I Bear a Grudge so Deep and True...

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Did you see something that pissed you off today? Is there something you saw or someone you saw that just, without rhyme or reason, irritated you to no end? Is there a trope in novels that makes you go batsh**** crazy?

THEN YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!

Write down what pissed you off today and (hopefully) make yourself feel better. Sometimes, sharing trivial annoyances just makes the day all the brighter. Although, by just a bit.

Disclaimer: No proof that sharing your grudges will make you feel better. Just wanted to put this here to make myself feel better. lol

One grudge per entry only please! Double posting? Who cares!? Just jot down your grudges and let it flow.

Last edited:

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Right now, it was a trope that irritated me. Heroine in a novel is late into her 20s, is self-deprecatingly putting herself down, and doesn't have a suitor which makes her depressed. Miracle of miracles, enter younger man that comes out of nowhere and finds her oh-so-interesting and pursues her quite persistently. Hook line and sinker, she takes the bait, BUT WAIT. SUDDENLY, A SUITOR HER AGE SUDDENLY SHOWS UP AND HE HAS A STABLE JOB, QUITE THE LOOKER, GREAT FASHION SENSE, AND IS CONFIDENT AS SIN...

BARF

Apparently, she was just too dense to realize someone had been interested in her all along. *Insert eye roll here*

Ehem Ehem

Just had to let that out...

DonutEatingDoggo

Overpowered MCs. Like really overpowered MC to the point that they are the creator or a high god of the entire world yet what do they do? Either they create a mortal body or pretend to be an average joe in a not so friendly normal world in which they all act inappropriately yet wonder why trouble always comes right at their doorstep. Whats even more infuriating is that THERE ARE EVEN TIMES THE NOVEL TALKS ABOUT MC LIVING FOR YEARS FROM BEING A NEW BORN YET NEVER ONCE TRIED TO THINK OF ANYTHING FANTASY LIKE OR SUMMON THE STATUS INTERFACE they would just suddenly realize it when they are more than a couple months old or maybe even years before they are like WOW I DIDNT KNOW THAT EXIST! Come on with all the freetime you had not doing anything, without the internet to catch your attention or lots of entertainment to kill time with, you could've atleast used your imagination and thought of random things you could relate with fantasy and the supernatural as you know you've literally been reincarnated for god's sake. Heck even if I stopped browsing the net for a day I wouldve started thinking of so many dumb things to the point that I couldnt even count the ideas that wouldve run inside my head for me try out in real life.

bananapink

The Sickly Banana
What a timely post... I'm still shaking in anger after reading a review about my favored novel. The person doesn't like the MC's carefree attitude towards the ML. After reading so many boring/overbearing male leads and ruthless/frozen-face females I finally found my ideal couple who are both chill and sexy only to get it bashed??? I love that novel with all my heart, lungs and liver!!!!

TT^TT

Thor

True for almost every JP Novel and many original novels on various sites. I still read them and everytime I encounter those moments it feels like my anger rises up to a new threshold. Today I encountered it again...

I have to keep my strength a secret because 'reasons'. Wait there a people dying in front of me, I could have prevented it. OH NO why did this happen?! Ah why is the world so cruel? Nevermind, if I had used my strength then the bird over there could have seen it and told EVERYONE about it and 'things' would happen.

Come on, what the actual fuck? I dont get the authors who use this 'trope' if you could call it like that.

DonutEatingDoggo

There is this one novel that i read, the mc was a administrator of a world and was reborn as a mortal. AND SHE DOESN'T EVEN TRY TO ABUSE THE CHEAT FOR F**K SAKE.
She doesn't even try to MOTHERF**KING ALTER HER F**KING STATUS FOR F**K SAKE. REEEEÈEEEEEE
Hey we read the same novel and even I am infuriated with the MC because of how on earth was she not able to devise other magics if shes like been living for couple of years already. And whats worse is that magic for her only needs imagination to cast and yet she only knows simple commands like bind and release. What the hell? With all those time other reincarnation MCs wouldve already abused the imagination based magic system of the world!

I got infuriated by a novel so much, when I get spoiled.

it's about a MC who get turned to a girl, and when it started yuri, it eventually got into her being forced to have sex with a guy she didn't even love, just for plot reasons.

when they bring up het rape to a comfy yuri novel, it's just a big no to me.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Edits. Unending edits from clients.

I want the logo on the right.

Submit study.

Wait, I think it would be better on the left.

Edit and submit. Actually, it's better on the right after all.

Pause for breath, edit, and submit. Oh, can you change the color to something like slate teal?

Ok, what is that even????

Nerodith

LMAO I think you guys are talking about my story (sorry :blob_no:)

In my case, it would be stories romanticizing rape.
I really can't stand the MCs in those kind of story. I mean, it's not their fault they got raped, but girl (most of the time it's a girl). Really? You're really falling in love with the guy who's constantly sexually harassing you and forces himself on you? Nah.
I don't mind the rape itself, but the development of the plot afterwards got to make sense. The webtoon Light and Shadow is a good example. The main characters' relationship started with rape, but it never once got romanticized.

DonutEatingDoggo

I really can't stand the MCs in those kind of story. I mean, it's not their fault they got raped, but girl (most of the time it's a girl). Really? You're really falling in love with the guy who's constantly sexually harassing you and forces himself on you? Nah.
I don't mind the rape itself, but the development of the plot afterwards got to make sense. The webtoon Light and Shadow is a good example. The main characters' relationship started with rape, but it never once got romanticized.
Sorry for criticizing the story. I honestly like the premise of the story but it all changed when the mid gods got introduced as it seems really forced with how comedic their backgrounds is in comparison to the somewhat serious story(?). Other than that its fine all together as I got my fair share of experiences reading novels with same settings and its just that its your novel that I have recently read that took the brunt of the impact.

............... also

Oh yeah I absolutely agree with you. How can you even romanticize rape? I cant think of anything else other than stockholm syndrome which isnt romantic at all. Girls in those stories would always be like "Oh no, Im so helpless. Gotta close my eyes as he forced himself onto me!" Then be all like lovestruck or comfy afterwards with the criminal. How on earth is that even remotely acceptable?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I hate it when people read the power level guidelines in a roleplay that say "Initial Characters should be about as powerful as an average citizen", and then they make a mage/warrior capable of flight, with magical equipment, an item box, good fighting skills and 2000k gold. (Starting money was at most 500G btw)

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
I hate it when people read the power level guidelines in a roleplay that say "Initial Characters should be about as powerful as an average citizen", and then they make a mage/warrior capable of flight, with magical equipment, an item box, good fighting skills and 2000k gold. (Starting money was at most 500G btw)
Did they actually do that? We should collectively do something about those guys tbh.

I hate it when I dislike a novel and other people don't dislike it as well (Dungeon Defense is such garbage.)

Nerodith

Sorry for criticizing the story. I honestly like the premise of the story but it all changed when the mid gods got introduced as it seems really forced with how comedic their backgrounds is in comparison to the somewhat serious story(?). Other than that its fine all together as I got my fair share of experiences reading novels with same settings and its just that its your novel that I have recently read that took the brunt of the impact.

............... also

Oh yeah I absolutely agree with you. How can you even romanticize rape? I cant think of anything else other than stockholm syndrome which isnt romantic at all. Girls in those stories would always be like "Oh no, Im so helpless. Gotta close my eyes as he forced himself onto me!" Then be all like lovestruck or comfy afterwards with the criminal. How on earth is that even remotely acceptable?
It's alright ! I'm always opened to criticism ! It's part of writing a story ^^
Though I do think you might have gotten the wrong intial feeling, as it's actually a comedy story with some serious moments, and not the reverse :p

Oooh I really hate it when it happens >< I mean, I can understand that not everyone has the will power to resist on the spur of the moment, but falling in love with your rapist? No, no and no. For real. I don't care "how sexy he is", he's your rapist. The only thing you should be feeling for him is disgust, hatred and fear. Have these girl never heard about PTSD? :blob_facepalm:

Haha, you're talking about the RP? I was tempted to join, but it's true I did find it weird how some people started with more 500G while the rules clearly stated it was the maximum :blob_joy:

AliceShiki

Did they actually do that? We should collectively do something about those guys tbh.

I hate it when I dislike a novel and other people don't dislike it as well (Dungeon Defense is such garbage.)
There is no need to do anything about it (well, save for the rulebreak on money thing, that one we poked them about and it was fixed), those types never last long and quit the game before long.

Oh, and I too totally hate when I hate something and other people love it! I go like... "How can you people not realize that Digimon World 3 is a garbage-tier game!? Stop praising one of the worst installments in the franchise!!! >.<"
Haha, you're talking about the RP? I was tempted to join, but it's true I did find it weird how some people started with more 500G while the rules clearly stated it was the maximum :blob_joy:
It's fun! Do join!!!

And only one person joined with more money than the cap actually, and that was already fixed. If you see anyone else with money above 500G, that's because they earned that money from quests and stuff.

FlutterOfCrows

and what I dislike, is unexplained hatred of certain other characters in a story, especially when a character is just introduced. how does one join the rp?

Last edited:

AliceShiki

and what I dislike, is unexplained hatred of certain other characters in a story, especially when a character is just introduced. how does one join the rp?

Thor

Don't worry. My grudge was not directed towards your story in particular even though it includes a mild form of it too.

