How to write a scene with characters that don’t understand each other’s language

Acezhere

how do I write a scene where my characters don’t speak each other’s language? one is Russian and the other two are Korean. They are in a hospital. Korean(1) Appears in scene 1 and Korean (2) in scene 2. The Russian kid has to talk to both of them. How would they converse?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
how do I write a scene where my characters don’t speak each other’s language? one is Russian and the other two are Korean. They are in a hospital. Korean(1) Appears in scene 1 and Korean (2) in scene 2. The Russian kid has to talk to both of them. How would they converse?
Ever play charades?

Schultz_von

use a lot of gestures and maybe some broken English or any language that the two characters at least understand. Or just think of it like you talking with a baby, a lot of repetition, a lot of gestures, and using a simple word.

Kassel

I could see them using google translate.

D

Deleted member 54065

I haven't done a conversation between real world languages (like Korean - Russian) but I did a scene where my FMC is talking in her world's language (Chersean) and my MMC is talking in Filipino.

Here's that part, hope you find some ideas on how to execute your scene.

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
Hmm~ such language barrier will appear to happen unless one korean atleast how to atleast able to converse in Russian since you said the kid can't speak other languages.

Yet, can the Korean characters you portrayed able to atleast able to read russian word since there are certain people who can read the language yet can't speak it or reversal.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
From one person's perspective and describe as it unfolds. for example:

Ed crawled out of the escape pod. The exploding passenger liner was now in burning fragments across the sky, but Ed was lucky enough to be near one of the escape hatches and was now safely on the planet's surface. Well, as safe as one could be in a methane based atmosphere. Fortunately the enviro suit was functioning.

As he crawled out of the smoking crater, a large blob of goo crawled over the rim and an eyeball looked down at him. It was joined by several others, ~Damn~ He thought, ~Locals.~

Ed walked up to the edge and looked down at the foot size blue splotch and spoke. The creature didn't respond. Ed hit the side of his helmet. A pop-up window appeared asking if he wanted to upgrade the suit and include the translation package. He mentally clicked yes, but another pop-up appeared in in his minds eye saying the servers were down. He cursed to himself and returned his attention to the creature before him.

The blob backed up and turned to another and started to flail about in a series of gestures while making strange sounds, not unlike what happened the last time Ed had to battle a malfunctioning toilet with a plunger that had a hole in the side. Ed scratched the side of his helmet in a pointless gesture, then applied the same logic as every American in a foreign land speaking with people who don't understand english.

HE SPOKE LOUDER AND SLOWER.

WinterTimeCrime

Aggressive-Loving Snowflake
Kensa smiles at Koko then Loliel. “Are these two with you? Oh yes, the professor did say you had acquaintances. The others who took care of the strays, he didn’t say what to do with them though… Or maybe he did… I’m not very good with paying attention to instructions.”

“Who’s this professor you speak of? And he gave you instructions, about what?” Miya queries.

“Lots of questions… Lots and lots… If you come down with me then you can find out.” Kensa responds while leaning in front of Miya’s face with a smile.

“Enough. What is she saying Miya?” Loliel demands with a scowl.

Miya turns toward her. “What’re you talking about?”

“You two are talking… In a weird language…”

Miya turns to Kensa, who shrugs while doing a twirl on one foot.

“What’re they talking about, weird language?”

Kensa stops mid handstand and looks up at Miya while upside down. “Prochatti’ vrenum no moit?

Aii’yet—“ Miya eyes widen as she holds both her cheeks and her mouth.

She then look at Loliel and Koko with a confused expression.

Kensa leans herself up onto her feet and waves in front of Miya’s face. “Hellooo? Did you hear me? Are we going or not? The professor’s waiting~”

That's an example of when I used it once in my book. This was a bit tough for me too, but it came easy when I realized that the dialogue in books is quite literal, and there's no need to overthink things when you can just make it blatantly obvious.

One of my characters got irritated she couldn't understand Miya, and at the same moment, made Miya realize that she was speaking another language, becoming conscious of her own voice. This gave the reader the chance to examine this firsthand, without having to switch POVs or anything fancy.

There are tons of other ways to do this, but it's very situational. You should experiment and attempt to find the best way that fits your writing style.
Oh- I didn't comprehend the entire question.

In this instance, I read a similar situation in James Clavell, Shogun, when a naval pirate woke up in feudal Japan unable to speak Japanese. Mostly, the conversations took one world of familiarly and used it to carry on the dialogue.

When the pirate was hungry he rubbed his belly, when he wanted to leave he pointed to the door, etc. There was even a scene where he confused one of the girls' names as Onna, when Onna in Japanese meant woman, so you can also play on words to make the dialogue and confusion between the characters more believable.

To clarify, the best way to about this is perhaps for the German character to pick up different things, or point at them and call out a name. The first Korean character will possibly have a better understanding of what the German fellow wants when the second character comes in, then he'll be able to elaborate, or maybe they could brainstorm together.

Tons of ways to go by this, I'd say find some resources online about conversations had between people of different languages and take it from there.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

pelpelen

Just think of how you would give directions to a forgeiner.
A lot of shouting and a lot of body language/showing

J_Chemist

Use hands and feet.

Pictures help, too. Hope one of them can draw stick figures.