Writing How to use sexuality in your writing

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
How can you use sexuality to portray a story? Um... I guess I need a bit of an exposition on the subject. It's a bit long. Bear with me.
So, I have been obsessed with watching videos by this YouTube Matt Baume, and he makes videos about gay representation in the popular media.
What fascinated me the most was (which isn't particularly stressed throughout his videos but something I just somehow noticed) how sexual symbolism can be used to portray characters.
I used to think that sexual symbolism only extended as far as innuendos for cheat laughs, because lol segs, and to evoke immediate understanding that this, in fact, alludes to things sexual.
I never before had even realised that sexuality is so deeply rooted in our culture and lives and that it can be used with such finesse.
Perhaps, I'm being overly vague, so I'll make an example. I am not very articulate though, so it may not sound convincing and I don't really understand it, otherwise I wouldn't be typing this thread. Here is an example:
Characters talking while naked, or exposed. A character is talking while changing, for example. Being naked is associated with being open, vulnerable. In this particular example it subtly shows that the character isn't afraid to state their opinion, what you see about this character is what you get.
The aforementioned Matt Baum also made a video about Disney Villains and a lot of description of Maleficent fits the bill.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
This might be a little unrelated but: Subtlety is important when it comes to that type of stuff, you CAN build a character around a particular trait like that. but don't bring it up and rub it in the reader's face, let em find out themselves. Otherwise it might just be downright creepy and end up ruining the message. *cough* High Gaurdian Spice *cough*. Anyways, good luck on your endeavors, may want to do some research on Greek Mythology,

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
It's a delicate subject; it's something you'll either just naturally understand or need to take notes/classes to even begin to comprehend its presence. It's a tacit understanding, basically.

One of the main objectives you should have for a character in a story is to, well, show their character. You do this by giving them roles and scenarios where their personality BEST shine. You want to use sexuality in a part of your writing? Well shit, you have you provide your characters the best stage to perform their song and dance.

Character who's sexually liberal? Like you said, have them chat while naked out in the open or casually go on a one-night fling with someone. Character who keeps to themselves regarding their sex life? Thick clothes, a heavy reaction towards the subject matter, and preferring to purchase underwear by their private selves. Character who's gay? Have them dress up as the Village People and make a flash mob dance to YMCA I'm just kidding have them comment about the same sex or at least show some interest towards them.

To be honest, this doesn't just apply to sexualities either. It's characters as a whole. It's the writer's job to display the most important faucets of a character by giving them situations where they'll best shine. It's something you have to balance. If you just focus on a single aspect, it tells the reader that the character is just that. This is how you make that one-note gag character everyone forgets.

Don't make it obvious either. Don't have the gay character be introduced in a police jumpsuit zipped down with their chest hair exposed. Subtlety is depth. A character shines, but innuendos shields the light and makes their specialities shine brighter. Allude, leave clues, then reinforce. Don't tell your readers who your characters are. Show them the Lego pieces and have them build it themselves. If your readers start having multiple interpretations to who your character is, that's when you know you're stepping into the right direction (or that you've fucked up somewhere, need to go back 4 steps, and re-evaluate your life choices).

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
the example you mentioned has nothing to do with sexuality. it's psychology and human behavior.
yeah, sexuality in novels is usually more represented in how a character dresses or talks. You have to use body language, too, tho. Like if i notice a man looking at my crotch a few times, i may be able to assume they're interested in me sexually. Or at least, are homosexuals. A person's micro expressions can tell you a lot more than just their outer appearances. They can be used in tandem to make accurate judgments, but looking only at one wont really give you enough to say that, "oh this person is homosexual"

yeah, sexuality in novels is usually more represented in how a character dresses or talks. You have to use body language, too, tho. Like if i notice a man looking at my crotch a few times, i may be able to assume they're interested in me sexually. Or at least, are homosexuals. A person's micro expressions can tell you a lot more than just their outer appearances. They can be used in tandem to make accurate judgments, but looking only at one wont really give you enough to say that, "oh this person is homosexual"
well I don't disagree with this. body language is a form of communication, probably the most honest of all. but a character speaking while changing/naked has nothing nothing to do with sexuality - it's confidence/trust.

Andrew_Udell

“Everything in the world is about sex, except sex. Sex is about power.”

You can certainly use sex play at different power dynamics. A powerful man who runs a company but wants to be submissive in bed might show that power is exhausting and is willing to let it go if the conditions are right. A woman who endures sexual violence from a partner might show that's she's truly out of control of her living situation and needs help.

Whatever you do, however, be delicate. Sex is a sensitive topic, especially if you allow actual characterization to develop from it. Be tasteful and only show what's absolutely necessary. Any more, then it just become explicit for shock value.

kiplet

Someone once likened writing sex to writing meals: sure, they said, tell me what it's like, give me an idea, but you don't need to get into the details of every chew and swallow.

scribesaga

whatever you do, don't mislead the readers. be sure to include the tags in the description of your story. My advice is read, or watch shows, that do a good job to portray the sexual preference of whichever character you're trying to highlight. Watch arcanum on Netflix, where Caitlin's interaction with Vi does a great job to hint at caitlin's sexuality without it being forced.

Also, don't worry about all the layers of cultural inclusion. Are you trying to appease different groups, or tell a story? If you're trying to tell a story, then tell you're story. Write a story that you would like to read, don't write a story designed to appease the culture itself.

If you want to write a story featuring Bi characters, do it! If you want to write a story, but then want people to like it, and thus try to design Bi characters strictly to garner attention, don't do it!