How to write a Fight Scene?

LilTV1155

Any idea on how to write a fight scene where two characters are . . . . . sort-of engaged in combat while throwing insults and commentaries at each other.

I have an idea that it would like Pokemon Move attack, Turn-based RPG. But does not know how to incorporate that idea with the fighting characters who are arguing and fighting at the same time.

Any ideas and any helps, please?

Scene 1.
-----------
Chara A vs. Chara B​

Round 1 --- Fight!

Chara A attacks
Chara B dodges​
Attack Missed. Chara A is Enraged. Chara B is Puzzled.​
Time up!
-
Round 1 over!
Chara A | 1 -0 | Chara B​
--------
Round 2 --- Fight!

Chara A attacks
Chara B dodges​
Attack Missed. Chara A is Enraged +2, Battlefield Damage 35%​
Time up!
-
Round 2 over!
Chara A | 1 -1 | Chara B​
--------
5 Minute Break --- Chara C replace Chara B
-
Chara A vs. Chara C
-
Round 3 --- Fight!

Chara C attacks
Chara A defend​
Critical Hit, Super effective Move. Chara A is Flustered​
Time up!
-
Round 3 over!
Chara A | 1 - 5 | Chara C +B​
--
Chara C & B wins, Chara A lose
------------------
The entire scene is like that.

Last edited:

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Hmm, I would focus on what your characters feel more than what they see since visuals and reading don't mix.
Like, allow their emotions to tell how the fight goes.

Uh, I don't write in the third view, or turn-based battle, but I play a lot of RPG, so I know how bosses laugh at your face while in battle.
Some party batters last for the entire event too.

Something like... Maybe...

"Fuck you! You fucking piece of shit, maggot!" He snarled at his opponent, swinging his sword at him.

The frustration of losing a comrade urged him forward. However, the breeze of the movement was all that hit his foe, though. Anger surged as he noticed he missed. A turn wasted!

The villain laughed at our hero.

"Hah, you are calling me a maggot? You can't even swing that sword, right!" The man mocked the other.

He swung the weapon, a hit. Our hero felt the blow as it knocked the wind out of him.

'I'll get him this time!' He thought, enduring the pain his foe had inflicted.

This time, he felt the aura of his ancestors grow within him. And with that, he swung his sword in confidence.

I don't know if I even accomplished what I set out to try to do. But I hope I helped. :sweating_profusely:

Last edited:

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Hmm, I would focus on what your characters feel more than what they see since visuals and reading don't mix.
Like, allow their emotions to tell how the fight goes.

Uh, I don't write in the third view, or turn-based battle, but I play a lot of RPG, so I know how bosses laugh at your face while in battle.
Some party batters last for the entire event too.

Something like... Maybe...

"Fuck you! You fucking piece of shit, maggot!" He snarled at his opponent, swinging his sword at him.

The frustration of losing a comrade urged him forward. However, the breeze of the movement was all that hit his foe, though. Anger surged as he missed noticed he missed. A turn wasted!

The villain laughed at our hero.

"Hah, you are calling me a maggot? You can't even swing that sword, right!" The man mocked the other.

He swung the weapon, a hit. Our hero felt the blow as it knocked the wind out of him.

'I'll get him this time!' He thought, enduring the pain his foe had inflicted.

This time, he felt the aura of his ancestors grow within him. And with that, he swung his sword in confidence.

I don't know if I even accomplished what I set out to try to do. But I hope I helped. :sweating_profusely:
How intense miss kitty!
Any idea on how to write a fight scene where two characters are . . . . . sort-of engaged in combat while throwing insults and commentaries at each other.

I have an idea that it would like Pokemon Move attack, Turn-based RPG. But does not know how to incorporate that idea with the fighting characters who are arguing and fighting at the same time.

Scene 1.
-----------
Chara A vs. Chara B​

Round 1 --- Fight!

Chara A attacks
Chara B dodges​
Time up!
-
Round 1 over!
--------
Round 2 --- Fight!

Chara A attacks
Chara B dodges​
Time up!
-
Round 2 over!
--------
-
Chara A vs. Chara C
-
Round 3 --- Fight!

Chara C attacks
Chara A defend​
Time up!
-
Round 3 over!
--
------------------
If it’s a game esque store, sure but speaking as an experienced reader who’s read all kinds of fight, these aren’t quite intriguing.

Honestly best advice: find one of your favorite fight scenes in any book and read it and write it down and study what makes it so amazing. That’s what I’m planning on doing once I’m done with my novel :blob_upset: :blob_hmph:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Scene 1.
-----------
Chara A vs. Chara B​

Round 1 --- Fight!

Chara A attacks
Chara B dodges​
Time up!
-
Round 1 over!
--------
Round 2 --- Fight!

Chara A attacks
Chara B dodges​
Time up!
-
Round 2 over!
--------
-
Chara A vs. Chara C
-
Round 3 --- Fight!

Chara C attacks
Chara A defend​
Time up!
-
Round 3 over!
--
------------------
Realistically fight scenes wont have commentary. If anything, only inner thoughts.

Describe their actions. Like, "Alec pivoted to the side, the blade whistling past his ear. Reacting quick, he caught the attacker's wrist. In the next instant his palm connected with the enemy's elbow and snapped his arm in two."

That's a more grounded fight. Xianxia style battles are a lot more grandiose.

DubstheDuke

When I write fight scenes I sorta focus much more on the psychological than the physical. If I write stuff that is physical I write it to show the psychological impact.

"You can't do anything."

Dirt filled his vision, cutting off his ability to even so much as breathe in as he was suffocated by the foot on his throat.

"Therefore if I were you... I would stay down."

Yet even so, he grasped.

He grasped, aimlessly flaunting his hand around until he felt it.

The leg of his opponent.

"I... won't let you... do this..."

"I don't care if you let me."

Cut off with these mocking words, the man let out a sinister laugh as he shook off his hand, landing another kick to his face in the process.

"Because I already have."

Nhatduongg

Yuyuko Saigyouji, The Dreaming Ghost
Oh god, all of you guys, I don’t even know how to write fight scenes (mine kind of like randomly throw skills at each other, which is meh). Oh well might as well take all of your example.

Last edited:
Be specific, but don't wallow in detail. Avoid inner monologueing unless you're William Faulkner. Write in the active voice, Do Not use -ing for anything. Feel free to use onomopea. Then, just write the scene like it happens.

========
Josh stood, his stool clattered to the ground behind him.

"Bring it, bitch!" He waggled his right hand at me to come hither.

So, I obliged. I grabbed his proffered arm threw punch at his face. He caught my fist, so I wiped the smug grin of his face with a kick to his balls. When he doubled over, I grabbed his head and kneed him in the face.

"Ask and you shall receive, dipshit."

"Goddamnit," Josh gasped.

He gathered an arm and a leg under himself and started to push himself up. I kicked him again in the gut.

"Did I say you could get up?"

I kicked him agian.

"Did I tell you this fight was over?"

Another kick, this time, I caught him in the face.

"You. Mother. Fucking. Shitstain."

I puctuated each word with a kick, not even caring where they landed.
========

Or something like that.
Best of luck,
-- Trinity's Gadget

longer

Balls
Writing a fight scene is extremely dependent on the direction of your story. If your story has a power system, fights will almost always center around such a system. If you're story is more realistic then keep fights grounded in reality. If you want to maintain the fantastical atmosphere then create battles that are as mind blowing as the world. Theme and symbolism can also be woven into conflicts but don't let it distract from the scene, particularly if you're writing a realistic fight.

Additionally, consider the reason why people are fighting and the nature of the participants. Competitive fighting, such as sports, are often devoid of insults and both parties tend to be as focused on victory as possible. So imagine two people just trying their hardest to efficiently murder the other. If the fighting must be a spectacle, like gladiatorial bouts, there maybe elements of showmanship such as dancing around the enemy or kicking an opponent's weapon out of their hand.

In regards to the fighters, personality has a strong effect on the fights. Cocky fighters or those that look down on their opponents are the most likely to speak and shit talk. More cunning opponents may use words to distract or probe enemies into action, whereas honorable fighters will preface the fight with a short talk then do battle. So far the only time I've heard people have verbal bouts in real life fights was during a money match for show and another fight due to personal reasons. The latter fight started because someone insulted another person's recently deceased father which led to the second person challenging the first to scrap. During said fight, the second person continuously shouted insults at the first person because he was till furious about the disparaging comments directed towards his deceased father. He continued yelling at the other person even while he was being dragged away to prevent the other guy from getting hospitalized.

A general rule for writing such a scene is to be fairly detailed but not a full play by play. Your real friend is the reader's imagination which will be able to create a beautiful scene with enough data. Additionally, inner dialogue is not something that I recommend. It would only make sense if you are writing a skilled and experienced fighter who isn't in a fast paced, life or death battle. In my personal experience, my thoughts during fights have amounted to 'shit, run' or 'wait for opportunity to punch face' at best.

In addition, fights can be either strategic or sorely lacking in said department. Strategic fights involve rigorous planning and implementing the story's power system to its fullest. A very good example of quality strategic battles is HxH, which I highly recommend.

Since I'm procrastinating at this moment, I'll provide a personal experience that has been repurposed for literary use.

Boiling with anger, the guy in front of me swung his fist towards my torso.

"You little bitch," he yelled while his arm hurtled through the air.

Desperately, I raised my arms to block the blow, the force of his punch reverberating through my arm.

"Dude, we can talk this out," I begged while struggling to avoid his strikes.

My plea fell on deaf ears as my opponent continued to press the attack against me.

Cornered against a wall, I had no choice but to try and force an escape through my opponent. Mustering my waning strength, I slammed my fist into his cheek, our bones colliding against one another.

As he staggered for just a moment, I swiftly jerked my body and tried to bolt away from him. However, an arm wrapped itself around my side before I could get away.

I turned back to face the angry big guy and tried to loosen his grip with a flurry of punches and kicks while simultaneously wriggling my body out of his grasp.

But this all proved futile as my opponent pulled me ever closer.

Now grappling with a much larger opponent, I realized that I was well and truly fucked.

Me at that moment:
Screen_Shot_2018-03-30_at_11.34.27_AM.jpg

LilTV1155

Writing a fight scene is extremely dependent on the direction of your story. If your story has a power system, fights will almost always center around such a system. If you're story is more realistic then keep fights grounded in reality. If you want to maintain the fantastical atmosphere then create battles that are as mind blowing as the world. Theme and symbolism can also be woven into conflicts but don't let it distract from the scene, particularly if you're writing a realistic fight.

Additionally, consider the reason why people are fighting and the nature of the participants. Competitive fighting, such as sports, are often devoid of insults and both parties tend to be as focused on victory as possible. So imagine two people just trying their hardest to efficiently murder the other. If the fighting must be a spectacle, like gladiatorial bouts, there maybe elements of showmanship such as dancing around the enemy or kicking an opponent's weapon out of their hand.

In regards to the fighters, personality has a strong effect on the fights. Cocky fighters or those that look down on their opponents are the most likely to speak and shit talk. More cunning opponents may use words to distract or probe enemies into action, whereas honorable fighters will preface the fight with a short talk then do battle. So far the only time I've heard people have verbal bouts in real life fights was during a money match for show and another fight due to personal reasons. The latter fight started because someone insulted another person's recently deceased father which led to the second person challenging the first to scrap. During said fight, the second person continuously shouted insults at the first person because he was till furious about the disparaging comments directed towards his deceased father. He continued yelling at the other person even while he was being dragged away to prevent the other guy from getting hospitalized.

