How would you write God?

Jessie_Emilyn

As flawed as any other character. I mean it depends a lot on what gods are in your story. If they are simply stronger beings then it is just the scale of their creation and destruction that is different and how much that can impact them. If they are too powerful, too knowledgeable, and such then I expect a lot more apathy. If they are a leader of a celestial empire then they could be overly stressed or busy and just want to have some time for themselves. It also depends on their age, are they a young god that is still filled with wonder or exploring, or are they an old god that has seen a lot and doesn't even keep track of what is happening anymore.

Appearance varies on your story and rules. No point in having a physical form of a god if it means transcending to a non-physical form. If they are simply evolved from mortal to eternal with a lot of power they might gain a few extra traits while being basically the same or actively not changing ever again. If they start as a god then it goes back to what is a god.

Speech I imagine based a bit more on the time they came about and what habits they picked up. Some people adapt accents easily and some don't generally change them so it depends on how flexible the god is for change.

Heck if gods are powerful enough to change themselves then maybe they just play around with their attributes or change it every so often as to not be bored. Maybe the gods have already explored them all and found what they desire themselves to be or what has the most impact on mortals if they interact with them. It all really depends on the story setting and the rules of such a story.

"I have seen the universe's creation and end, I have seen any action that can happen and all I know is that it bores me. I have changed worlds for the fun of it, creating life and destroying the very galaxy that I nurtured like a child throwing away their toys. I am eternal and have seen and experienced everything and all I can say is that existence bores me. I just ignore reality and try to pass the time but honestly, I just wish for something different." - an apathetic and bored god that has done everything.

someguysomeone

One of the dime a dozen undead
completely inane being of pure emotions who is so above logic that he doesn't even need it.

They evolved past need of logic and only work based on emotions

Terragammaton

Just as the title says, if you need to introduce God as one of your characters, what will be his personality, his appearance, his speech and all.
Like FMAB's "kami" or the recent MT's Hitogami "Human God". Indescribable voice with many a gender and age. A playful personality yet awfully indifferent to everything other "their" own satisfaction. Of course, what makes a character godlike is "their" godlike presentation. So the surroundings would be an endless pitfall/rise of "something" leading to said "kami". The introduction of said story's ultimate being has to be natural and unnatural the same time. Having a blank expanse is meh, so I rather have Chaos Theory made manifest in the background with see-through object-like structures akin to polymorphic substances all spiraling to "kami". An avatar in human shape and form, but its true essence is the very background itself. Attempting to outsmart or understand "it" beyond its presentable existence is equivalent to mentally calculate 1 from 0.

Last edited:

Agentt

Thighs
As flawed as any other character. I mean it depends a lot on what gods are in your story. If they are simply stronger beings then it is just the scale of their creation and destruction that is different and how much that can impact them. If they are too powerful, too knowledgeable, and such then I expect a lot more apathy. If they are a leader of a celestial empire then they could be overly stressed or busy and just want to have some time for themselves. It also depends on their age, are they a young god that is still filled with wonder or exploring, or are they an old god that has seen a lot and doesn't even keep track of what is happening anymore.

Appearance varies on your story and rules. No point in having a physical form of a god if it means transcending to a non-physical form. If they are simply evolved from mortal to eternal with a lot of power they might gain a few extra traits while being basically the same or actively not changing ever again. If they start as a god then it goes back to what is a god.

Speech I imagine based a bit more on the time they came about and what habits they picked up. Some people adapt accents easily and some don't generally change them so it depends on how flexible the god is for change.

Heck if gods are powerful enough to change themselves then maybe they just play around with their attributes or change it every so often as to not be bored. Maybe the gods have already explored them all and found what they desire themselves to be or what has the most impact on mortals if they interact with them. It all really depends on the story setting and the rules of such a story.

"I have seen the universe's creation and end, I have seen any action that can happen and all I know is that it bores me. I have changed worlds for the fun of it, creating life and destroying the very galaxy that I nurtured like a child throwing away their toys. I am eternal and have seen and experienced everything and all I can say is that existence bores me. I just ignore reality and try to pass the time but honestly, I just wish for something different." - an apathetic and bored god that has done everything.
I have nothing to say except, my God is all of that.

morhamza

Interesting. I would make him mysterious as possible. I would give him no name, change his face often and make his interactions as out there as possible. The context of the story matters, but if the story allows I would make him seem almost insane. I would make him nonchalant about the suffering of others and careless about life, but make him goal oriented. The stereotypical anti-hero that won't hesitate to sacrifice a whole planet for some grander good.

OpenGL

If God still has 'humanity' or 'being' characteristic, then it is not a god. I believe God is the Almighty, and my meagre mind could never comprehend what He actually is. So I couldn't write a God.

If it was some 'gods' of idol worship pagan or something that is still attached with 'humanity', 'duality', or anything like that, then I can somehow think or just imagine about it, but to write it? That's blasphemy, so no. I won't even try to write it.

D

Deleted member 45782

Depends. And depends if one is tying some of that to mythology, religion and folklore. Then will do some research to paint it how some of those stories painted them in the past before deciding to make a twist.

Or, go crazy like Supernatural.
Or at certain point, maybe they just decided to move on to creating better things.

It really depends.

D

Deleted member 45782

Ai-chan is your goddess. So just describe Ai-chan.
fluffy vocal queen of yuri. gives sharp, concise and helpful fluff points when asked for opinions.
don't let her catch you shitting or she'll write you into the book of shitness.

Razogul

I'd say god would most likely be arrogant and/or bored. I mean, there is also the chance of 'god' being a position of power and not just an individual. So, with each individual becoming god, they can make their own sort of rules and such. Hell, even change reality in which we don't even notice due to our minds being manipulated to think it's natural. Lots of different versions to write god tbh.

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
Which one?

Odin? The allfather?

Baphomet? The duality?

YHWH? Allah? The Father? The Creator?

Khaos? The God of Space?

Brahman? The Ultimate Reality?

Amenominakanushi? The Source of the Universe?

Nun? The Watery One?

Or Her Unholiness, the Goddess of fujoshi and fudanshi?

I think it greatly depends on how u want to portrait THEM.

For a fic that has a lot of them and is in a religious neutral ground like mine, i would keep my distance and not describe them very clearly. Mortal can’t perceive all that there are of a God. It’s best to leave some mystery behind, and let the characters or the narrators describe them in only one aspect that is most important to them.

Last edited:

Agentt

Thighs
Which one?

Odin? The allfather?

Baphomet? The duality?

YHWH? Allah? The Father? The Creator?

Khaos? The God of Space?

Brahman? The Ultimate Reality?

Amenominakanushi? The Source of the Universe?

Nun? The Watery One?

Or Her Unholiness, the Goddess of fujoshi and fudanshi?
Whichever you want. Mine is the last one, but he is normal.

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
Whichever you want. Mine is the last one, but he is normal.

Describing a God or whatever character in your work is the same as telling your readers how you perceive Them.

Whether you respect them or hold disdain against them is laid bare to the readers to see.
  • Some would try to describe them in all their glory.
  • Some define the characteristics that most appealing to them.
  • Some will let them speak and through their words allows the readers to imagine them.
  • Other will just flood out aliases of the God.
I personally don’t really describe them any different from other characters just put some words to emphasize their importance.

peelsdeeni

The Unoriginal Disappointment
Just as the title says, if you need to introduce God as one of your characters, what will be his personality, his appearance, his speech and all.
Making him a NEET who enjoys mortal snacks, playing mortal video games(his current fav is this rhythm game), and likes to push all his work onto his secretary(who is also a God) and other celestial beings(including other Gods and who knows what)