How to write romance

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
View attachment 10018
For me I love writing fluffy romance with the characters being all in love even though it's well past they're early love stage in the relationship.
I feel it makes for a more realistic healthy relationship to not cause problems for the lover by the lovers, it always felt sorta stupid to me when a relationship with a problem is caused by someone within the relationship. I mean how do you fix something like that, now matter how much effort the author puts into the relationship it can never go back to how it was prior to them Bane back breaking the relationship.

View attachment 10019
I Prefer to use external problems to not really strain the relationship, but give it some depth? Explore they're individuality? Weaknesses within the relationship? Strengthen their bond?
I don't really know I guess it one of these things, but all I know that fluffy romance + plus external problem + no romantic conflict + bad ass wizard battles to gain closeness= my sorta romance story but mostly just smut and adventure.
Exactly! Society is the antagonist in my story.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Exactly! Society is the antagonist in my story.
Always has been.
(Sorry, not sorry)

Aaanyway. Good romance (and comedy) are imo some of the hardest things to write. Can't say much to both, tho, since my personal exp are capped at tragedy and sarcasm:ROFLMAO:

SpiraSpira

Well, here is the thing. When we write romance in fiction -- just throw your own experience with romance in reality out the window, mostly.

People don't want to hear so much about the regular romance of everyday people ("We went to see a movie then snogged for a while"). People want extraordinary romance! It's the same principle about main characters, most people aren't interested in a main character that is so regular that they're indistinguishable from ordinary people.

There are no real novels entitled "My Job At Chilis and How I Don't Like It." They want an extraordinary character that still has parts that they can identify with somehow. This is why it is such a popular trope in contemporary novels to have an MC start out being a nobody and then discover his or her extraordinary side.

That said, how to write believable extraordinary romance? Well, that's where I have less of an answer for you. I've read bodice ripper novels all my life and I am still not great at writing romances so I generally don't put heavy emphasis on it in any story I write.

Read a lot of romance novels/stories.

There is a Chinese saying, "If you read ten thousand books you'll write like a god." So that is my advice.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Always has been.
You could say that, even when one of the partners has something seriously wrong with them, it was a result of their upbringing, which is a function of society: