How to insult like a British?

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
I watched Blackadder and a few British comedy films a while, and I became interested in their way of insulting. Would be a great way for me to grow as an author so I would like to learn.

D

Deleted member 113259

You probably have your own form of banter with your friend group, busting each other's balls and whatnot. That's pretty much all you need to know. If the problem is about slang, you'd simply have to familiarize yourself with the language, perhaps you can move to a British country.

As far as how Blackadder insults, there's some class to it. You don't come out with the insult right away. You start with a compliment and use wit and sarcasm to twist it into an insult, or don't compliment anyone but build up to the insult for impact.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sola-sama

Human Supremacist • African Warlord
You Say Pip-Pip, Tally-Ho, and All That Sort Of Rot then avoid your dentist like the plague until your teeth are so crooked you could eat an apple through a fence.

Wait... We are INSULTING the limey bastards, right?
Good sir, I believe the title is 'insult *like* the british', not 'insult *the* british'. Not that I mind tho

Kraken1

Look at Shakespeare's unsults they are all quite good. Now a days it's about slang. If you want more stereotypical British insults you need to learn to speak like they did in the 30s which is an art form at this point.

Modern British insults really is just using lots of slang words.
You Say Pip-Pip, Tally-Ho, and All That Sort Of Rot then avoid your dentist like the plague until your teeth are so crooked you could eat an apple through a fence.

Wait... We are INSULTING the limey bastards, right?
Hey! We go to the dentist it's just they are they are not very good here.
Good sir, I believe the title is 'insult *like* the british', not 'insult *the* british'. Not that I mind tho
Hmph!

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

A very british way of insulting seems to be the backstab insult where at first the insult doesn't even register. Also banter. The bri'ish love their banter almost as much as queueing or those biological weapons they call food.

Or you could just write murrican insults and replace every other instance of "fuck" with "fine" and some non-fuck insults with "Gentleman".

Major2501

My personal favourite, "Your dad sells Avon.'

Northern English insults are my forte seeing as I'm Northern English myself. Calling someone a "fucking melt" or a "fucking weapon" are standard insults here along with slagging off a persons family members in a creative way. If all else fails and you can't come up with anything creative on the fly, just call someone a nonce that usually gets a laugh or a punch in the ear'ole.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I grew up in Monty Python and Blackadder. I already know how to insult in British you second cheering infidel, if you didn't need more proof