story changes as we get older and learn new things. The books I read to my baby are often simply words accompanied by pictures of the things that represent those words.

Motsu

Well, to capture anything, you need to plan for a bit first. They say every war is decided before it breaks out, and so, you need to prepare appropriate industry and infrastructure in advance.

On the strategic map, these are represented by factories and railways. But when it comes to kidnapping, you should go deeper rather than wider.
But if you have a basement, a car, and a secluded location, you're pretty much set.

Then, intelligence. Find out where your story lives and works, and if the story has any friends or family. Isolate the story when it's most vulnerable, and attack from stealth. Industrial products such as rope and chloroform are indispensable. And be quick...the first couple of seconds decide everything!

Then, if you did it right, you will soon have a nice hard-bound story wiggling in your trunk.
What the—hmm, you know, that's logical. Will try!

However, what we consider a story changes as we get older and learn new things.
While stories remain static, we change every day. Perspectives play a huge factor when writing a story, as it greatly affects how we capture a story. However, once we think that our belief is right, it isn't easy to change them. Capturing a story is complicated, and people who try to understand them in their own way won't truly capture a story.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
While stories remain static, we change every day. Perspectives play a huge factor when writing a story, as it greatly affects how we capture a story.

And this is why my longest book is now on hiatus.

CynicalStrawberry

I think a "story" goes beyond these bounds and we could debate the philosophical question of what is a story any day. But when it comes to writing or even telling stories, it always starts with one thing for me: a scene. A scene of something that happens or one single moment. If I'm telling someone about the deer I saw walking mast my car or the sunset I got to see, those are all moments, scenes that evoke some emotion within me or the listener.

Then for stories I write on here, it usually starts similarly with a scene I want to see. Typically such scenes for me may include when the main character reveals their true strength or something comedic like when the main character has a conversation with his pet mongoose. Either way, it's the scene that gets in my head: an emotion I want to express, something I want to happen, and the story grows from there. In some cases, it's a short story and the story is the scene itself. In others, the story grows from one scene consisting of less than 1000 words to a 40K word novel. Regardless, it's all from a scene and the emotions involved.

Motsu

I think a "story" goes beyond these bounds and we could debate the philosophical question of what is a story any day. But when it comes to writing or even telling stories, it always starts with one thing for me: a scene. A scene of something that happens or one single moment. If I'm telling someone about the deer I saw walking mast my car or the sunset I got to see, those are all moments, scenes that evoke some emotion within me or the listener.

Then for stories I write on here, it usually starts similarly with a scene I want to see. Typically such scenes for me may include when the main character reveals their true strength or something comedic like when the main character has a conversation with his pet mongoose. Either way, it's the scene that gets in my head: an emotion I want to express, something I want to happen, and the story grows from there. In some cases, it's a short story and the story is the scene itself. In others, the story grows from one scene consisting of less than 1000 words to a 40K word novel. Regardless, it's all from a scene and the emotions involved.
Stories will always start with a scene. It is often said that writing the beginning of a story is much difficult than building from the beginning. Obviously, when writing we follow the plot's element; the Freytag's pyramid. Emotions, too, play a huge part in a stories' development. It engages the audiences, and create a thrilling suspense. However, does starting a story with a vague, memorable or awe-inspiring beginning capture a story? What about following the pattern or the emotions? If you feel that incorporating these aspects capture a story, then I'll respect your opinion.

Last edited:

Varstark

Let's have a trip to the East Continent, stories really weren't meant anything until the Japanese waged war.
The first wave of wako pirates on Korea, the Imjin War, or the first Sino-Japanese war? And what did the Japanese do that was new under the sun?

Edit: Internet is terrible for naunce. Not antagonising, just genuinely asking.

Motsu

The first wave of wako pirates on Korea, the Imjin War, or the first Sino-Japanese war? And what did the Japanese do that was new under the sun?

Edit: Internet is terrible for naunce. Not antagonising, just genuinely asking.
If you read the statement clearly, it states to the Japanese Period, their occupation in the Philippines. Well, I do not expect everyone here to be literature historians so I should've said it right off the bat.

Chlorine

Interesting topic. Capturing stories is like capturing a picture. You're just taking pictures of a view without any question. What you get is what you feel content on staying with. If someone says its bad, you then feel compelled to change it or stay true to yourself. It's just not good enough, and there is always something that is missing. You then keep on snapping until you get it or you don't.

Motsu

Interesting topic. Capturing stories is like capturing a picture. You're just taking pictures of a view without any question. What you get is what you feel content on staying with. If someone says its bad, you then feel compelled to change it or stay true to yourself. It's just not good enough, and there is always something that is missing. You then keep on snapping until you get it or you don't.
I am not a photographer, but okay. There aren't much to delve at common points about writing anyway, so I might as well start shutting up.