I Bear a Grudge so Deep and True...

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Oh oh oh, another one that I hate.

I hate when shounen authors decide to end everything in a big war that takes 4 years to get finished and that have basically no plot being developed during the entirety of that arc.

Like, seriously? Do you really think I signed up to read shounen to read your crappy War Arc? Who do you think you are? Someone as good as Eichiro Oda? You think you're capable of making war in shounen be interesting? Tough luck, Kishimoto, your war is garbage and felt like a pure waste of time! Leave wars to Gundam and to actual good authors like Oda!

... *coughs* Anyways, I really hate war arcs in shounen. Naruto, Bleach and Fairy Tail all did this and all 3 had garbage-tier final arcs, even though I really liked the story up until that point. The only good war I saw so far in shounen was in One Piece, and I hope it's the last shounen war I ever see tbh, because the track record of shounen war arcs hasn't been good at all! >.<

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
... *coughs* Anyways, I really hate war arcs in shounen. Naruto, Bleach and Fairy Tail all did this and all 3 had garbage-tier final arcs, even though I really liked the story up until that point. The only good war I saw so far in shounen was in One Piece, and I hope it's the last shounen war I ever see tbh, because the track record of shounen war arcs hasn't been good at all! >.<

Oda doesn't have a good track record with wars either. Don't say the Whitebeard arc, that's not a war in narrative terms. While it's a war in that war was declared, a battle was fought, and a power fell, its just a battle. A large battle, but a battle nonetheless.

Every other "war" he did he either glazed over or its flaws were covered up by the main characters and their adventurers so much that the war might as well have not happened.

AliceShiki

Oda doesn't have a good track record with wars either. Don't say the Whitebeard arc, that's not a war in narrative terms. While it's a war in that war was declared, a battle was fought, and a power fell, its just a battle. A large battle, but a battle nonetheless.

Every other "war" he did he either glazed over or its flaws were covered up by the main characters and their adventurers so much that the war might as well have not happened.
The only war in One Piece IMO is the Whitebeard VS Marine war to rescue Ace. I wouldn't consider anything else a war.

And you're correct in saying it's basically a battle... Which is why it is good! A long and big war with basically every character in the series making an appearance and fighting a nigh-infinite group of enemies does not fit well with Shounen. If any author tries doing that, they'll fail as miserably as Naruto/Bleach/Fairy Tail did.

Oda's war is good because it doesn't feel like a war. If you wanna make a good war that feels like a war, you better make your entire series revolve around the war from the very start... Like Gundam does. Otherwise I have a hard time believing the war will be good.

Did they actually do that? We should collectively do something about those guys tbh.

I hate it when I dislike a novel and other people don't dislike it as well (Dungeon Defense is such garbage.)

it's only good at the first volume to me, after it everything just made no sense.

though i just couldn't give a damn when the story went too serious and unrelatable at all.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
I hate it when I dislike a novel and other people don't dislike it as well (Dungeon Defense is such garbage.)
I laughed coz I like how petty and relatable this is. Yesterday, I wandered into the Spoilers thread in NUF and would randomly read threads that I got curious about. A lot of them have such ridiculous stories that my rage could not settle. How can people continue to read this garbage!?

In the same vein, Spoilers threads help in giving a good heads up about translated novels.

AliceShiki

I laughed coz I like how petty and relatable this is. Yesterday, I wandered into the Spoilers thread in NUF and would randomly read threads that I got curious about. A lot of them have such ridiculous stories that my rage could not settle. How can people continue to read this garbage!?

In the same vein, Spoilers threads help in giving a good heads up about translated novels.
Ooooooooooh, I always wonder about that too!

Like, you know those stories about how authors/translators get discouraged because there is one stupid idiot ranting about the novel every single new chapter that is released?

And like... If you're hating what is being written so much... Why are you still reading it!? >.<

If what you have in front of you is garbage, then stop reading it right now and go do something more productive with your life! >.<

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Ooooooooooh, I always wonder about that too!

Like, you know those stories about how authors/translators get discouraged because there is one stupid idiot ranting about the novel every single new chapter that is released?

And like... If you're hating what is being written so much... Why are you still reading it!? >.<

If what you have in front of you is garbage, then stop reading it right now and go do something more productive with your life! >.<
Exactly! Don't bother leaving such vitriol and just leave. RAWR.

On a different topic? Why is it attractive in Chinese novels to have a character so pale you could see them damn blood vessels. It's a slight irritation of mine and thought to just share it. Is it just me who finds such paleness to be icky and unattractive?

AliceShiki

On a different topic? Why is it attractive in Chinese novels to have a character so pale you could see them damn blood vessels. It's a slight irritation of mine and thought to just share it. Is it just me who finds such paleness to be icky and unattractive?
Wait, authors actively describe them as pale enough to see their blood vessels and they describe that as attractive!? >.<

For me that's a vampire! Not a beauty!!! >.<

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Chinese novels describing a beautiful woman or attractive man like, "beautiful as jade."

????????

Chinese novels describing a beautiful woman or attractive man like, "beautiful as jade."

????????

so they're all orcs in disguise?

the more you know

Wait, authors actively describe them as pale enough to see their blood vessels and they describe that as attractive!? >.<

For me that's a vampire! Not a beauty!!! >.<

there's a reason why vampire romance is so popular in wattpad xD

Kotohood

Noob Author
What a timely post... I'm still shaking in anger after reading a review about my favored novel. The person doesn't like the MC's carefree attitude towards the ML. After reading so many boring/overbearing male leads and ruthless/frozen-face females I finally found my ideal couple who are both chill and sexy only to get it bashed??? I love that novel with all my heart, lungs and liver!!!!

