Writing How would you describe the smell of a fabcon or at least the smell of a bunch of flowers?

MrPasserby

I'm currently writing about it for my web novel series, and I need some ideas on how it smell to others.

Thank you!

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Doesnt need to be a whole paragraph long. Flowers? I would just say they smell feminine, soft, and subtly sweet. Yes, emotions and adjectives can be used to describe scents, too. Why? Because scents can give you certain feelings. What images and feelings are conjured when you smell cinnamon, for example? I think of autumn. Of bright, burning reds. Cold mornings and warm homes.

Whatever emotions and scenes that scent conjures in your mind, that's how you can describe it. This also makes it much more personal.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Um....Grass and the taste of vegetable? I don't know much but at least I know how grass smells. Its grass. Thats it.

Like how you smell lavender, flora and sunflower, you basically can compare them with the mix of flora and other types of nature the goddess smells like, basically the artificial smell of girls after taking a bath.

MrPasserby

Doesnt need to be a whole paragraph long. Flowers? I would just say they smell feminine, soft, and subtly sweet. Yes, emotions and adjectives can be used to describe scents, too. Why? Because scents can give you certain feelings. What images and feelings are conjured when you smell cinnamon, for example? I think of autumn. Of bright, burning reds. Cold mornings and warm homes.

Whatever emotions and scenes that scent conjures in your mind, that's how you can describe it. This also makes it much more personal.
Just a few additional words will do.

Thank you.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
what's a fabcon?

as for flower, it actually depends on the flower type. if you present a flower like Lily then you describe it as "soothing and wet smell", for stronger flower like rose you can describe it as "strong and dry sweet scent"
there's also sometimes to describe a poisonous flowers like Lily of the Valley, Belladonna (Nightshade) or Potato Flower , which describe as "it's odorless unless you get close to it, but if you inhale the pollen from close by, you're hit by nauseating yet bitter and refreshing feel"

truth to be told tho, most people actually made those description up. very few reader would actually care at how the flower scent actually is.

OokamiKasumi

Author of Quality Smut
I'm currently writing about it for my web novel series, and I need some ideas on how it smell to others.

Thank you!
What you need is a thesaurus: a book that gives you a list of a word's synonyms to use for descriptions -- so you're not repeating the same words over and over, even if you're describing exactly the same thing.

Example: Scent from Thesaurus.Com
I prefer using: Roget's Hyperlinked Thesaurus.
-- I like it because it's far more detailed in it's definitions. However, it's trickier to use because of all the abbreviations.

Example: Scent

#398 Odor: Nn. redolence, effluvium, emanation, exhalation, breath, whiff, fume, trail, odor, smell, scent, flavor, savor, essence -- sense of smell, smell, smelling, scent, olfaction, olfactory -- scent, perfume -- smell, scent, sniff, snuff, nose, inhale, breathe, breathe in.

#400 Fragrance: Nn. perfume, parfum, scent, essence, aromatic, ambrosia -- cense, incense, essence, thurify, aromatize, fumigate, embalm, rose-water, perfume, scent.

#480a Discovery: Vb. scent, sniff, smell, get wind of.

#527 Information: Nn. clue, scent, telltale.

#550 Indication: Nn. spoor, sign, scent -- clue, clew, key, secret, scent, telltale.

Last edited: