How would you write comedy characters?

Sandycat135

Since I have no idea how to write stuff, imma ask strangers on the internet.
So, I'm trying to write a comedy/satire on the isekaied op harem protagonist. He recovers memories of his past life after getting a concussion from a tsundere and realizes that he reincarnated into a trashy harem novel he wrote when he was 13. Problem is, 13 year old him had no idea how to write and tried to use suffering to make his character sympathetic.
I want to make the characters ridiculous, act in a way no real person would act, but sympathetic and likable.

Last edited:

Blackout

Worshipper of Chin Chin the Dark Lord
what's the exact genre of the novel? Action? Sci-fi? Fantasy?

i just focus on the comedy and cutting off all the unnecessary details, i guess.

like, probably the main character wanted to be a sentient boob instead of a human. at least as a boob you would stay with the one you love, until she decide to rip it apart.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Uhn... Just try writing funny situations and reactions I guess? Make things kinda exaggerated and stuff.

Sandycat135

what's the exact genre of the novel? Action? Sci-fi? Fantasy?
Fantasy.
A mess of a mash between everything the 13 y.o MC thought was cool at the time. He points this out a lot. e.g Wuxia, generic isekai world

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
A lot of comedy comes when people say what they are secretly thinking but wouldn't normally say aloud because it violates social norms. A lot of people think my story is funny because it violates social norms. To me, the social norms themselves are the funny part.

Yiphen

Chaotic Lil' Demon
Comedy is making people laugh when you say something they don't expect. If there's wit, there's comedy.

DDTStudios

Hm, using references is one way to do it. The other way is to crack some inside jokes in your story then bringing them back up at a later point. Or you could use some general humor by incorporating funny idioms into your story.

Blackout

Worshipper of Chin Chin the Dark Lord
Well, i got a few ideas for characters that is "ridiculous, act in a way no real person would act, but sympathetic and likable"

1. the character is someone way detached from the normal humans, like a princess, or a demon lord. since they're not used to, or don't know how normal humans act, they might act stupid because of it

2. make the character gullible and will believe in any bs told by a sadist who loves to see that character make a fool of themselves