How would you write (did you write) your own magical girl story?

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Yep. Answer the question in however detailed or sparse you want. How would you write your own magical girl story? I know there's several flavors of the magical girl genre out there in manga and anime, as well as in SH and other sites like RR. We all have our influences from life and books to manga and anime, so I'm just curious. Oh, and for those of you who have written one of your own, how did you write your magical girl story?

My answer: I was bored of writing the same old occult detective boy story that I've since lost my motivation for writing, so I needed to write something different, something fresh, something totally different from what I've been writing. After binge-watching Magikano and Prétear and Cardcaptor Sakura, I though, Hey, why not write a magical girl story? And I did, and it turned into this ungodly behemoth of a book (I'm on the last chapter of the 4th volume out of 6 volumes altogether) called Days of Blood and Roses, which has consumed the better part of my writing for five years now. In it, I went down the rabbit hole of dark, crazy, action-filled insanity (a la, Madoka Magica, though maybe not quite as horrific), where I'm still at it today. Since I record my dreams in a dream diary and have read several classic works from Lewis Carroll and L. Frank Baum and Edgar Allan Poe, I added in a dreampunk / portal fantasy flavor to my story and elements from the three mentioned authors, as well as other old genre authors I've read. As for how I wrote it, it was slowly by accretion in between the slings and arrows of life.

What about you?

Last edited:

Mephi

Magical girls are basically just a variation of the superhero genre. Super powers, costume changes no one can see through, heroes and villains, etc. Just localized to their own branch of antagonists

So my magical girls get their powers from a familiar... But end up running into gadgeteers, speedsters, etc from outside the usual magical girl rogue gallery

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I think I'd dive more into the main character's emotional struggles. Stuff like an incredible fear of going into battle while also having a strong sense of responsibility over her need to save the world due to whatever plot reason I came up with.

Or stuff like how the magical girl life would be conflicting with her daily life and how it was hard for her to make both things work well together... Or about how the stress of being "forced" to do magical girl work ended up taking a huge toll on her mental health and making her unable to properly manage her daily life and start kinda ruining her previously established and healthy relationships...

Stuff like that I guess. I wouldn't necessarily make something like Madoka that has a darker setting in regards to how the Magical Girls work, but instead I'd go with something that is closer to a standard idea of a Magical Girl, but with a main character that is somewhat weak-willed, scared of battles and maybe emotionally unstable.

Daitengu

Kinda tried of magical girl stories being either dark or cute. I think I would go for a retired magical girl story. A slice of life story of a woman dealing with things a battle hardened ex soldier would deal with. Survivors guilt, PTSD, loss of comrades, and just trying to deal with normies who can't know what violent hardship really is.

JayDirex

I like this type 💖🙂 she got issues.
Machine Gun Mikki.jpg

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
I started on a magical girl story, but never completed it. I could do it now, but to be honest, I don't think I'd want to. Not that it's bad, but just that I want to write other things

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Kinda tried of magical girl stories being either dark or cute. I think I would go for a retired magical girl story. A slice of life story of a woman dealing with things a battle hardened ex soldier would deal with. Survivors guilt, PTSD, loss of comrades, and just trying to deal with normies who can't know what violent hardship really is.
This is not exactly what you described, but still, this manga touches on the topic of retired magical girls. It's pretty interesting IMO: https://mangadex.org/title/42b7e22e-de2d-4816-9380-c65432aa0fb3

It's more on the comedic side than the PTSD side, but it's still interesting to see what the lives of retired magical girls would be like.

... Sadly it hasn't gotten a new chapter translated since forever... T.T

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I only did a one-shot since I was just trying out an idea I have.

Its a magical girl VS Mechas where magical girls suddenly came out of nowhere and attack the human race, converting them into magical girls through a very gory proceedure of turning them into magical girls.

To combat them, humans turned to science and soon created exo-suits to mechas where the MC is a man trying to kill every single magical girls.

It turn out to be a hybrid of Attack on Titan, magical girls and Titanfall.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Yep. Answer the question in however detailed or sparse you want. How would you write your own magical girl story? I know there's several flavors of the magical girl genre out there in manga and anime, as well as in SH and other sites like RR. We all have our influences from life and books to manga and anime, so I'm just curious. Oh, and for those of you who have written one of your own, how did you write you magical girl story?

My answer: I was bored of writing the same old occult detective boy story that I've since lost my motivation for writing, so I need to write something different, something fresh, something totally different from what I've been writing. After binge-watching Magikano and Prétear and Cardcaptor Sakura, I though, Hey, why not write a magical girl story? And I did, and it turned into this ungodly behemoth of a book (I'm on the last chapter of the 4th volume out of 6 volumes altogether) called Days of Blood and Roses, which has consumed the better part of my writing for the better part of five years. In it, I went down the rabbit hole of dark, crazy, action-filled insanity (a la, Madoka Magica), where I'm still at today. Since I record my dreams in a dream diary and have read several classic works from Lewis Carroll and L. Frank Baum and Edgar Allan Poe, I added in a dreampunk / portal fantasy flavor to my story and elements from the three mentioned authors, as well as other old genre authors I've read. As for how I wrote it, it was slowly by accretion in between the slings and arrows of life.

What about you?
I maybe have written a magical girl…
78DD25D9-1B76-4593-91EA-8C81552BFB7B.gif
78DD25D9-1B76-4593-91EA-8C81552BFB7B.gif

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Carefully

Also, I would make their mana source the semen of their enemies.

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
I'd make it a horror story where a little girl has to face the overwhelming terrors of the world... Which is my incomplete novel magic of love I guess?

Reinaislost

Miss Direction
I've been meaning to write one for quite some time. Well, before that, I'd like to say that I've read your story and was deeply impressed by it (waiting for the continuation).

Now, returning to the topic at hand, the main theme of my story is 'friendship', or 'the idea of making friends'. Yes, friendship comes first. Anything else, mysteries, or the stuff happening come later.
Not quite like "Fairy Tail" or any other similar shounen out there, I might add, but if you've read "Nora and the Search for Friends," you might get my point. Friendship themed stories are few and far between, and as I've always liked such stories, that's the main driving point behind writing this story.

The setting is that five girls could travel to a different world as magical girls in their dreams. The task is to unravel the mysteries of that world.
The main character is an oddity among them. As such, her task is to find 'why?', and take action regarding it. As I've stated out earlier, the stuff happening is a secondary thing, but bonding and character drama (in both real and dream worlds) are my first priorities.

I understand it'd be very difficult to pull it off, so advice is always welcome.

Last edited:

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Oh, wow, that story sounds like something I'd read, it being a group of magical girls in a dream world. And yes, friendship is one of the key themes in magical girl stories. Friendship's definitely one of the themes for my book (thanks for reading it, btw), among other heavier themes. I haven't read the story you mentioned, but I get the general push of it.

As for advice, what advice are you looking for? I might be able to help, hopefully.

(waiting for the continuation)

Oh, and I've managed to get myself to edit two of my chapters for DoBaR, so expect more installments in the next few weeks, starting from today, since I posted another installment earlier today. I tried correcting SPAG errors in previous chapters, so it'll reads better.
Magical girls are basically just a variation of the superhero genre. Super powers, costume changes no one can see through, heroes and villains, etc. Just localized to their own branch of antagonists

So my magical girls get their powers from a familiar... But end up running into gadgeteers, speedsters, etc from outside the usual magical girl rogue gallery
Yep, definitely. I used to gravitate towards the witch-type magical girls rather than the sentai/soldier-type magical girls, but I've since liked both of them in equal measure after reading Baum's The Marvelous Land of Oz. I've eschewed the animal familiar for older semi-retired magical girls to teach the younger ones.
I'm working on one now, Hidden Beacons. It's how I'm trying out the LitRPG genre. It's high fantasy with a bit of stats in it.
Yours was interesting. I have yours in my reading list. I'm still new to this LitRPG thing, so having a magical girl story as a way to introduce me to to another genre is a cool idea.
I'd make it a horror story where a little girl has to face the overwhelming terrors of the world... Which is my incomplete novel magic of love I guess?
Kind of reminds me of Little Nightmares, actually.
I only did a one-shot since I was just trying out an idea I have.

Its a magical girl VS Mechas where magical girls suddenly came out of nowhere and attack the human race, converting them into magical girls through a very gory proceedure of turning them into magical girls.

To combat them, humans turned to science and soon created exo-suits to mechas where the MC is a man trying to kill every single magical girls.

It turn out to be a hybrid of Attack on Titan, magical girls and Titanfall.
Oh, that kinda sounds like Magical Girl Apocalypse, actually, but that's a cool mixed bag of concepts there.

Last edited: