How to get your novel on trending list?

AnnonBee

Try reaching 10K total views/week.
If it was the reason, I wouldn't have posted it. There is a quite a few listed within 100, didn't have 10k view. But what irked me most was a novel with 367 views made it to tue trending list. Yes, you read it right, just 367, not 367k. That is why i am asking it. Even if it have some algorithm, it should at least be logical.
I have no frued with the author or the novel. I just want to point out the error in the trending list algorithm. If I really offended anybody, I am really sorry.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-07-29-17-01-46-805_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-07-29-17-01-46-805_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 82

SailusGebel

If it was the reason, I wouldn't have posted it. There is a quite a few listed within 100, didn't have 10k view. But what irked me most was a novel with 367 views made it to tue trending list. Yes, you read it right, just 367, not 367k. That is why i am asking it. Even if it have some algorithm, it should at least be logical.
Who said it should be logical? The algorithm should be whatever the owner of the site desire.

CypherTails

The thing that I want to know is how the heck Tony FINALLY got the trending list to operate in a way where Wifu picture covers were not overly favored anymore.

I have been with SH since close to the beginning and I've watched the trending list evolve over time. It seems like every time people notice an exploit that gets sub-par series onto trending frequently, it somehow gets fixed. I had my doubts as to whether or not the wifu images on the covers was a problem that even had a fix at all. I mean, technically it is an organic response. People just feel more compelled to click on those ones. But, somehow Tony actually managed to address it, which makes me incredibly happy.

But, actually, the fact that the system currently somehow compensates for people being misled by the cover does indicate something. It would mean the current system prefers actual engagement with the chapters, which means total views is not favored in the algorithm. It has to be looking at actual chapter views. And, it probably does not favor views on the first two or three chapters as well as it does later chapters.

I suspect there are ratios in there, like how likely is a reader to rate or fav. How much discussion is in the chapter relative to the amount of readers. What percentage of people who stumble across the novel are likely to continue reading and not just click off.

All of these are almost impossible to game, since the story actually has to be good in order to stimulate discussion, favs and reader retention. Well technically you can with a shit ton of effort but I think that will take hours a day to do successfully. Plus considering this is also based on growth the demands for fake accounts should increase exponentially over time as well.
I have no frued with the author or the novel. I just want to point out the error in the trending list algorithm. If I really offended anybody, I am really sorry.

Yeah that's an odd one but honestly for trending. There are around four categories there.

Top 9/ Front page: Huge Growth easily double or more views for that day
Top 25/first of trending page: Decent growth
Top 25-50/ second page: Kind of ok growth but not that significant
Top 50 onwards: Marginal growth to useless (Although not always)

If you look at the story now, it's position 63 on trending today and has 10 views today so far. So yeah not a big deal. The real breakthroughs are within the top 25. I don't even check past the 2nd page for my stories honestly, if I even check. I usually only find out because of a spike in views.

Last edited:

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
I can't express how much I love these threads. Other writers trying to decipher trending. Little do you know, if someone comes even remotely close to the truth, Tony will just change it without anyone knowing. :blob_evil:

CypherTails

I can't express how much I love these threads. Other writers trying to decipher trending. Little do you know, if someone comes even remotely close to the truth, Tony will just change it without anyone knowing. :blob_evil:

Honestly at this point from my observations gaming it is not possible and now it's devolved into my own personal mystery plot and the search for the truth.

SailusGebel

Agree. People as well overlook that changing the trending = increasing the workload of Tony. Yet time and time again, people comment in these threads as they try to decipher the trending.

JK-Sama

Speaking from experience here, you can schedule more than 60-70 chapters twice a day daily (for 1-2 months) and still not get on trending at all. Bottom line is, it's going to be completely and utterly RNG/luck.

In my case though. I'm not writing a popular genre, and some of my early chapters back then(ch9 to like ch17) weren't reflective of my later chapters so I personally had that going against me. In that whole time I didn't bother doing any form of promotion for my scribblehub release much less telling readers on RR that I was posting here.

Bottom line x2, just keep writing and if the mighty algorithm senpai notices you, then it notices you.

Last edited:

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
There is an on/off system to trending. Most of the time do not expect to be in the rankings at all on odd days. So if you were ranked anywhere on Monday you will be absent on Tuesday. There are ways to be on trending two days in a row but that is due to shifting of this on/off schedule, which could happen if you change your chapter posting schedule. (or post chapters every 5 or 7 days. maybe 3 but I haven't checked that)

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
Haha, the joke is that the trending list is manually selected. There is no algorithm to game.

punchew

>Be me
>Write some rubbish catgirl novel with weird formatting
>Get to trending
>do a triple upload
>Reach #1
>Stop being #1 for a week
>Reach #1 again
>Put series on hiatus
:blob_shade:

AnnonBee

>Be me
>Write some rubbish catgirl novel with weird formatting
>Get to trending
>do a triple upload
>Reach #1
>Stop being #1 for a week
>Reach #1 again
>Put series on hiatus
:blob_shade:
After reading the third point: Oh! that is what I am missing. I just need to get on the f**king trending list just to get to the f**king trending list. How could I not know that? Thank you for your noble word, catgirl senpai.
When your MC turns into a sex-crazed futanari….
It looks like you have seen something you shouldn't have. :sneaky:

Kitsura

Write write write,

also it should probably be decent writing too.

don’t burn out :)

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
The key to get into trending is by not hoping to get into it. The more you desire something, the less likely for you to have it and vice versa. I learned this from playing gacha games.
Oh god, why do I have so many Dilucs... I just wanted Ganyu. :blob_teary:

Kitsura

Oh god, why do I have so many Dilucs... I just wanted Ganyu. :blob_teary:
My genshin account got hacked right before hu tao banner, and my password was changed.

It took support three weeks to get it back for me and wouldn't even lock the account, the hacker spent 150$ worth of Primo I had saved up

Mihoyo did 0 compensation(wouldn't even revert the account), and basically told me "sucks to be you"

Seeing anything Genshin makes me irrationally angry now. I had a diluc alt but just playing the game pisses me off now so I quit. It's a shame because I had every 5* up until then except for, Diluc on that account.

Last edited: