How to deal with non-english readers

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
So recently there’s been a Spanish reader on my old chapters. And this reader likes to ask questions about certain plot points etc… I had to translate what they were saying to understand anything (they’re actually pretty funny) before I could answer their questions. Thanks to a few knowledgeable friends, I found out about a site that’s even better than google translate, called DeepL. It has 28 languages so it’s not invincible or anything. I was nervous typing out the english answer and having it be translated in Spanish but… it works amazingly! The reader has been replying back and it’s going well!

Do you guys have any non-english readers (who’s translated your book)? If so, if they were to ever comment on anything, I recommend DeepL. :blobthumbsup:

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
(Spanish-speaking fella here) So... This person can read your stuff, but can't communicate in english?
I don’t understand how it works either but they copied a paragraph of my chapter and it was in Spanish…

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
For the record, DeepL works well for short sentences, but it can be pretty troublesome with long texts.

Especially because it seems to just give up on paragraphs at some points... It goes like, "I don't know what this means, but I'm sure you do." or "If you need help in using the internet, don't be afraid to contact us" or something like it.

This can get... Really annoying if you're trying to translate larger amounts of text, so do use it with some caution and make sure to pay attention to what are the usual stock messages that DeepL sends when it goes like "Okay, I give up on this paragraph.", because you can easily think that it's an actual translation otherwise.

If you take that aside, then DeepL is actually functional... I don't think it's worth the bother if you primarily want large texts translated, but it works with short texts~

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
So recently there’s been a Spanish reader on my old chapters. And this reader likes to ask questions about certain plot points etc… I had to translate what they were saying to understand anything (they’re actually pretty funny) before I could answer their questions. Thanks to a few knowledgeable friends, I found out about a site that’s even better than google translate, called DeepL. It has 28 languages so it’s not invincible or anything. I was nervous typing out the english answer and having it be translated in Spanish but… it works amazingly! The reader has been replying back and it’s going well!

Do you guys have any non-english readers (who’s translated your book)? If so, if they were to ever comment on anything, I recommend DeepL. :blobthumbsup:
There’s a Russian guy on my discord and I think he read a bit of my stuff

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□

You don't deal with them

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
(Spanish-speaking fella here) So... This person can read your stuff, but can't communicate in english?
they translate the chapters. I had a dude who did that. Google chrome's store has the google TL extension that you can use to auto translate web pages into your own language.
For the record, DeepL works well for short sentences, but it can be pretty troublesome with long texts.

Especially because it seems to just give up on paragraphs at some points... It goes like, "I don't know what this means, but I'm sure you do." or "If you need help in using the internet, don't be afraid to contact us" or something like it.

This can get... Really annoying if you're trying to translate larger amounts of text, so do use it with some caution and make sure to pay attention to what are the usual stock messages that DeepL sends when it goes like "Okay, I give up on this paragraph.", because you can easily think that it's an actual translation otherwise.

If you take that aside, then DeepL is actually functional... I don't think it's worth the bother if you primarily want large texts translated, but it works with short texts~
google has this problem too. Just dont build more than two or three sentences.

Jayrayme6

I use DeepL to speed up the translation of my french webnovel. It's ok to translate words' meanings but sometimes the style is lost and the sentences sound unnatural. I'm planning to write my second arc in English instead and then translate it to French, which might help the english version to get more views.

Agentt

Thighs
I had a Vietnamese reader who was pretty bad at English. While she did understood what was written, her own text was riddled with grammatical errors.

And...we just talked? like, she understood it well enough and she could write it well enough, so I never had problems. There were a few cased when I had to mail a chinese or Japanese fellow to ask if I could use their art for my projects, and google translate was fine for that.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
I had a Vietnamese reader who was pretty bad at English. While she did understood what was written, her own text was riddled with grammatical errors.

And...we just talked? like, she understood it well enough and she could write it well enough, so I never had problems. There were a few cased when I had to mail a chinese or Japanese fellow to ask if I could use their art for my projects, and google translate was fine for that.
Yeah, google translate works well, it just hasn’t helped enough when I had French in school. You could say I’m petty. But DeepL, from others suggestions, works just as well, if not better so you can try it out if you ever want to!