How to write waking up with an headache.

BigHoodieBoy

I’m trying to have a character wake up with a headache, but I don’t know how to convey the headache in 1st Person Present(which is one style I mostly if not only use.)
Any advice?

Layenlml

Search on youtube how does a headache feels, or migraine

Temple

I can give you an example from my writing. Not exactly a headache but waking up from getting beaten up which you might get some ideas from. I hope this helps you.

I groaned as I gradually regained consciousness. Buzzing pain drilled into the sides of my head. My eyes felt like they were getting pressed into my skull. Take the headache of staying up all night studying and then taking three final exams in a row, multiply that pain by five, or maybe even ten times. It was so bad I just wanted to chop my head off.

First thought: How long was I unconscious?

Second thought: Lucky no one tried to kill me while I was out.

Flickering yellow light from an old bulb above greeted me as I tried to open my eyes. “Shit, that’s bright,” I said, my parched throat making my voice sound like I had sandpaper for vocal cords. I immediately closed my eyes again; the lights weren’t blindingly bright, but they made my head and eyes hurt.

Waiting for my eyes to rest, I tried to feel around to have a clue where I was, but my body was too numb and weak to move and would barely follow my thoughts. It reminded me of the time I stupidly forced myself to do a heavy leg workout day after millennia of not going to the gym and I couldn’t feel my legs the next day, only this time, it was my entire body that was sore and out of commission.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Light sensitivity, ringing in ears, throbbing sensations, radiating pain, and pressure are all symptoms. A light that can worsen an already existing headache. You, my friend, nailed it.
I groaned as I gradually regained consciousness. Buzzing pain drilled into the sides of my head. My eyes felt like they were getting pressed into my skull. Take the headache of staying up all night studying and then taking three final exams in a row, multiply that pain by five, or maybe even ten times. It was so bad I just wanted to chop my head off.

First thought: How long was I unconscious?

Second thought: Lucky no one tried to kill me while I was out.

Flickering yellow light from an old bulb above greeted me as I tried to open my eyes. “Shit, that’s bright,” I said, my parched throat making my voice sound like I had sandpaper for vocal cords. I immediately closed my eyes again; the lights weren’t blindingly bright, but they made my head and eyes hurt.

Waiting for my eyes to rest, I tried to feel around to have a clue where I was, but my body was too numb and weak to move and would barely follow my thoughts. It reminded me of the time I stupidly forced myself to do a heavy leg workout day after millennia of not going to the gym and I couldn’t feel my legs the next day, only this time, it was my entire body that was sore and out of commission.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Basically the feeling of bashing your head into a wall. Not that I have any experience of bashing myself into a wall or anything. But kinda like you have a seering pain at the inside of your body that tightens the muscle or just a throbbing pain on your body.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Its throbbing but in your head. And it hurts pretty badly.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
I’m trying to have a character wake up with a headache, but I don’t know how to convey the headache in 1st Person Present(which is one style I mostly if not only use.)
Any advice?
Make them somewhat disoriented. Thoughts not making much sense.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Any advice?
"i woke with my head feeling like someone drilled a hole in it and then proceeded to skull-fuck me."
I mean, use whatever descriptive, colorful language you want. But like, its not anything that should take more than a sentence or two to convey?

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It depends on the type of headache. Is it pounding? Splitting?

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
Get drunk, jump off a truck, lift something heavy, and pick a fight with the floor. Then get back to us. I wrote from personal experience

SpiraSpira

Depends on the type of headache as others have said, but when I had really bad migraines I would see little sparkleys with my eyes closed.

Shaizic

Any advice?
hmm, maybe something like this

I open my eyes, grabbing at my head, feeling the blade stabbing me from all sides, yet no matter how much I rub, it wouldn't go away. I shouldn't have drunk all that stuff. It killed me. They told me it would, but I didn't listen. My mind feel dizzy from the angry of it all. rubbing my belly quickly feeling it bubble within int was the liquit rise i hope not. oh god shit not Am I going to barf no no I need to run. to the toilet, I can't puke on the floor. sigh of regret as the bad taste of the burning acid sizzle up my throat. gulping it back down "ug the horrible taste of pride of not wanting to shame my pride farther, sure no one around but I have to clean the stain. and who knows if someones may find out.

I don't know if that is the reason why his head hurts but that how you do it.. in 3 person you can do something like this

She grab at her head.. feeling her mind tunning . as the world around her spunn feeling throbbing sination beating inside her head. as she dug her nails to try to rip out the pain. but it was useless. any only made it worst.

(Yes it not very grammar full has a lot of error but i don't need to correct it because it just an example)