How to get back into writing fast?

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I haven't written anything in weeks and I'm having a hard time starting anything. Even before I was having kind of a hard time and only managing about 1 chapter a week. Anyone have any ideas to kick myself back into shape?

Daitengu

A short 10 chpt and under story? I find low commitment helps starting back up into things.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Relax, that is the best thing you can do. You can't rush a creative process, otherwise, you end up with a half baked product, and only you will know that you are not meeting up to your own standards.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Hmm, for me, what I do is I play games, see series, draw, uh bake. I do other things, then I come back, reread my story and it just flows out of me. Sometimes I can't stop and end up writing 20k words in a week.

Though, I think you should see why you aren't wanting to write. The only way to avoid this is to know yourself. Is there something in your life affecting you? Those types of things.

For me, it is an emotional escape, so when I feel crappy, I write more than when I feel excited about other things. Though sometimes I'm on the floor and nothing comes out. So it depends on how tired a day leaves me too. But this is just me.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I haven't written anything in weeks and I'm having a hard time starting anything. Even before I was having kind of a hard time and only managing about 1 chapter a week. Anyone have any ideas to kick myself back into shape?
Get a journal or something, if might remind you to write more. Also just plan on writing 2 words every hour. Just two words. Literally just two words. I bet you can’t just write two words.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Read a different long story you haven’t read yet that really hooks you and replenish your creative juices with it. That’s how it happened for me after three months of mindlessly watching GTA RP on twitch every day without writing anything.

LostLibrarian

Just do it.

Honestly, the longer you think about starting or what the best way of starting is or whatever, the more reasons you'll find to start later. If you want to go back to writing, then open your story, re-read the last chapter, and then start writing the next one.

It's the same as working. A million people want to be fit and look great. But they find a billion reasons to start tomorrow. It's cold, they don't have the right clothing, they don't know what training is the best for a beginner, they start to read 10 different fitness blogs about the best training program, but first they need to learn the right food intake, ...

If you want to start, then sit down and start. Just write. Even if you only write for an hour, see 500 shitty words, and delete everything. Do that three or four times and you'll land on something you like. And then you continue from there. And at some point you'll have some kind of routine. And if you can't find anything for your current story, just write something else until you are back into it.

It's not about motivation or being hyped up. That stops after a few weeks or days. It's about sitting down and forcing yourself to do it...

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
I can painfully relate to this. My best thing was to take a break, force myself to sit down and write a chapter and then allow myself to delete or edit as much of the chapter as I wanted to. Then, short or long, I had to read through it and your writer block might lessen through this. Maybe.

GodlessEmperor

Emperor of trash writing
Empty your mind of your worldly desire for chapters and start meditating. Once you are empty, the chapters will come to fill the emptiness inside you by themselves.

MisterSyafiq

Just write whatever you had imagine at the moment, Ah, Your reality experience of that day might could also be a materials. It's recommendated to explore something about your genre... it could be throught game, comic , other novel , and do read the comment of those. it wouls sure help you get some new idea, at least for me so far

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Not being super busy to the point you're always suffering high body temperature while sitting inside your house sweating like you've just run a marathon during a heat wave helps greatly.

if you have 0 willpower and a non existent attention span such as myself, remove any and all distractions (games, youtube, twitch, etc.). then follow the rest of the advice here. you'll find yourself with nothing to do and will be eventually forced to start writing. set up an arbitrary schedule and try your best to stick to it.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Talking about myself here, I usually just reread my stories? By the time I catch up, I’d already have a few ideas I want to implement and it makes it easier to write.
I'm planning to do that before I get back into writing, too. I have a baby who needs to grow up first, though.

FGCCheckmate

Try a writing sprint. Some writing servers in Discord have a bot set-up for it. There's also sites like 4thewords. When you're writing against a time limit, it can really kick you into gear.

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
Don't focus on grammar and spelling errors, just write. If you don't start writing, then you will never finish even one chapter. Oh, and don't listen to criticism, especially in your head, because that will only lose your motivation.

pretend to be a criminal mastermind and make plans to kill everyone you meet. who knows whether it will come in handy.