A general rule for writing such a scene is to be fairly detailed but not a full play by play. Your real friend is the reader's imagination which will be able to create a beautiful scene with enough data. Additionally, inner dialogue is not something that I recommend. It would only make sense if you are writing a skilled and experienced fighter who isn't in a fast paced, life or death battle. In my personal experience, my thoughts during fights have amounted to 'shit, run' or 'wait for opportunity to punch face' at best.

In addition, fights can be either strategic or sorely lacking in said department. Strategic fights involve rigorous planning and implementing the story's power system to its fullest. A very good example of quality strategic battles is HxH, which I highly recommend.

Since I'm procrastinating at this moment, I'll provide a personal experience that has been repurposed for literary use.

Boiling with anger, the guy in front of me swung his fist towards my torso.

"You little bitch," he yelled while his arm hurtled through the air.

Desperately, I raised my arms to block the blow, the force of his punch reverberating through my arm.

"Dude, we can talk this out," I begged while struggling to avoid his strikes.

My plea fell on deaf ears as my opponent continued to press the attack against me.

Cornered against a wall, I had no choice but to try and force an escape through my opponent. Mustering my waning strength, I slammed my fist into his cheek, our bones colliding against one another.

As he staggered for just a moment, I swiftly jerked my body and tried to bolt away from him. However, an arm wrapped itself around my side before I could get away.

I turned back to face the angry big guy and tried to loosen his grip with a flurry of punches and kicks while simultaneously wriggling my body out of his grasp.

But this all proved futile as my opponent pulled me ever closer.

Now grappling with a much larger opponent, I realized that I was well and truly fucked.

Me at that moment: View attachment 9082
Then what if you make each character shout out every power move during the entire fight?
Though the fighting scene involving the two characters were more for comedy effects.
How intense miss kitty!

If it’s a game esque store, sure but speaking as an experienced reader who’s read all kinds of fight, these aren’t quite intriguing.

Honestly best advice: find one of your favorite fight scenes in any book and read it and write it down and study what makes it so amazing. That’s what I’m planning on doing once I’m done with my novel :blob_upset: :blob_hmph:
According to said advice, my idea of fight scene is ...... Pokemon Battles in the first player's perspective.

Last edited:

Armored99

Harem-phobic
just put some kapows, a few bangs, and maybe a bop here or there. You know what I mean?

longer

Balls
Then what if you make each character shout out every power move during the entire fight?
Though the fighting scene involving the two characters were more for comedy effects.
Having characters shout about their powers is fine if: the power system deems it necessary such as powers being activated by saying it, or if it's for spectacle. You could also reason that the combatants are eccentric weirdos that like to shout their powers, but that's a bit wonky. However, it is important to remember that shouting out your attack is extremely impractical in actual fights.

As for conducting the scene, weave the dialogue with the physical actions. For instance:

The two prematurely balding and obese men faced each other with courage brimming in their eyes.

"Battle-stations activate!" they cried out simultaneously.

Fans began whirling violently and neon colored lights lit up the room.

"Prepare the hard drive!" the first guy shouted, a dramatic clicking sound following soon after.

"Your hard drive is no match for my ssd," the second person cackled. "Your 500 gigafarts are nothing in comparison to my 2 terashits."

Slamming his arms against his keyboard, the second person initiated his ssd, crackles of electricity ushering in its presence.

"Fool, you've activated my trap card," the first guy wheezed unironically. "I was keeping my custom built ssd in reserve. And its 3 petapoops will drown you in despair.

With an ominous glint in his eyes, the first person firmly pressed his digit down on a hidden switch. Suddenly, a ring of neon lights encircled the room, heralding the coming of the dreaded 3 petapoops.

"No!" the second person screamed, now bawling his eyes out. "How can I defend the honor of my body pillow loli waifu now?!?"

As if god was passing judgement, a wayward bolt of lightning crashed through the window and disintegrated the second man, saving him from any further disgrace.

Unfortunately computers do not work quite like this but you get the idea. As for me, I have no idea what I just wrote.