TT^TT
Give a counter review!

AliceShiki

there's a reason why vampire romance is so popular in wattpad xD
Yeah, like the sense of forbidden, or the complications to the relationship that come with the character becoming a vampire, or the fact that they are often not depicted as mega pale, skinny and showing blood vessels! >.<
But instead, they're depicted as super hot and stuff~

another thing i'm peeved about is the excessive MC Worship.

i'm okay if the MC was appreciated with what he's done, but wouldn't you STOP mentioning it over and over in MY FACE that the MC KNOWS IT ALL? and worse of all, they all went 'he is a damn genius, super awesome!101one!one what a FKIN GOD' every time, when the things he did can possibly be thought up with common sense.

even if what he did was amazing, surely they can be less exaggerated, rather than making me cringe.

also, it's like the author purposefully made all the other characters dumb as hell, so our MC with average intelligence can appear like a genius. why couldn't anyone take care of themselves and must be an useless rock without MC's aid?

it just felt so damn empty when it became a one-man-show of the MC, worse still, if he actually wasn't all that interesting, and have no traits that separate him from the rest.

AliceShiki

i'm okay if the MC was appreciated with what he's done, but wouldn't you STOP mentioning it over and over in MY FACE that the MC KNOWS IT ALL? and worse of all, they all went 'he is a damn genius, super awesome!101one!one what a FKIN GOD' every time, when the things he did can possibly be thought up with common sense.

even if what he did was amazing, surely they can be less exaggerated, rather than making me cringe.

also, it's like the author purposefully made all the other characters dumb as hell, so our MC with average intelligence can appear like a genius. why couldn't anyone take care of themselves and must be an useless rock without MC's aid?

it just felt so damn empty when it became a one-man-show of the MC, worse still, if he actually wasn't all that interesting, and have no traits that separate him from the rest.
Oh yeah, that can be annoying~

I remember one novel that somehow did this well though. It was a reincarnation novel that the MC became a girl in a fantasy world and stuff... Usual stuff, really.

And her village totally had really terrible and inefficient methods of making aggriculture and stuff, so she used modern knowledge to fix it in like... Really really simple ways that were very well know in medieval times. So it feels really annoying when everyone praises her for it at first.

Until a few chapters later you find out that nobody knew how to make a proper aggriculture because none of them did farming before. They were allocated to that village a few years ago and didn't have a clue about what they were doing, and the only reason they didn't starve to death was because the capital sent mages to travel through villages from time to time to forcefully create a good harvest in fields that were unable to make a good one... And well, because they could count on the mages to save them, they never had any need to try improving their methods.

It was a pretty nice twist on the "let's make the MC being praised for doing something really normal", because for the people there, what she did was genuinely amazing~

Oh yeah, that can be annoying~

I remember one novel that somehow did this well though. It was a reincarnation novel that the MC became a girl in a fantasy world and stuff... Usual stuff, really.

And her village totally had really terrible and inefficient methods of making aggriculture and stuff, so she used modern knowledge to fix it in like... Really really simple ways that were very well know in medieval times. So it feels really annoying when everyone praises her for it at first.

Until a few chapters later you find out that nobody knew how to make a proper aggriculture because none of them did farming before. They were allocated to that village a few years ago and didn't have a clue about what they were doing, and the only reason they didn't starve to death was because the capital sent mages to travel through villages from time to time to forcefully create a good harvest in fields that were unable to make a good one... And well, because they could count on the mages to save them, they never had any need to try improving their methods.

It was a pretty nice twist on the "let's make the MC being praised for doing something really normal", because for the people there, what she did was genuinely amazing~

yeah, at least given the context, it makes sense why the other characters appear incompetent and how MC's aid will make them thankful as heck. while it's not my cup of tea, i say it's well done :D

but it's just annoying when every grandmasters that appear look like an idiot compared to the MC, like *cough* Library of Heaven's Path *cough*

well at least it's an absurd comedy story. if all these plotholes and inconsistencies got over your head, and you want to enjoy some stupid joke, the novel's not that terrible, but i don't want to read any more chapters either.

AliceShiki

yeah, at least given the context, it makes sense why the other characters appear incompetent and how MC's aid will make them thankful as heck. while it's not my cup of tea, i say it's well done :D

but it's just annoying when every grandmasters that appear look like an idiot compared to the MC, like *cough* Library of Heaven's Path *cough*

well at least it's an absurd comedy story. if all these plotholes and inconsistencies got over your head, and you want to enjoy some stupid joke, the novel's not that terrible, but i don't want to read any more chapters either.
*nod nod nod* When it's like that, it breaks the immersion and makes me want to drop the story... >.>

Thor

Something I dislike too. Especially if what the MC did was only slightly above average and the author tries to sell it as something amazing. I start to really hate it if it leads to girls instantly falling in love for reasons not comprehensible to the reader. At that point I have the feeling that those authors dont have any idea how to write romantic devolpments but still want to have them in their storys.

Something I dislike too. Especially if what the MC did was only slightly above average and the author tries to sell it as something amazing. I start to really hate it if it leads to girls instantly falling in love for reasons not comprehensible for the reader. At that point I have the feeling that those authors dont have any idea how to write romantic devolpments but still want to have them in their storys.

yeah, it just makes me want to skip or drop the story when they start to focus too much on the romance, even worse, when it's just plain bad.

like maou sama builds a city, it used to be good, but i stopped reading the moment the author focus too much on the harem and the lolis calling the MC daddy.

overgeared has pretty good story, but the romance aspect is just cringe. grid is such a dense beta that let girls dominate him all over without able to say anything. at least when it comes to IRL girls.

and i don't start reading the story 'cuz of the romance.