How to get readers fast

Notadate

Learn to write. Make chapter. And post.

That‘s all to it, not countin: quality, length, plot, genre, and finally improvement.

Just keep posting, and slowly, but surely, people will start reading.

[You’ve read the thread]
[You Feel Determined]

This was totally not made for a undertale joke

-

Also smut. Smut. Just write smut. People fucking love that shit, even if it’s shit quality

D

Deleted member 54065

Another tip: bait them with false tags. In SH, popular tags are Gender Bender, and Smut. So put an irrelevant character that gender bends in your story, and as the OP said, smut smut smut smut smut.

(Seriously, just post consistently.)

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Follow the trend and write? If you write a clone of a clone of a clone, people who are fixated to the genre will suck it up.

Post regularly at a pace (monthly is a pace) and commit to the bit.

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
plug your story in the forum + story isn't shit = success
Guess I need to start doing that. Except, blegh, effort and being social...

As others have said, using popular tags/tropes will help, as will lewdity, and anime girls on the cover. Many people ignore stories without covers, which I consider stupid, personally, so you want to make sure you have one. Avoid spelling and grammar errors in your synopsis, and especially in your title itself. Consistent and common posting helps a great deal as well - a story that updates three times a week gets noticed more than one that updates once a week, which itself gets noticed more than one that updates once a month.

And while gaining readers is nice, you also want to try to keep them from leaving, otherwise you need a constant stream of new people just to stay stable. Being polite and interacting with those who comment is helpful for that, as is letting people know if you are going to miss posting in the future. Similarly, having the story or individual characters do an abrupt shift that does not logically fit can easily drive people away. You also want to maintain or increase the quality of your writing, and it can be quite obvious if you no longer care about your story, since that often leads to quality reduction. As such, there can be cases where halting your writing for a time can be better than continuing to post.

Rookieqw

Post on Wattpad lol

Scribblehub: 3093 views since August
Wattpad: 6700 views since August
No one ever checks my novel on Wattapad. Literally, all views (all five of them), on Wattapad are my own. I thought it was impossible, but here we are. While here, people are reading my story.

Am I doing something wrong? I actually thought that Wattapad was dead, lol.

D

Deleted member 54065

No one ever checks my novel on Wattapad. Literally, all views (all five of them), on Wattapad are my own. I thought it was impossible, but here we are. While here, people are reading my story.

Am I doing something wrong? I actually thought that Wattapad was dead, lol.
How often do you post/update your chapters? What are the tags you are using? What is the word count per chapter?

Those are the questions that the answers can affect your views on Wattpad.

Let me tell you my experience there. Before, I used to upload my chapters in its entirety. As a writer whose per chapter word count is around 4k words on average, it was an intimidating wall of text to an average Wattpad reader. My solution? I divide my chapters into two or three parts nowadays.

Upload consistently, but not too soon after the last chapter so some of your readers can update their chapter reads. I learned this the hard way. My story was being uploaded every other day before, and with the type of reader and the number of words per chapter, it meant quite an insurmountable wall of text every time my readers go to my story page to read. Hence, my views are low in my first days on Wattpad. Give them a breather; for me, I upload/update my chapters every weekends.

Finally, the tags. Before, I use my 'own' tags (based on my perception). Then, I started to look for popular stories similar to mine, and I found a lot of tags they're using are not found in my own work. When I did change my tags, my rankings got boosted, and so is my presence in that site (though not too popular, but at least, the views increased).

Additional tip: an old friend using Wattpad told me to research about the 'leisure' hours of my target audience. My target audience is 'international', so it's impossible to find a 'unified' leisure time for them, so in my case, I upload twice every weekends: one in the morning, one in the evening.

Finally, you should also consider that some readers who are interested in your work would prefer to wait for more chapters uploaded, so they can binge read it. After all, who wants to be left hanging (unless you're suicidal, like me), right?

Properly ending your stories would also be a plus on increasing views there.

Rookieqw

How often do you post/update your chapters? What are the tags you are using? What is the word count per chapter?
Action, Army, Cyborg, Dragons, Fantasy, Femaleprotagonist, fighting, military, monsters, mutants, superpowers, weapons and so on.

Thanks for the advice! I think I will delete my current work on Wattapad, do some research, and reupload, making the chapters smaller. Since I have no readers out there, it should not hurt anyone.

Have the last words in your uploaded chapter ever merged together on Wattapad? For example, instead of "and she" for example, it uploads as "andshe". It only ever happens at the end of the chapter, and I always check for mistakes before publishing. Yet after I open the chapter, this mistake happens, which is incredibly annoying, to tell the truth.

D

Deleted member 54065

Have the last words in your uploaded chapter ever merged together on Wattapad? For example, instead of "and she" for example, it uploads as "andshe". It only ever happens at the end of the chapter, and I always check for mistakes before publishing. Yet after I open the chapter, this mistake happens, which is incredibly annoying, to tell the truth.
I haven't experienced that. Maybe a graphics problem with your computer? Or, if you're not sure, you can make an account in Inkitt and use their UI to upload and fix your chapters (just don't publish it if you don't want to publish there).

You can also use the HoneyFeed UI if you don't want to work on Inkitt.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Just use drugs
Depends on the reader.

PCP for those who prefer lucid writing.
Meth for people who like aggressive and paranoid.
THC for… happy stuff.

I just realized how awful this post of mine is… I’ll end it here.

Notadate

Just use drugs
That doesn’t work for more readers, but effective in writing. Got food poisonin, and major bad hallucination. Used that as writing material
-
Im so fucking up my mc. He gets my pain!