How to get your novel on trending list?

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
My genshin account got hacked right before hu tao banner, and my password was changed.

It took support three weeks to get it back for me and wouldn't even lock the account, the hacker spent 150$ worth of Primo I had saved up

Mihoyo did 0 compensation(wouldn't even revert the account), and basically told me "sucks to be you"

Seeing anything Genshin makes me irrationally angry now. I had a diluc alt but just playing the game pisses me off now so I quit. It's a shame because I had every 5* up until then except for, Diluc on that account.
That's the problem with games like this... Even though it's pretty fun, the whole thing just amounts to an overly complicated scam.

AnnonBee

There is problem with the algorithm. But you need to publish 5 chapters to be on trending.

KittraMcBriar

If it was the reason, I wouldn't have posted it. There is a quite a few listed within 100, didn't have 10k view. But what irked me most was a novel with 367 views made it to tue trending list. Yes, you read it right, just 367, not 367k. That is why i am asking it. Even if it have some algorithm, it should at least be logical.
I have no frued with the author or the novel. I just want to point out the error in the trending list algorithm. If I really offended anybody, I am really sorry.
Omg that’s my book, I had no idea it was ever trending lmao

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Omg that’s my book, I had no idea it was ever trending lmao
What sometimes can happen is that trending ranking don't finish calculating but the front page refreshes. In that case, some stories might end up on a front page for 20 or so minutes until the ranks are settled in and the front page updates once again, now to last for a whole day. I had it happen both ways - I've started at the top only to be knocked down to #11 and I was #20 only to find myself trending an hour after.

RaizarP

A Giga Chad
I just realized another thing about trending, it seems if your novel is below certain total words your novel will not appear in the trending.

My original novel had more growth in view and readers rather than my fanfic, but the one who gets into trending was my fic instead of my novel. Because my novel just got total of 7K words. From that, I think you need minimal 9K/10K words in order for your novel to get into a trending.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I just realized another thing about trending, it seems if your novel is below certain total words your novel will not appear in the trending.

My original novel had more growth in view and readers rather than my fanfic, but the one who gets into trending was my fic instead of my novel. Because my novel just got total of 7K words. From that, I think you need minimal 9K/10K words in order for your novel to get into a trending.
Well, fanfic is a popular genre too.

RaizarP

A Giga Chad
Well, fanfic is a popular genre too.
there was that, but my novel growth is better than my fanfic in the stats, now I tried to hit 10K words and see if my theory is correct about minimal words to get into the trending

AnnonBee

there was that, but my novel growth is better than my fanfic in the stats, now I tried to hit 10K words and see if my theory is correct about minimal words to get into the trending
It might be because it was leeching the reader base from your fanfic. After all, your fanfic is spending most of its time on the front page.

RaizarP

A Giga Chad
It might be because it was leeching the reader base from your fanfic. After all, your fanfic is spending most of its time on the front page.
I don't think so, the base reader of my fic and novel is different. From what I saw in the stats, most of my readers came from the Second Tempest link or novelupdates ad, not from my profile.

KittraMcBriar

Oh hey I made it to Trending again, neato

Attachments

• DDB068E0-029A-4ACC-88C8-E4EFDAC66845.png
    DDB068E0-029A-4ACC-88C8-E4EFDAC66845.png
    813.5 KB · Views: 62

Trashlyn

wait!?

How trending is calculated is a mystery to most people? Some friends and I worked it out a year ago, not the exact algorithm in its entirety but a pretty solid picture starting with:

Trending and Rising are not the same thing! How Rising is calculated is the easy part, Trending is Rising with additional transformations applied to that ranking to determine the Trending Rankings (which explains how and why the top ten trending can differ from the top ten rising).

The may be some additional parameters between the rising ranking and trending rankings that act as controls meant to weed out attempts to game it or add to variety.

But generally without giving too much away, the difference between rising and trending is trending differentiates between what i dub low interaction high views "Junk food" stories and high interaction medium-high views "Fulfilling" stories. Basically it differentiates the stories you just read like junk food without really engaging and the stories you feel compelled to leave comments, likes, ratings, reviews etc for.

Now generating interactions and engagement is another story entirely.

Part of it is too do with the story and making it exciting, engaging and/or resonating with your readers, which can be harder if your story is one of many very similar trope and meme heavy isekai imo.

The other part is initiating the engagement, replying to comments, communicating with readers with pre and post chapter notes, hell even stating you appreciate comments. Stuff like building a community among your readers offsite via social forums or discords also helps. Building a rapport with your readers and encouraging predictions and theorycrafting among your readers and give them vague maybe yes maybe no answers or answering other non-spoiler questions etc.

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
10k words, not a requirement.png
I hated it at first, but I guess I like Screenshots now?

Ah, I hope they don't get bullied too much.

Oh look, you're on there too.

Last edited:

RaizarP

A Giga Chad

yes, I just found that, like I said it's just a theory. My novel got ranked 38 in the Rising today too, so my theory was wrong

Trashlyn

I post about as often as I finish chapters but i have found I semi-reliably wind up in top 10 trending.

without gaming it there are some factors which do help you:

You're more likely to get on it if you only post weekly/fortnightly/monthly (which suits me because I am a slow writer) because you will have a flatline of views then a spike, trending likes spikes. Posting daily or even every two days can cause your view graph to become less spikey which while is more sustainable for views and reader retention is less so for getting noticed by the trending algorithm.

Posting right after 12am greenwich meantime when scribblehub resets its count for daily views increases the odds that most of the views for a new chapter will be within a single 24 hour period as the site counts it, ensuring a higher daily score rather than splitting it across two days.

Working on your engagement, promptly replying to readers in your comments, engaging with them via post chapter notes and votes etc and potential building a community for your readers on a discord server or one for your patreons. Building a relationship with your readers so they do more than just read and maybe leave a like, get them commenting etc.

Also remembering that trending isn't a huge deal, its great for exposure but not worth burning youself out or attaching your self esteem to it and that it is better to if you can post as frequently as you can while maintaining quality without burning out. Trending 's biggest use honestly is exposure, but there are other ways for getting that like tagging your story well, getting good cover art and a good lure of a synopsis and potentially advertising your story on social media.

P.s. This is just a general lesson for views, I have seen a number of authors come here from other sites and then dump all the chapters for their story at once and end up unnoticed with almost no views, its better to stagger out the release putting out a chapter or two or three (depending how many you have) every three to five days or so until you catch back up to your current release. When I moved my first series I did this but I also made sure to justify it by doing an extra edit sweep and making improvements over the version I posted on previous sites, especially going back and strengthening my prose and the internal voice of my characters.