How to get your first Patron?

redron1028

Hello guys, I just would like to know how to attract readers that are willing to spend money to support a writer? My Patreon page is two years old already but no one is coming on there, I think. Can you share some ideas? Thanks in advance if I'll be receiving responses :D

Hello guys, I just would like to know how to attract readers that are willing to spend money to support a writer? My Patreon page is two years old already but no one is coming on there, I think. Can you share some ideas? Thanks in advance if I'll be receiving responses :D
I am in no position to comment, but I imagine... you'd just need to let your fan base know that your Patreon exists and there are tiered rewards... maybe, and go from there. I mean if you have 5 or 6 thousand readers, one or two Patreon is not that beyond the pale.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
A solid reader base would be great for one thing. Also, if your rewards/offers aren't really attractive enough then people would likely not want to be a Patron. After all, that's what they're paying for.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Just browse through all the most successful patreons on the site, list the benefits their tiers give, cross reference them and do your own research from there.

UnknownNovelist

Yea; my experiences, as a reader, the things I would expect of an author would be;
1. Make good use of the author note section in each chapter to highlight your new Patreon.
2. Have a good steady release cycle!!
3. Have a reasonable tiered system that all gives access to early-release chapters. I'd suggest something like 2, 5, 10, 25, 50 dollars tiers, where all tiers give access to all early release chapters, but higher tiers give extra stuff, e.g. give patreon donor the possibility to name a character, monthly meeting with author, access to artwork, acknowledgements on chapter releases, etc.
3a. You could make a limited time offer of 50-100 $1 tier.
4. Accept that it takes time to build a fan base and gather Patrons. I was the first patreon of @Spade (author of Origin Seeker), and now, through his own sheer effort he has risen to 12 patrons over a month and around 30+ releases later.
5. Encourage your readers to like/favourite each chapter released, as this will build up your ranking on the Favorites ranking list, thus gathering more readers, and thereby more potential patrons.
6. Encourage your readers to leave a constructive review.
7. Engage with your readers in the comment section, but do not make polls and notice chapters unless absolutely necessary (e.g., going on hiatus). Nothing annoys me more than getting excited about a new chapter only to be let down with a notice announcing something that could have be said in the author section of the chapter.
8. There are 2 author sections for chapters, use the top one to warn readers of content and aknowledgements. The bottom one for shameless requests for reviews, likes, and Patreon ads.
9. Use your patreon feed to tease chapters, daily life, and so on. Theres a community section in Patreon, use it with the knowledge that the readers on Patreon are your top fans, and a more invested in your story than regular ones on ScribbleHub.
10. Use patreon to enable readers to get ahead of the standard release. I'd suggest having something like 5-10 chapters in backlog for this.
11. I'd suggest going with a monthly payment system on Patreon, instead of chapters, as this makes it more manageable for readers to plan their economy.
12. Be upfront with your readers on how many chapters/words they can expect each month, and make sure to keep your promise.

Here are some other stuff I notice a few newbie authors do;
11. Don't insert author notes in clear text in the middle of the story. Your can link author notes or other explanations with a footnote instead (not really relevant to your question, but I thought I might as well throw it in here).

Kuropon

Step 1 get readers, Step 2 make Patreon, Step 3 write forward chapters on Patreon ahead of the release schedule to entice readers. Step 4 place them in tiers on your Patreon and then just wait.

IvyVeritas

In addition to the suggestions above, I'd like to add a few more thoughts.

First, you've got to have something people want to pay for. Something well written and compelling. (This isn't a comment on your writing; I haven't looked at your story yet. This is more for anyone else who might visit this page for guidance.)

Second, some readers will be reluctant to support a Patreon account that isn't already successful. I've never signed up for a Patreon with fewer than 20 members. It's kind of a catch-22. That means you'll have to make some decisions about optics. Do you want a Patreon account that languishes as you slowly build up a reader base, or do you want to start strong?

To start strong, you need to have a solid reader base in place, as NiQuinn suggested. You'll be lucky to convert 1% of your readers to patrons, at least at first. You can convert more than that, but it takes time and consistent output. I have a little under 8000 readers of my weekly chapter posts (exact numbers are hard to figure out because they're spread across multiple sites that track readership in different ways). I've converted nearly 3% of those, but it's taken over a year. Some authors will have better conversion rates than me, but they're not likely to be wildly better. The nature of free web serials is that most readers will stick with the free version.

To build up a reader base, you need to make sure you're reaching a big enough audience, and the right audience. I like ScribbleHub, but it's the smallest of the four sites I post my story to--and my story doesn't match the most popular genres here. I'm not sure if I've gotten a single patron from here.

Please note that no matter how good your story is, it'll be very unlikely to reach the level of, say, pirateaba's Wandering Inn, The First Defier's Defiance of the Fall, or Tefler's Three Square Meals (three of the most successful web serial Patreon accounts that I know of). In addition to good writing and finding the right audience, luck and timing also play a role.

But since they *are* so successful, they're good models to look at when deciding how to structure your Patreon.