How to read without using your mouth and without thinking?

D

Deleted member 45782

You mean silently read without thinking too much about it?
I mean, I read a lot silently and depending how much interest I have, sometimes I just read without thinking too much about it. I know this because I don't remember much of what I really read.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Call of Duty... hmm... how does that somehow train to shut down my brain? Is it like when you get shot in-game and you just feel like wanting to shut down the game, sleep, and get revenge on those players that killed you?
"Shut off your brain" as in, hyper focused on the task at hand. In COD, your objectives are mostly reflex-based. Map-knowledge and strats are all valid but they need substantial skills to back up, which is your aiming, tracking and flicking.

What I mean by this is that COD is a game reliant on moment-to-moment gameplay, propped up with lightning fast decisions and short-term predictions of enemy placement and movements.

Idk about you but for me, games like COD or those similar to it got me used to focusing on the task at hand and make a conscious sit-down analysis on my performance later. Where I do so in gameplay, I apply it so on my reading, in which turn my brain to a mode where I focus on the words itself and properly digesting it when I put it down. I simply invest 100% of my energy into the book and then speedread that shit.

It burns you out fast (for me, at least) but that's how it worked for me. I only question after the reading. For now, the task is to recieve new information and ONLY that. Everything else comes later. I never attempt to multi-task as I listen/read. I make my analysis after, so as to not ruin the experience.

Napelynn

Well here are my techniques...

Instead of focusing in the same object, try spreading out your awareness. Kinda like when you're doing something you don't want other people to see, you watch out your surroundings while focusing on the work you're doing. The problem here is if you have problem splitting or multi-tasking your brain and if your surroundings are busy.

Then there is also the option to blast music to their ears. Pick a less distracting music you like and cover your ears with it while reading. Your thinking will be diluted as you jam to the music while reading.

You can also read when you're sleepy. Guaranteed to work as long as you battle the drowsiness.

There is also the poor man's solution, just let your brain "not focus". Other's can't do it if they're not familiar with controlling their brains but poor me can't buy stuff that I had to compensate by learning skills.(Damn, faulty earphones always breaking...)
Other than spreading out your focus, you could also try really focusing on one thing so that you can’t focus on anything else.

So basically, just try really hard to visual the scene that your reading so that you have less brain power to think about what’s going to happen next.

Localforeigner

I don't want to read and think of the same thing because it's the same as spoiling or foreshadowing the future. For example, the MC lost, then I'd think immediately, 'Bet he'd stand up again because of the power of FRIENDSHIP!' And yeah, here you go, I'd like a way to not read and think of the same time and I can't get it out. I need a good solution.

Nothing is completely useless if it's being used by someone out in the whole globe.

So you mean you recognize foreshadowing and story tropes and these lead you to being aware of how narrative flow works and you no longer want to be aware of those things?

I don't understand the 'using your mouth' part, do you mean you read out loud?

As for the first thing, no, once you have awareness of narrative structure and tools, it's not possible to not be aware of those things, at least not without a brilliantly written piece of fiction that can pull consistent twists without cheating.

mlaser

So you mean you recognize foreshadowing and story tropes and these lead you to being aware of how narrative flow works and you no longer want to be aware of those things?

I don't understand the 'using your mouth' part, do you mean you read out loud?

As for the first thing, no, once you have awareness of narrative structure and tools, it's not possible to not be aware of those things, at least not without a brilliantly written piece of fiction that can pull consistent twists without cheating.
Yes. The writing must be enjoyable. The book the i most found this is The name of the wind. Even if the trilogy is not completed is my favorite book, because is by far the most enjoyable book that i read.