I have another one and that one is borderline rage-inducing because it makes absolutely no sense and is contradicting the MC's personality. To convey why I have to outline a bit of the story and the character(s).

About the MC: She has a strong personality and follows through with what she has in mind. I dont mean it as a form of stuborness but more like her opinion on matters isnt easily swayed or just does what everyone wants her to do. Lets just say she is not dumb and is no puppet on strings, normally that is.

A bit of what happens storywise: Starts with an arranged marriage. She arrived at the place where her husband-to-be lives and marriage is planned in a few weeks. Husband-to-be is abusive (not physically). No problem for her, she can live with it to some degree because she has friends in the court and doesnt have to interact as much with him. Her sole responsibility is to produce an heir and she is prepared for that. Well, stuff happend and she flees the castle at day of the marriage with her bodyguard.

That was the first arc wich introduces the MC and important side-characters. Potrays their personalities and how they act. Every event that happend had a logical consequence. I was a happy reader at that time because of it and the lack of plot holes. Even the writing is superb. Overall enjoyable and interesting.

Later in the story she was captured with her bodyguard for a crime that was constructed by a tribal-queen. They were forced to wander around with them and had to do heavy physical labor and got weapon training for some constructed reason until they got ransomed. After a pov change to the tribal-queen the reader got to know that the tribal-queen was acting according to a prohecy/vision of their shaman because they would need the MC in the future to survive certain events.

After some time the queen took the MC and some tribes-men to a coastal city to sell stuff because the vision said so. The bodyguard was left behind with the rest of the tribe because of reasons. (The bodyguard was at no point of the story more than a room/tent away from the MC)
First night in the town the MC got kidnapped by a slave trader captain because she got regocnized as a wanted run-away noble lady. The only condition to get the reward was that her face and womb had to be intact.

Important to notice at that point: The tribal-queen and the MC were not friends. The MC was a prisoner and they were absolutely not on 'good terms'.

To cut the events on the ship short, she made a friend on the ship and had to watch her get raped every night until said friend died after a few month. She was forced to fight other slaves/prisoners as a sport/entertainment for the crew. In the end even she got raped. She was broken and lifeless when she got 'rescued'. Well her rescue involved a mortal wound and she survived because of 'outside' influence and not because of her rescue party.

Now she was back in the care of the queen as a guest and not as a prisoner. There was not much interaction between them. After she overheard a conversation between the shaman and the queen she learned that her 'imprisonment' by the queen happend because of a prohecy. Mental-breakdown followed.

To summarize: Her time with the queen, the slaveship and then again with the queen left her mentally-traumatized, scarred, battlecrazed and with night-terrors and anger-issues.

I dont know if I am allowed to do this but I will copy some part of the chapter here:

Their relationship had always been tainted by deceit, the Queen’s loyalty to her people, and to an unseen balance. Aggie had never felt truly close to her, and yet…
She had been as much a friend as any Aggie had ever had.
Save only for Ines.
(Slave-friend on the ship)

“Thank you. For doing the best you could.” Aggie managed to say, her cheeks burning at the show of humility with an audience. Despite the wording sounding condescending, Aggie had meant it to ease an assumed guilt. She didn’t know if the Queen truly felt guilty for all that had happened to her, but Aggie wondered…

If she herself were the Queen, and someone she were trying to protect had been exposed to horrors despite her best efforts…
She would feel endless guilt.

The look on the her face, made Aggie realize her guess had been accurate. The Queen had not treated what happened to Aggie lightly, but couldn’t let the weight of the folly disrupt her ability to lead.

In the end, Aggie hoped she would see that woman’s face again one day.

As it was, the 2 embraced warmly.

At no point of the whole story I got the feeling that they became friends or even remotely close. The MC was at no point such a forgiving person and carries some grudges even to this day. I got fucking blind-sided by this scene and cant make any sense of it. Is that some kind of stockholm syndrome? I just cant follow the reasoning of the author. Does he want to force a friendship between those two even though it doesnt make sense because of some stupid plot in the future?

Well, as you can see with the amount I wrote about this particular story Im infuriated. It contradicts her potrayed personality and logic the story followed. Everytime I think back to this story I get uneasy.

Last edited:

AliceShiki

Oh, another thing I really hate, is when the author midway through the story decides to change the overall tone, feeling, and maybe even genre of the story.

Screw you, author of Otoburi! Screw you! I signed up to read a fluffy slice of life about an otome game burikko villainess becoming a magic otaku! Not to read a civil war between nobles and the plebeians, the Villainess and the Heroine! >.<

Keep my fluffy slice of life as fluffy slice of life! Let stuff like Gundam have wars instead!

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I'm giving this a like not because I agree but because of how raw, truthful and honest this is.