I am about to release a new book and would like your opinion on the cover I made for it

Opinion on Cover

• Perfect (it's not but your nice for lying)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A good cover

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Decent for an Amateur

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Neither here nor there (but should work)

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Neither here nor there (but will not work)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Well you are an Amateur

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Not the worst but only because there is an option below this one

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • A Dumpster Fire I wasn't kind enough to provide complimentary Eye-bleach with for after you finish

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Akhier

Basically what the title says. I am about to release my new novel "Dungeon's Path" and have created a simple cover. I would like your opinion on it as I can still change stuff a little if anyone notices something wrong.
Original:
Floor1-C23-Royal Road - TempCover.png

Current with suggested Edits:
Floor1-C23-Royal Road - TempCover 5.png

Last edited:

Akhier

I like it, but I think the title should be above the maze/labyrinth. The way I see it right now, the title kinda blends with the background.
Okay, how does this look now? With the title at the top the bottom looked empty so I moved the author title down.
Floor1-C23-Royal Road - TempCover 2.png

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
Could use a bit of color honestly. I see there's some blue on the edges and some colored cubes, but it's still mostly a pure black and a pure white, and these are not fun colors. As a general rule of thumb, always avoid "pure" 255 colors.

RinDes

I think the background adds a little too much, and the maze less impactful. Perhaps a gradient could work better, unless the space theme is necessary, and if so, you could lower it's opacity, or make the pattern go from solid to transparent. Otherwise, maybe keeping a simple color as the background would do the trick.

Akhier

Could use a bit of color honestly. I see there's some blue on the edges and some colored cubes, but it's still mostly a pure black and a pure white, and these are not fun colors. As a general rule of thumb, always avoid "pure" 255 colors.
I softened the colors and changed the 'pure' colors.

I think the background adds a little too much, and the maze less impactful. Perhaps a gradient could work better, unless the space theme is necessary, and if so, you could lower it's opacity, or make the pattern go from solid to transparent. Otherwise, maybe keeping a simple color as the background would do the trick.
Having it pointed out does make it obvious that the background is distracting. It is there for a reason of sorts so I de-emphasized it with some purple.

Also after having done what was suggested by the both of you the white outlines I had used to make the text and maze standout had gotten distracting even when softened so I removed them. The black/grey outline already there was different enough from the now purpleish background and seemed to be fine.
Floor1-C23-Royal Road - TempCover 3.png

Akhier

I had someone suggest elsewhere that the title on top was too close to said top and the purple didn't work with the green.
Floor1-C23-Royal Road - TempCover 4.png

Also I will be heading to work soon so won't see anything until I get back in sevenish hours

DragonMage18

The original is the best one, just get some more distinction/contrast between the title and the dungeon.

As it is all the attention will be taken by the dungeon since it's larger and have bigger areas with pure white.

So my advice is to make a hirarcy, where what you want to bee seen the most is on the top. Then work from there. Just remember that the brighter something apears the more likely it will catch your atention (obviously the same can be said for a dark spot on a bright surface).

EDIT: You could also try changing the color of the text

DragonMage18

I think this is going to work better than the modifications you have done (might be since i did it myselfe).
By using colors that are brighter and more diffrent than elswhere i think that it's easier to actualy see the the texst while the dungeon can stil keep it's retro look.
The reason for the color on teh by: bla blabla is that it goes more into the background but is stil easily separated from it.

kover forslag 1 liten.png

Thanks for giving me a reason for playing a bit around with photoshop once more @Akhier.
So what do you think?

BTW great work on making the cover, could probably have used 4-5 hours and stil not be anywhere close to what you managed to make. Only reason i even tried to do something here was because i have studyed a bit about what to do to make things catch your atention visualy.

EDIT: And sorry for forgeting to make that area on the g black, the letter looks soooo, so terrible now and teh picture is a BIT to large.
EDIT 2: you don't have to move the title above the dungeon, but rising it a bit might be a good idea.

Last edited:

Kotohood

Noob Author
I think this is going to work better than the modifications you have done (might be since i did it myselfe).
By using colors that are brighter and more diffrent than elswhere i think that it's easier to actualy see the the texst while the dungeon can stil keep it's retro look.
The reason for the color on teh by: bla blabla is that it goes more into the background but is stil easily separated from it.

View attachment 1718

Thanks for giving me a reason for playing a bit around with photoshop once more @Akhier.
So what do you think?

BTW great work on making the cover, could probably have used 4-5 hours and stil not be anywhere close to what you managed to make. Only reason i even tried to do something here was because i have studyed a bit about what to do to make things catch your atention visualy.

EDIT: And sorry for forgeting to make that area on the g black, the letter looks soooo, so terrible now and teh picture is a BIT to large.
EDIT 2: you don't have to move the title above the dungeon, but rising it a bit might be a good idea.
This is good.

Akhier

With the additional feedback here and elsewhere the first version is well liked. Feedback still stands though so I played around with it a little. The only thing I can't get right at the moment is whether the words should be on the top and bottom or at the center.
Floor1-C23-Royal Road - TempCover 5.png
Floor1-C23-Royal Road - TempCover 6.png

GeriatricTools

With the additional feedback here and elsewhere the first version is well liked. Feedback still stands though so I played around with it a little. The only thing I can't get right at the moment is whether the words should be on the top and bottom or at the center.
View attachment 1719View attachment 1720
Center. That is where people’s line of sight fall on first, and it is a bit awkward having the title all the way at the top and then the author’s name all the way at the bottom.