How would you classify comedy?

Could a story still be labeled as a "comedy" even if it's low-key?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

CeeceMeece

Hello everyone! My name is CeeceMeece and I have a question. I uploaded a new story to the site, I Refuse To Do Anything But Cook! and one of the genres I listed is comedy. Now, my question is at what point would you classify a story to be comedic? In my story, the comedy is low-key. What I mean by this is that there is no build up to it, but instead it starts and it ends in just a few sentences or less. It could be while characters are together and one of them makes a sarcastic or smart-ass remark, to which another person may or may not react to. It could be someone who makes a few salty opinions to themselves.

If it's like this, would you still classify stories that have these quick, under-the-radar moments as a comedy? I'd really love to hear your answers!

Kotohood

Noob Author
I derived comedy by two simple meters.

Is your intention is to make me laugh?

Is the essence of making me laugh present throughout the story?

If it's yes, then I call it comedy, else it's Comedy at parts at most.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I think it’s comedy as long as it’s an essential and/or constant part of the story. How you execute it, is your preference as writer.

Well, as long as people get your humor and you want to make them laugh, then it should be okay.

But if the amount of comedic interaction is like only once every five chapters, then no.

CeeceMeece

Thank you both so much for your feedback! If I may ask another question that's open to anyone (you don't have to answer); how soon should a story get to the comedy?

I do want to make people laugh, or at least have a chuckle, because my story is meant to be slice of life "dramedy" (drama+comedy). However, because the characters don't know each other that well yet, it's going to take a while to get to that comedy part.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Thank you both so much for your feedback! If I may ask another question that's open to anyone (you don't have to answer); how soon should a story get to the comedy?

I do want to make people laugh, or at least have a chuckle, because my story is meant to be slice of life "dramedy" (drama+comedy). However, because the characters don't know each other that well yet, it's going to take a while to get to that comedy part.
Personally, I don't think you should plan out comedy. It should come organically since if you're too conscious of when you can put it in a story, it might seem rather out of place when introduced.
However, because the characters don't know each other that well yet, it's going to take a while to get to that comedy part.
So are you saying the comedy is heavily reliant on these two characters? Why does it have to be? Might be because I don't know the context so I can't really say much about it.

CeeceMeece

Personally, I don't think you should plan out comedy. It should come organically since if you're too conscious of when you can put it in a story, it might seem rather out of place when introduced.

So are you saying the comedy is heavily reliant on these two characters? Why does it have to be? Might be because I don't know the context so I can't really say much about it.
It's a group of characters who become friends over the course of the story. And friends joke, laugh, and make fun of each other. It's in these interactions where the comedy comes in to play.

Scribbler

I believe what you're talking about are comedic undertones.

For me, comedy doesn't necessarily require a setup and punchline. My brand of comedy is situational, where one character may have a different sense of common sense or priorities from another.

Your description doesn't sound like a comedy, but instead like comedic tones that are under things. Personally, I wouldn't call it a comedy. But I think you can still call it comedy.

I forget where I read this before. But for genres there's a difference in tone and genres. It's like how adventure is a tone, while action is something that the reader expects to actually happen.

I'm sorry if I didn't make much sense.

Ninetailed_Furball

Personally, it's comedy if that's the intent. If you're just sprinkling jokes in here and there, it's not comedy. It's just jokes in a story. But if the jokes are the focus, or a significant part of the story, then it's a comedy.

Like I said, it's intent. A comedian doesn't have to make you laugh for their routine to be a comedy.

In regards to how quickly should the jokes start showing in a comedy? I'd say pretty quickly. It's not a hard and fast rule, but if you don't establish the feel of your story very early, then people will think it's supposed to be a different genre and get disappointed or even angry when you move on to the meat of the style.

If the beginning of your story isn't funny, but it's supposed to be a comedy, then put in a prologue that establishes the feel of what your story is supposed to be, then do a chapter 1 where you spend time doing the setup.

Kotohood

Noob Author

It's not really about how soon, but how consistent it is. If you go off with a bang, make sure to keep that high consistent.

Also, even if the charaters are not well developed, you could always use the comedy aspect to develop them. Take for example a series called 'The Mentalist' each episode begins with a short where the main character comedically interacts with other cast through witty remarks and clever deductions. The character also throw jabs at each other. You could see more of their personal and casual personailities.

You could use this as a technique to bring life and comedic moments to your story while also developing characters within the narative.

Just remember to be consistent. :blobthumbsup:

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
Consistency is key! But I understand the struggle of not being able to place in story elements, especially genres, until later in the story. I was finalyl able to put my mystery genre to use in my story, and I'm on chapter 16.

CeeceMeece

Thank you all for your thoughts, you've been such a great help! And I didn't even know comedic undertones was a tag!