I can’t write my story anymore.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Shocker? No. This is normal. The reason as to why I want to drop my story is because it’s no longer fun. It’s filled with holes that I tried refilling by rewriting, but now it’s boring to write. I’m planning on probably stop posting, either for a long time or forever. I’ll be writing something else instead. Is that selfish?

I just don’t like the first perspective I chose, since it’s not even my strong suit… not to mention the one dimensional characters. I already have a good idea with my new novel. It’ll be arc and simple so I won‘t need to plan ahead much. Should I drop it? Or does that mean I won’t ever finish a single novel in my life?

EternalSunset0

Is that selfish?
Nope. You owe nobody. If it's no longer fun, then drop it. Although I would personally just try to do what canceled manga do and at least rush to wrap up some key plot points so that you don't keep your audience hanging too much.

Besides, you're doing this just for fun, right? If so, there's nothing stopping you from dropping it, and if you're worried about never finishing a single novel, then that's for you to answer. Only you know yourself best and how you can motivate yourself to finish a novel next time. Maybe write a shorter story? Plan everything out beforehand so you don't plothole yourself into demotivation like now? Only you can answer that.

Either way, I wish you luck on your next novel if you do decide to drop this one.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Nope. You owe nobody. If it's no longer fun, then drop it. Although I would personally just try to do what canceled manga do and at least rush to wrap up some key plot points so that you don't keep your audience hanging too much.

Besides, you're doing this just for fun, right? If so, there's nothing stopping you from dropping it, and if you're worried about never finishing a single novel, then that's for you to answer. Only you know yourself best and how you can motivate yourself to finish a novel next time. Maybe write a shorter story? Plan everything out beforehand so you don't plothole yourself into demotivation like now? Only you can answer that.

Either way, I wish you luck on your next novel if you do decide to drop this one.
Thanks. My story is too short for me to wrap it up haha

JMMatheis

Sometimes you need to try something out, if it doesn't work, it doesn't. You learned something from it.

If you already have a better idea, with plot and characters. Go for it!

Try doing some shorter stories around a common theme. Or shorter stories that build up your understanding of your characters or setting to flesh them out better. I find it is a good way to develop an interesting plot if you understand your characters and their motivations better.

I lost myself and wrote a 140,000 word piece based around the history and motivations of my characters. (it was meant to be a quick 5000 words, I don't know how that happened... even now.)

Now I am back onto my original plot that I wanted to follow, everything is just falling into place because I understand how my characters will act.

If it is not working for you, drop it. Move on. If your readers are curious, just write up a basic outline of what your original intent was, like a synopsis.

Do what you feel you need to do and good luck with your next novel, you will get there!

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
I lost myself and wrote a 140,000 word piece based around the history and motivations of my characters. (it was meant to be a quick 5000 words, I don't know how that happened... even now.)
That's insane! That piece can be a novel by itself lol. I should start writing more about the backstory of my characters too despite the fact that it won't show up, sounds fun.

BlackKnightX

I get what you mean. Maybe, try writing multiple stories at the same time. It will keep you out of boredom.

JMMatheis

That's insane! That piece can be a novel by itself lol. I should start writing more about the backstory of my characters too despite the fact that it won't show up, sounds fun.
I just need to write two chapters into the start, and a few more to finish it off and it would be a story in itself. There is one problem, it gives too much away! It underpins and drives the secondary plot line that is referred to in my main story that threads across a planned 3 to 6 books.

The good part about writing the backstories is that it leads to developing histories which leads to more stories and threads you can develop later on. Especially if you like to write in a set universe, using familiar characters. In the process you uncover whole plot lines or mutual understandings, or even shared histories between characters that you can build on or use to flavour the arc of your main piece.

Later on you can bring those short stories together as something to throw at your readers if they want to know more, once your main is finished. :s_wink:

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
:blob_melt: As I always say, write what you like, never what you don't. If you do, then it becomes a slug! Like a real slug! So think of a story you would like to write and, well, fuck everyone else? They don't pay you. You aren't under any contracts. This is for fun! And for fun is the right way to go!:blob_happy:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Carlo.jpg

Kitsura

It's better than me, 170~ chapters in and over 170k words written and I'm confronting the fact that I'm getting bored of my own story. It's doomed for me.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
Thanks. I’m thinking about maybe just finishing it after all
Hmm. I spent several years just writing out random plots and scenes that I thought of. Any one of them could have been a book, but in the end none of them were. It took me a long time to find a few stories I really wanted to share.

Just forcing yourself to write something might be good for your experience as a writer, but maybe leave it in your notes without publishing it. And if something honestly bores you, you can just ignore it, since nobody but you will know. Who knows, maybe you'll accidentally complete the story and then publish it.