How to write transitions? Tips for editing my old writing?

Jay

Hey guys, amateur writer here. My concern is that I'm afraid of writing boring stuff. I think my writing can get really boring or my main character has none/bland personality like me. Right now I have free time on my hand and I hope to get back to writing. I wrote a novel 2 years back - currently with only chapter 9. Went back and read it to see how my writings are. These are some problems that I found:

1. Awkward sentence structures are really common. Reading them seems so obvious now. But I'm sure when I was writing them, it doesn't occur to me it was awkward.
2. Some parts , especially action part, are plot-obvious. Like, a common trope where you know where the story is heading to.
3. My character seems like a go-with-the-flow kind. There were one time I read a review on a novel where they criticize about how the character does not have any impact on the plot for being an op main character. It becomes a turn down for the readers.
4. One thing I like was the action scene in my novel. The fighting scene/action scenes are well written. But transitioning from one story scene to another story scene is not good. Some part may be because I don't know how to close a chapter? And some other part may be boring, like I can feel myself getting bored and potentially drop out of the novel..

mm38910

1. It will get better the more you write. One thing you could is to calm down and read aloud what you've written.
2. Either tweak the story little, or add minor details that may improve a story filled with tropes.
3 Not sure what your problem is.
4 Do some interesting thing in the end, like drop a foreshadowing of the next arc, happy scenes related to the aftermath.

First of all, don't be afraid to write. You can write first and improve it later. And give your story time, grammar stuff can be fixed later but plot points can't as you go further. Giving time may bring out interesting ideas that you may not have thought while rushing. If you feel your character is boring, give some quirks that make him/her interesting.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
tips for editing old writing:
1) The most obvious method - read through it, editing anything that stands out to you as you go along.
2) Read it aloud - Haven't really done this myself, but it can help a lot if you have problems with grammar or English is your second language. Anything that sounds weird, or you really have to think about how you should say it, you should probably edit.

Things to pay particular attention to while editing: tenses. It's really, really easy to accidentally slip into the wrong tense while writing.
Perspective. Make sure you don't slip between 1st and 3rd person and narration without making it crystal-clear which is which. Which, I suppose, brings us to the other part of your question.

Transitions. There are lots of different places transitions can be used: character transitions, scene transitions, time transitions, chapter transitions, and so on and so forth.

Since you mentioned having difficulty with ending chapters, I'll start with that. Now, you're probably familiar with cliffs, or cliff-hangers, where you end the chapter on a point of high suspense - a sentence half spoken, at the climax of a battle, you likely know the sort of thing I'm talking about. As with so many things, less is more. The less often you do this, the more impact it'll have when you do. Inversely, the more you do it, the less impact it'll have and the more it'll annoy your readers. On the other hand, if the situation calls for it, like if you're nearing the final battle, it'll only build up the suspense even more, and it's definitely something you should consider doing.

Sometimes you might find that you have to split something into two chapters, but you don't want it to be a cliffhanger for the above or other reasons. In that case, you'll want to end the chapter on a low to mid suspense sort of feel. So rather than ending the chapter as the dark lord raises his dark blade to chop down at the hero who has stumbled, you have the two engage in a clash of blows and/or magic, with neither really coming out with a massive advantage, and end the chapter in the slight pause after they disengage. Of course, this isn't exactly specific to fighting. You want to end on a point that doesn't feel like it's near the end nor the beginning of whatever activity is in question, at a point that feels natural. Like the end of a part of that activity. For combat, a clash, for crafting, a component, for learning a class, and so on.

But most of the time, you'll just want to finish at the end of something, although it may sound pretty obvious. The end of a fight, the end of a conversation, and so on.

But maybe you're less questioning the when, and more questioning the how? Well, first things first, don't start the last sentence of your chapter with 'and so', unless you're using it ironically or sarcastically. Other than that, it's pretty free-form. You could even end a chapter with "Huh." if it was contextually viable. I suppose it goes back to what I said before, end at the end. Not just literally, but metaphorically as well. It has to feel like the end of whatever it is. For instance, if you're finishing on a conversation, and you don't want to finish at the literal end of the conversation but, for instance, after they have finished discussing something critical to the story, you might want to write a short sentence mentioning that they kept chatting for a while, or something similar.

