How well can you take criticism?

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Depends if they are a normal dude or can witchcraft. If its the latter, I don't wanna experience it again. Last time still scared me to the point where even if someone gifted me money to continue working on a novel, I rather give that money back and even delete the novel and the archives to the point where even burn the notebook of the idea where I got the story from.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I take criticism as it's given. Whatever criticism the person has is weighed by myself as to how opinionated it is. If it is a pure opinion that is not shared among others who have given criticism then I'll take it into consideration but probably won't do anything about it. If it is a proper criticism then I'll work on it in my next draft. I take no offense to criticism.

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
There is a difference between constructive criticism and being an asshole in the reviews. I take it when its posted and consider it but when its the other way around, no thanks.

it all depends if they can give criticisms that could help me.

i'm not trying to write a story but to help something become a reality, like a magic training or cultivation diary. kinda got tired of writing the usual fiction tbh.

so yeah, all of these criticisms about using better grammar or making things actually interesting was moot to me. the most I could do was probably helping it easier to understand for people who asked, and I'll clarify them.

i'd rather have them tell me, for example, if my way to summon a particular succubus right or wrong.

or if they could really connect to transcendent beings outside Earth and learn some magical techniques from them.

the last time i joined an occult community, it consists of cooking some herbs unavailable in my country and it had strict requirements such as the full moon and walpurgis night etc. for the rituals.

i don't have time to be that punctual with all my games and i'd rather it not having anything to do with tangible objects.

that's probably one reason why I post them on Ao3. if I posted them on SH, people probably would just too confused to understand what's happening. as a result--raining 1 star with nothing that benefits me.

plus Ao3 had a lot of strange things, so I reckon there would be strange beings in there. also i love how it's more peaceful in vibe.

Last edited:

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
it all depends if they can give criticisms that could help me.

i'm not trying to write a story but to help something become a reality, like a magic training or cultivation diary. kinda got tired of writing the usual fiction tbh.

so yeah, all of these criticisms about using better grammar or making things actually interesting was moot to me. the most I could do was probably helping it easier to understand for people who asked, and I'll clarify them.

i'd rather have them tell me, for example, if my way to summon a particular succubus right or wrong.

or if they could really connect to transcendent beings outside Earth and learn some magical techniques from them.

the last time i joined an occult community, it consists of cooking some herbs unavailable in my country and it had strict requirements such as the full moon and walpurgis night etc. for the rituals.

i don't have time to be that punctual with all my games and i'd rather it not having anything to do with tangible objects.

that's probably one reason why I post them on Ao3. if I posted them on SH, people probably would just too confused to understand what's happening. as a result--raining 1 star with nothing that benefits me.

plus Ao3 had a lot of strange things, so I reckon there would be strange beings in there. also i love how it's more peaceful in vibe.
Congratulations, I'm officially confused.

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
I accept it, not every novel is perfect after all. Though, I won't accept one that's not included in the novel like 'just insults' atleast give a constructed one where I will know the problem and I try to learn from it.

Most of I know is that I really need to improve my grammar or an editor cuz I'm still new that time.

Also, got my first novel review. He loved it but eventually stopped reading which I understand considering that I really don't know how does the phrasing and structure work though I try reading some work too here and enjoyed some which made me try some different approach on my story-making. so it's all good :blobthumbsup:

DeclanDSI

To me, there is criticism that gives suggestions on how they think a story might be better, and criticism that simply points out what they think is bad.

Now how someone views the quality of each type of criticism depends upon how much of a thick skin they have, if they are looking for praise, just the opinions of others without regard to whether it’s positive or negative, and/or how detailed the critics are and how well constructed their arguments are.

If someone says, “I don’t like the MC, he’s too dumb and too beta,” while I bet to most it would be seen completely unhelpful and just over all insulting, while it is that in the sense of not giving much of what the poster actually thinks of the story, it is helpful in determining what type of characters the poster likes, which if plenty of other people are posting the same thing and you are writing your story for it to get popular, is legitimately helpful in tailoring your story to the audience.

Some of you may think that’s soulless, but for those types of people, it is helpful. If you want to write for just yourself, no need to listen to what I said above and just skim the criticisms for ideas to take for your story and don’t bother with feeling in any way obligated to listen to them, especially since in your case the story isn’t for others, it’s for yourself.

If you want to improve as a writer in accordance with the standards of others, or at least in accordance with your standards that in some way include the opinions of others, then just skim the criticisms that all say simple things, like the ones that just say, “I think X thing is bad,” though if plenty of people are saying the same thing, while that doesn’t mean they are correct, it means there is a high possibility that something they are finding wrong in your work is, if you re-examine your story, something that you also would find wrong.

For criticism that is highly detailed and isn’t just a repetitive way of saying the same thing over and over in slightly different ways, (trust me, I’ve seen that type if thing before all while the poster says they’re giving out good, highly detailed and constructive criticism,) make sure to read over it, look at its arguments and for weak and strong points in its logic, then see how you would like to apply what they’ve said to your story, and, if you can, respond back in a constructive way (good arguments and what you like and dislike about what they’ve said) for what you think you’ll use of their criticisms.

And a big point here for both the authors and the critics, you can insult their arguments and what they’ve written all you want, though it still isn’t a good idea for constructive conversation, but insulting the posters themselves is a good way to lead into a flame war.

This is the advice I have. Thank you for coming to my *cough* Ted Talk. :P

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
I can take criticism if the person giving it at least bothered to read my work. Criticism is only good if you point out what is wrong and what could be improved on. Many people just bash your work, maybe with good reason, maybe not but if people just go "TLDR" then is a different story.

I always read that people on Royal Road are merciless with their criticism, but I actually got really nice reviews there. The worst criticism I got was actually here. Some guys did point out what I did wrong and that helped me to improve, but there have been others just being mean and that doesn't help at all.

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
I can take criticism if the person giving it at least bothered to read my work. Criticism is only good if you point out what is wrong and what could be improved on. Many people just bash your work, maybe with good reason, maybe not but if people just go "TLDR" then is a different story.

I always read that people on Royal Road are merciless with their criticism, but I actually got really nice reviews there. The worst criticism I got was actually here. Some guys did point out what I did wrong and that helped me to improve, but there have been others just being mean and that doesn't help at all.
My experience differs, the amount of 0.5s I've got on royalroad is astounding though ineffective due to an abundance of positive reviews/ratings.

The funniest part is, I've got more reads per chapter than people following my story over there.

Why? I haven't yet passed the binge worthy 100 pages mark. Or so, I've been told.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I don’t get criticism.
you see, criticism is the analysis of any given work, mounting both its merits and faults to provide an overall evaluation of said work's quality. it's used by creators as a way to identify their strengths and weaknesses and enhance the latter/rectify the former.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Depends on the criticism. If it actually points out some genuine flaws within the story, then I'm all ears and listening. If its more personal preference, I'll still listen, but not take it as seriously. If it's just an incoherent rant that misses the entire point of what I'm trying to do, then I just don't pay attention.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
I used to take it pretty bad years ago, but now it's okay. It just shows me that what I write still needs work and doesn't reflect on me as a person.

Murphy_

I am fine with criticism....though that's what I would like to think. When I see someone criticising my work in any way, I get jumpy and begin to overthink. Recently, a guy said an aspect of my story was utter bad and the reason of it wasn't even in my story. I still kinda felt bad. :sweating_profusely:

SkippyForfex

I'm totally fine with it I guess. Criticism helps me realize my flaws. But if the critic starts to get aggressive of course I'll get mad mad. But I just ignore the person.
I rather spend time writing my stories than waste my time on toxic people

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
you see, criticism is the analysis of any given work, mounting both its merits and faults to provide an overall evaluation of said work's quality. it's used by creators as a way to identify their strengths and weaknesses and enhance the latter/rectify the former.
my works are utmost perfection. No one is qualified to critique them, and they know it. Hence, they don't even try. Its simply what happens when the words of God flow through your fingertips.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I never hunt down people who criticize me and slowly skin them alive in front of their family next thursday in the hotel room you rented to hide from me JEFF!

petrderbikov

I am always very happy to receive criticism because it helps me move forward and correct my mistakes and shortcomings

Sylthix

I take it as I take everything else on the internet, with half a grain of salt