How to make a decent intro that somehow don't fail you.

Rinne1412

I reread some of my earlier book chapter and realized that they are kinda shit. Not something to be proud of anyways but how do you make a decent character introduction as well including subtle world building. The genre is on post apocalytic world

Agentt

Thighs
I reread some of my earlier book chapter and realized that they are kinda shit. Not something to be proud of anyways but how do you make a decent character introduction as well including subtle world building. The genre is on post apocalytic world
That is a sign you are improving! Don't dwell on past and just keep on writing.

Though if you want more specific points, post the paragraphs which you think have a problem

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
what most people do is go back and try to read again the first chapter/prologue one of their favorite novel of all time, and make a case point in why are those interesting & captivating.

most people need a decent input first before could utilize a proper output.

LilRora

Mostly formless
The simplest answer as to character introduction is presenting the character in some sorta situation that shows who they are, like key points from a day in work, a chat with a friend, an escape from somewhere. This sort of stuff.

One thing I find both important and helpful (but often fail to do in practice) is to describe only what's important for the character and situation. For example, don't go describing the main character's appearance, personality, neighborhood, world or anything just out of the blue, but go slightly off tangent to make some key points when you have a reason to. It really ruins the mood when you describe character's appearance in the middle of a fight or escape or something. You should focus on actions and emotions here, and you will have the introduction of the personality. Wait till it ends and the character is treating wounds, and put some info about the appearance alongside their actions.

As for subtle worldbuilding, I'd just put some key information in dialogues or character's thoughts.

DeviousColony69

The simplest answer as to character introduction is presenting the character in some sorta situation that shows who they are, like key points from a day in work, a chat with a friend, an escape from somewhere. This sort of stuff.

One thing I find both important and helpful (but often fail to do in practice) is to describe only what's important for the character and situation. For example, don't go describing the main character's appearance, personality, neighborhood, world or anything just out of the blue, but go slightly off tangent to make some key points when you have a reason to. It really ruins the mood when you describe character's appearance in the middle of a fight or escape or something. You should focus on actions and emotions here, and you will have the introduction of the personality. Wait till it ends and the character is treating wounds, and put some info about the appearance alongside their actions.

As for subtle worldbuilding, I'd just put some key information in dialogues or character's thoughts.
Basically, you make the readers go, "wtf just happened here?" or "I don't need sleep, I need answers" lol

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution

Set up what's ordinary in your world, and then have something out of the ordinary happen on the VERY first page. Works like a charm.

ChrisLensman

From my habits as a reader the books that hook me the easiest are the ones that start by teasing the crazy that's about to come.
One of my favorite authors, Benedict Jacka, used to copy/paste part of the first action scene of the novel to before the first chapter, just to give the reader a taste of what was in store.
Another thing I think is important is the very first sentence. That one tends to be way more important than what comes after. If a story hooks you with its title and/or first sentence it's probably going to keep you hooked.
A good example from this site would be AceArriance's Lazy Dragon Queen:
I had no idea what to expect when they demanded the town’s greatest virgin. I really didn’t know how to feel about the fact that, apparently, I was the town’s greatest virgin.
And bam, you're hooked.

From my habits as a writer I absolutely agree with LilRora:
The simplest answer as to character introduction is presenting the character in some sorta situation that shows who they are
Demonstrate the way the character acts, ideally in such a way that shows how the story is going to go.

Combine the two and you've got a great start to the story. For your example in particular, a post-apocalyptic story, show us the protagonist do something that fits them, something sneaky or heroic or whatever, and trickle in the details of just how screwed the world is as you go.