As for other types of transitions, you need to clearly define to the reader that there is a transition. Imagine that your readers are incredibly stupid for a moment, and do what you must to make them notice the change. Obviously, most of them won't be incredibly stupid. But every now and then you get one who is. I once had a guy comment that they were confused about a character transition. My general template for doing character transitions is to have a horizontal line, then have the name of character whose POV i'm switching to right below it, centered and very clear. Not much more I can do after that besides just making the text bigger.

But anyway. Character transitions are, in my opinion, the most important transitions to make sure the reader gets. Time transition? Can be important, but generally very few people will be keeping track of time, and those sort of people will likely be paying more attention anyway. Scene? Also important, but it can be very simply explained, and will likely be referenced every now and again thereon. But character transitions are difficult. Unless the character is constantly like, 'I am joe and joe is my name', people will have to rely on their thoughts and interactions with others to try and determine which character they are following. This can often be made clearer with dividers of some type between different character perspectives and by initially stating the name of the character. Another way I've seen this done apart from the way I mentioned in the previous paragraph is by separating different perspectives into different chapters. Not to say that every chapter was a different perspective, but that if a perspective changed, it would be at the start of a chapter, and the name, again, would be immediately evident.

You're concerned about your character being a go-with-the-flow kinda guy? Not much of a problem. I mean, quite a few people are. What you can do is use it for some character development. Force the character into a leadership role, or make him face personal dilemmas that nobody can help him with. Then you have the unspoken question of whether your character will step up to the role, and grow as a result, or crumble under the pressure.

Worried about your plot being too obvious? Yeah, I think quite a lot of us are. Personally, I constantly worry that I'm giving way too many clues and foreshadowing as to the end events of the novel. I think I've said this somewhere else, but I think a general guideline to follow is that the vagueness of the foreshadow should be proportional to how far away in the story it will be relevant. Something happening in the far future should barely be hinted at (or not at all), while something happening that chapter should be almost (if not actually) stated.

S-Scherr

As far as your main character, or any characters, are concerned, put them in challenging situations that cause them to grow throughout your tale. Your mc can start off as a bland, 'go with the flow' type, as long as he or she evolves as the story goes along.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
1. How your first draft turns out doesn't really matter so much, as long as you edit it properly. To catch awkward sentences, you can try changing the font and reading it aloud slowly. Helps with spelling errors too. (Changing the font makes it look new to you, so you're less likely to correct errors in your mind while reading it and therefore skip over them.)

2. If those plot points are obvious, why don't you brainstorm some better ways of approaching the situation - something more subtle and less done - or do something completely different with where it leads?

3. If your MC has no personality, put him through some character development tasks and give him some. Even a passive person has a personality, personal values, and their own motivations.
I would also suggest either giving up his passive nature and rewriting so that he has more agency and makes conscious choices, or that you accept that making "no choice" is in fact a choice. There are consequences to always being passive. He'll annoy others, end up in situations that he didn't want to be in and, if he complains about the situations he's in, he's honestly a whinging person who has no right to talk. If you acknowledge his faults in your narrative, it will likely be more interesting.

I have a thread listing some tips and tricks for finding your way out of a boring/flat story or character here: https://forum.scribblehub.com/threa...e-to-write-yourself-out-of-a-predicament.987/
They might be of some use to you.

(Can't help with 4, honestly. Maybe just edit until it feels right?)

Farok

1. I read all of my sentences, multiples times, a thing I like to do is to read my paragraph and earing all of the words being like a river, without rock, I don't know if it's clear but it's what I do and it makes pleasant to hear phrases, and of course vocabulary, I'm French so I have quite the choice.

2. I don't if you are talking about the scenario of a scene or just the direction of the entire plot, I play roleplaying game with friends and when I write a scenario I ask myself : "If I was a player/reader would this be interesting ?", my advice would be, add decorum, think about the plot, it is plain ? Or too straight forward ?

3. For the main character, you need a trait, something that demarks him from the others, you don't need to make him a complex personality with tons of details, just do "that", one of my characters is a "good bastard", that's the only thing I told myself when I created him.

4. I don't have that problem so... I would say "Be water my friend", for me it needs to come naturally, so I shape my paragraph to be like a whole transition.