I can predict whether your story will become popular or not

Hathnuz

So...where do you think i should post it?
I honestly don't know. Because the premise is too flawed to begin with, I don't think you'll find success anywhere with that story. I will be more than glad to be proven wrong, though.

Kinnikuniverse

Yeah, you're right. I knew it was foolish to pursue an impossible dream. Might as well accept my fate and live as an average joe for the rest of my life...

D

Deleted member 45782

Yeah, you're right. I knew it was foolish to pursue an impossible dream. Might as well accept my fate and live as an average joe for the rest of my life...
You should keep trying and don't give up. Writer's are not born with a pen in their hand. They got crayons then pencils then moving into fancy pens ..

megu3

I would like to ask for your opinion, but I haven’t written any chapters yet since it’s only a concept that I’m not sure will ever be brought to life, so I hope for a limited assessment if possible.

The story itself is set in modern Japan. The protagonist is a high school girl who’s secretly a magical girl after hours. But here’s a little twist: she’s not an ordinary magical girl in fluffy pink clothes who saves everyone from trouble, no. She’s actually mischievous and cynical, and uses those powers only for her own entertainment.

The school she goes to is a prestigious academy for girls, and naturally she’s a quite popular figure in her class, but that’s only a front. She actually lives in an abandoned building because… she doesn’t have any better place to go. She doesn’t have parents obviously.

As for why or how those powers exist and work, or why she doesn’t live in a dorm instead, that’s not important since the story is meant to be a parody with slightly serious arcs every now and then.

In the first few chapters, she comes across two another magical girls and makes them her comrades, of course after fierce fights. One is a girl that wears a mecha suit (human-sized), but the protagonist manages to destroy that suit. It turns out that she’s a frail little girl that believes to be the antichrist (basically a chuunibyou) and intends to destroy the world. They pair up since their plans somewhat match, but their mission for now is to somehow repair that suit.

The other girl looks more like a magical girl because her outfit is fluffy and pink, but don’t let her looks deceive you. She appears to be quite sadistic and tough, she even manages to knock the other girls unconscious. She has big titties for the sake of fanservice (the others are flat, by the way. I wonder if there is any point to that in a novel that has no illustrations). Upon being tamed, she’s surprisingly down to earth, and it turns out that she’s actually a forlorn gamer. She has wings that not only allow her to fly, but they can also create a space the size of an average apartment where she often shuts herself in. It becomes the team’s headquarters.

Their goal is to destroy the world.

All relevant characters are female, and there will be girls’ love.

Some tags I picked that could describe the story: All-Girls School (but that’s only a subplot), Chuunibyou, Delusions, Evil Protagonist, Magical Girls, Modern Fantasy, Multiple Identities, Mysterious Past, Sadistic Characters.

D

Deleted member 53101

Don't stop trying!
You probably heard this a lot but I'll say it. You're failed if you stop trying. 'Try' ..., it is normal to fail in your trial. Not everyone could instantly get famous and become a best-selling author in one go.
If you're still young and have too much time to spare, then don't feel afraid to try. After all, you don't have that much responsibility to take care of.

It might be not my place to say this because I'm also an amateur when it comes to writing, I even put a reply on this thread. However, I try to never give up on trying, learning something new, and experimenting with anything different.

And I believe in the idea that there's a predetermined and post-determined fate. The predetermined is something that can't be changed regardless of the means, while the post-determined is something that can be changed or worked later on. The predetermined one for e.g. I was born in Indonesia as a Javanese, I'm a male. That is not something I can't change, no one here could choose whose womb they will get born to or what sexes they will have.

Being bad at writing is not something you can't change. It's something that you could improve as long as you keep working on it.
Oh, why this has become some sort of motivational bullshit all of a sudden?

She actually lives in an abandoned building because… she doesn’t have any better place to go. She doesn’t have parents obviously.
This has quite the problem nowadays in RL Japan, isn't it? I just recently know that there's a lot of homeless in the crowd and bustling Tokyo. And the runaway girls like those in I Shaved and Picked up a Highschool Girl.
But wait, if she's cynical with a superpower? Why she didn't rob a bank or something ... after that, with that money rent an apartment? If her age becomes a problem, why doesn't she blackmail some random adult to be her guardian or something. What's make her stay in an abandoned building like some homeless JK? She's got the superpower, hell yo? If it's just like what you posted, that she uses her power for her entertainment, why not make her into a villain? Is it just for a front to make everyone think she's the honorary student portrayed in the painting yamato nadeshiko? Why did she do that? Ah shit, my mind is filled with only dark thoughts.

Hathnuz

I would like to ask for your opinion, but I haven’t written any chapters yet since it’s only a concept that I’m not sure will ever be brought to life, so I hope for a limited assessment if possible.

The story itself is set in modern Japan. The protagonist is a high school girl who’s secretly a magical girl after hours. But here’s a little twist: she’s not an ordinary magical girl in fluffy pink clothes who saves everyone from trouble, no. She’s actually mischievous and cynical, and uses those powers only for her own entertainment.

The school she goes to is a prestigious academy for girls, and naturally she’s a quite popular figure in her class, but that’s only a front. She actually lives in an abandoned building because… she doesn’t have any better place to go. She doesn’t have parents obviously.

As for why or how those powers exist and work, or why she doesn’t live in a dorm instead, that’s not important since the story is meant to be a parody with slightly serious arcs every now and then.

In the first few chapters, she comes across two another magical girls and makes them her comrades, of course after fierce fights. One is a girl that wears a mecha suit (human-sized), but the protagonist manages to destroy that suit. It turns out that she’s a frail little girl that believes to be the antichrist (basically a chuunibyou) and intends to destroy the world. They pair up since their plans somewhat match, but their mission for now is to somehow repair that suit.

The other girl looks more like a magical girl because her outfit is fluffy and pink, but don’t let her looks deceive you. She appears to be quite sadistic and tough, she even manages to knock the other girls unconscious. She has big titties for the sake of fanservice (the others are flat, by the way. I wonder if there is any point to that in a novel that has no illustrations). Upon being tamed, she’s surprisingly down to earth, and it turns out that she’s actually a forlorn gamer. She has wings that not only allow her to fly, but they can also create a space the size of an average apartment where she often shuts herself in. It becomes the team’s headquarters.

Their goal is to destroy the world.

All relevant characters are female, and there will be girls’ love.

Some tags I picked that could describe the story: All-Girls School (but that’s only a subplot), Chuunibyou, Delusions, Evil Protagonist, Magical Girls, Modern Fantasy, Multiple Identities, Mysterious Past, Sadistic Characters.
It's mostly a no from me. My answer for your story is similar to Agentt's.

Although the premise is unique and clear, magical girls trope isn't popular anymore. Your only hope for readers is from girls' love. I'd estimate you'll get 200-300 readers at best, maybe more if you add gender-bender into the mix.

Last edited:

wildan1197_

I've been doing this for almost seven years. You can imagine for yourself what I've been through all this time.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
You should give up already if you're relying on feedback from a non-standard critic with a single-digit experience that considerably relies upon no acute observation and has the gal to say that GENRE's and TAG's doesn't imply an immediate hit yet hoped that the story will flourish just because it had GL genre. 6 years? 1045 readers for an account that started in 2019? Yeah, because it's not like he was the only one writing his story, he has a fucking editor too - editing 500 words for every chapters - meaning, he is probably no better than you. AND YOU DON'T HAVE AN EDITOR.

The estimated readers aren't based upon GENRE's, TAG's, STORY QUALITY, but the time spent upon it and the many chapters it had. I've seen most with a garbage final product that has 1,000 readers yet has flawed synopsis, illogical plots, and dull writing... JUST because it had 50 chapters in it. MAYBE BECAUSE THEY ACTUALLY PUT THEIR WHOLE SOUL INTO IT EVEN THOUGH IT SUCKS! To begin with, you shouldn't be relying on imprecision, and start actively working on getting a lot of feedback as possible than to be rejected without having every single detail said that you should be working upon, you woke. OR JUST DON'T ASK FOR FEEDBACKS OR FORTUNE TELLS WHEN YOU KNOW YOU WOULD CRY AND GIVE UP AFTER KNOWING THE ANSWER!

I've written a lot of novels in different accounts that went on a hit and devoted most of my years to writing... so should you too. It is far too early to be guided by some well-spring author that has worked upon one novel. START OVER AGAIN AND WRITE! OR GET A LIFE! STOP GETTING DISCOURAGED BY SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOUR WRITING, YOUR LIFE, AND YOUR DREAMS.

fukko

Last edited:

Hathnuz

You should give up already if you're relying on feedback from a non-standard critic with a single-digit experience that considerably relies upon no acute observation and has the gal to say that GENRE's and TAG's doesn't imply an immediate hit yet hoped that the story will flourish just because it had GL genre.
I don't see how I contradict myself here? Even if the story has every popular stuff in it but very cliche and generic, it won't be successful at all. On the other hand, if the story has only one popular thing but the premise is unique and easy to digest, it'll have a high chance to become successful.
The estimated readers aren't based upon GENRE's, TAG's, STORY QUALITY, but the time spent upon it and the many chapters it had. I've seen most with a garbage final product that has 1,000 readers yet has flawed synopsis, illogical plots, and dull writing... JUST because it had 50 chapters in it. MAYBE BECAUSE THEY ACTUALLY PUT THEIR WHOLE SOUL INTO IT EVEN THOUGH IT SUCKS! To begin with, you shouldn't be relying on imprecision, and start actively working on getting a lot of feedback as possible than to be rejected without having every single detail said that you should be working upon, you woke. OR JUST DON'T ASK FOR FEEDBACKS OR FORTUNE TELLS WHEN YOU KNOW YOU WOULD CRY AND GIVE UP AFTER KNOWING THE ANSWER!
Yes, the chapter count might affect the number of readers, but it's more of exponential thingy and depended on the premise itself. That's why I didn't take that to account.
I've written a lot of novels in different accounts that went on a hit and devoted most of my years to writing... so should you too. It is far too early to be guided by some well-spring author that has worked upon one novel. START OVER AGAIN AND WRITE! OR GET A LIFE! STOP GETTING DISCOURAGED BY SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOUR WRITING, YOUR LIFE, AND YOUR DREAMS.
Yep, I didn't mean to discourage him -- I never even said that his writing is bad or he should give up writing (it's really good actually). But then again, if he gets discouraged by a simple criticism, it'll be hard for him to thrive as a writer.

Also, please don't paint me as a villain or something like that. Have you seen people complaining about their story not getting enough attention? I created this thread because I sympathize with them. I just don't want more authors blame the readers for not reading their story even though it's their fault to begin with.

Motsu

I don't see how I contradict myself here? Even if the story has every popular stuff in it but very cliche and generic, it won't be successful at all.
You created a contradiction by simply saying that cliche and generic implies an unsuccessful novel. It doesn't mean that a story that is cliche and generic implicit won't become successful, furthermore, I think it actually stands reason to say this is true because of what you said 'Also, just because the story have the right genres and tags, doesn't mean it'll become a hit...'

You don't have the right to say what will become successful and unsuccessful when you think that having the right genre and tag wouldn't mean success. I LITERALLY SEE CLICHE AND GENERIC SHIT EVERYWHERE AND THEY ARE POPULAR AF.

On the other hand, if the story has only one popular thing but the premise is unique and easy to digest, it'll become successful.
Is that really true to everyone though? Is just a premise - oh unique and easy to digest - a clear way to become successful? As I said, even a garbage premise can work its way through the top with a little workaround. I don't see your opinion being anything useful to becoming successful because I've seen plenty of good premises that were trashed around because THE PREMISE WAS THE ONLY THING THAT WAS GOOD.

Or if they started with a shit premise and then edited it after their novel got famous, then yeah, it really 'looks' like it.

Yep, I didn't mean to discourage him -- I never even said that his writing is bad or he should give up writing (it's really good actually). But then again, if he gets discouraged by a simple criticism, it'll be hard for him to thrive as a writer.
Yeah. I hate writers who get discouraged by their own actions - it is them whose fault lies, and not the world.

Also, please don't paint me as a villain or something like that.
Did I ever imply that you were the villain or the sort? I was only offering blunt advice to the person, or maybe you should've comforted him because this place was created for sympathy, right?!

Have you seen people complaining about their story not getting enough attention?
Every single damn time!

I created this thread because I sympathize with them. I just don't want more authors blame the readers for not reading their story even though it's their fault to begin with.
Then don't make this a criticism-based thread. Sympathizing and giving criticisms and rejections are different. Is everyone so pitiful, you had to make feedbacks for them - making them sound like some loser because they got rejected? What about giving them a single light of hope they can hold unto? Isn't that what sympathizing is for? To comfort and understand, not to say 'no' every time you see bad shit.

Hathnuz

You know, I hate to argue on the internet just because I find it pointless, so this will be my last reply to you to clarify things.
You created a contradiction by simply saying that cliche and generic implies an unsuccessful novel. It doesn't mean that a story that is cliche and generic implicit won't become successful, furthermore, I think it actually stands reason to say this is true because of what you said 'Also, just because the story have the right genres and tags, doesn't mean it'll become a hit...'

You don't have the right to say what will become successful and unsuccessful when you think that having the right genre and tag wouldn't mean success. I LITERALLY SEE CLICHE AND GENERIC SHIT EVERYWHERE AND THEY ARE POPULAR AF.
What I meant by generic and cliche is that they don't bring something new to the table. Every successful story has at least their own twist of the popular tropes whether be good or bad... or maybe they popularized the trope itself which is rare. The tropes might be overused, however that doesn't mean it'll become automatically generic. It looks like an oxymoron, but I assure you it's not.
Is that really true to everyone though? Is just a premise - oh unique and easy to digest - a clear way to become successful? As I said, even a garbage premise can work its way through the top with a little workaround. I don't see your opinion being anything useful to becoming successful because I've seen plenty of good premises that were trashed around because THE PREMISE WAS THE ONLY THING THAT WAS GOOD.

Or if they started with a shit premise and then edited it after their novel got famous, then yeah, it really 'looks' like it.
Good or bad is irrelevant. That's why a bad story can become popular just because of the premise alone, for example: Redo Healer. On the other hand, stories with niche and plain premise will struggle to reach success -- not impossible, though. There are more factors involved, of course; but, I think it's one of the most important ingredient.
Yeah. I hate writers who get discouraged by their own actions - it is them whose fault lies, and not the world.
Glad we agreed on this.
Then don't make this a criticism-based thread. Sympathizing and giving criticisms and rejections are different. Is everyone so pitiful, you had to make feedbacks for them - making them sound like some loser because they got rejected? What about giving them a single light of hope they can hold unto? Isn't that what sympathizing is for? To comfort and understand, not to say 'no' every time you see bad shit.
Sorry if I sounded condescending to you, but I don't have any intention to bring people down nor find them pitiful. I never gloated or compared their stories to mine or others. I'd be even happy if they manage to surpass my expectation and become more successful than me. I just want to guide them to success and this is what I meant by sympathize with them. They're also very much welcome to disagree with my feedback if they don't agree with it as it's no more than an opinion, like yourself included.

I agree with you to not answer with yes or no since it's more complicated than that. I was just inspired by TheTrinary's way of giving feedback but yeah, it might not apply to this kind of thread.

Last edited:

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Hmmm, I don't know.

What about.

A boy who repeatedly seeing a dream about a certain girl trying to Jump out from rooftop in what seems to be suicide attempt.

The dream always end right before or when girl jump.

One day the boy meet the girl by chance on the street and the girl was actually new transfer student one grade above him.

And then he will try to get along with the girl to find out any reason that could possibly lead her to suicide.

And spoiler, nothing will really happened.
Because the suicide was already happened.

She is suicide survivor and regret her actions, thus leading her to start a new life.

In the new school.

And what about that dream? Well It's just a dream. Nothing but coincidence. He probably just writing too much novels.

The boy want to be a novelist.
I'm reading a guide to write stories. Here's what I'd do if I understood correctly:

Your description is vague. It seems you want to share something deep about: suicide, regrets, dreams maybe romance. But those elements are disconnected.

If you continue writing, you'll shape your story into something that can articulate those ideas.

You should try to write it for yourself. Just write the events and the general contents of dialogues. Do minimal descriptions about the setting and background.

Think about the set pieces. Those are the coolest climax scenes of the story.

Climaxes I can imagine, the MC wins a writing online competition.
The girls is getting bullied but the MC comes to the rescue.
The MC is getting demolished in a IRL litterature competition and get depressed.
The MC family is having problem.
The girl's suicide motives are exposed. The mc is inspired to write about her story.
The mc finally becomes girl's bf.
His work is ruined by bullies and his grades are rock bottom. He feels he has no future and about to commit suicide.
He gets over it with the power of drugs and hookers(?) I dunno.

As you read the string of climaxes you came up, you'll get an expression of what's in your mind deep inside.

You pick something out of these like:
"having dreams let you achieve great things"
"Having dreams sets irrealistic expectations"
"Life is suffering, holding a dream is only making it more painful"
My joke ending "life is redeemed by hedonism kek"

Pick one of them and hone it. You can remove the events and scenes that were excess. And then squeeze in new events that are thesis and other antithesis of what you chose.

For my joke ending it's really easy to find people destroyed by drugs lol.

Just find what's deep in your mind and hone it. It's hard to do that without writing.

Once you start having something cool. You can tease one of your climaxes in your prologue to reel readers in (maybe)

TunTun

You should give up already if you're relying on feedback from a non-standard critic with a single-digit experience that considerably relies upon no acute observation and has the gal to say that GENRE's and TAG's doesn't imply an immediate hit yet hoped that the story will flourish just because it had GL genre. 6 years? 1045 readers for an account that started in 2019? Yeah, because it's not like he was the only one writing his story, he has a fucking editor too - editing 500 words for every chapters - meaning, he is probably no better than you. AND YOU DON'T HAVE AN EDITOR.

fukko
I disagree with you. I agree with the OP on this one. You can pretty much tell the popularity of a story by looking at the tags and synopsis.
But just before you accuse me of being a one-novel author, :blob_hide:

I shall inform you that at this point, no story of mine has less than 400 readers by chapter 10, unless I wanted to. :blob_reach:

Last edited:

Motsu

I disagree with you. I agree with the OP on this one. You can pretty much tell the popularity of a story by looking at the tags and synopsis.
While this might be true, I never rejected this in the first place. BL, GL, GENDER BENDER, SMUT, and ISEKAI - once you see them you'll probably understand the change of its interest, but then again - it was also because they had an active status on posting chapters. If you don't post chapters, you don't gain anything - that's how it works here.

I could say confidently that I can gain 1,000 views and 200 readers by 5 chapters but that's a pretty egotistical way of thinking... I'd probably say that the normalcy rate for me would be 10 chapters for 1k views and 200 readers, and then 20 chapters for 3,000 views and 500 readers. Then again, I do write in different accounts so the rates are pretty dependent on my exposure as a writer.

But just before you accuse me of being a one-novel author, :blob_hide:
I don't claim something that is false, so don't say 'accuse' because you're treating me the wrong way. I merely say facts.

I shall inform you that at this point, no story of mine has less than 400 readers by chapter 10, unless I wanted to. :blob_reach:
Your nephew probably cares but I don't.

Ace_Raven

I'm reading a guide to write stories. Here's what I'd do if I understood correctly:

Your description is vague. It seems you want to share something deep about: suicide, regrets, dreams maybe romance. But those elements are disconnected.

If you continue writing, you'll shape your story into something that can articulate those ideas.

You should try to write it for yourself. Just write the events and the general contents of dialogues. Do minimal descriptions about the setting and background.

Think about the set pieces. Those are the coolest climax scenes of the story.

Climaxes I can imagine, the MC wins a writing online competition.
The girls is getting bullied but the MC comes to the rescue.
The MC is getting demolished in a IRL litterature competition and get depressed.
The MC family is having problem.
The girl's suicide motives are exposed. The mc is inspired to write about her story.
The mc finally becomes girl's bf.
His work is ruined by bullies and his grades are rock bottom. He feels he has no future and about to commit suicide.
He gets over it with the power of drugs and hookers(?) I dunno.

As you read the string of climaxes you came up, you'll get an expression of what's in your mind deep inside.

You pick something out of these like:
"having dreams let you achieve great things"
"Having dreams sets irrealistic expectations"
"Life is suffering, holding a dream is only making it more painful"
My joke ending "life is redeemed by hedonism kek"

Pick one of them and hone it. You can remove the events and scenes that were excess. And then squeeze in new events that are thesis and other antithesis of what you chose.

For my joke ending it's really easy to find people destroyed by drugs lol.

Just find what's deep in your mind and hone it. It's hard to do that without writing.

Once you start having something cool. You can tease one of your climaxes in your prologue to reel readers in (maybe)
Nah, i don't think i like the drug and hooker. Because i don't know one bit about drug (it's hard to access you know?)

This story was inspired by quote from real suicide survivor something " when i jump, i realized i don't want to die. I just want all my problem to be over. And when i think about it clearly most of my problem could be solved. I'm glad i survived that jump."

And about the story, yes, it is a romance. In fact the boy see that dream often enough for him to be attached to her.

So, his motivation all along for why he chase after her upon their meeting in real life was not because that dream. It's her. From the start he already fall for her. (But this wont be mentioned until at least the mid of the story.)

Well, but your suggestions is also good. I'm considering writing this story. Yet, for now i'm still busy with other project.

Still tho, thanks for your time and opinions.

Candy_Man

This is an interesting thread, though I don't care about popularity that much compared to what I want to do, but let's give this a shot.

A quick summary: Isekai to magic world but protag rejects magic. It's aimed to be a light-hearted comedy that'll eventually focus more on action. Mystery surrounds why protag hates magic.

TunTun

While this might be true, I never rejected this in the first place. BL, GL, GENDER BENDER, SMUT, and ISEKAI - once you see them you'll probably understand the change of its interest, but then again - it was also because they had an active status on posting chapters. If you don't post chapters, you don't gain anything - that's how it works here.

I could say confidently that I can gain 1,000 views and 200 readers by 5 chapters but that's a pretty egotistical way of thinking... I'd probably say that the normalcy rate for me would be 10 chapters for 1k views and 200 readers, and then 20 chapters for 3,000 views and 500 readers. Then again, I do write in different accounts so the rates are pretty dependent on my exposure as a writer.

I don't claim something that is false, so don't say 'accuse' because you're treating me the wrong way. I merely say facts.

Your nephew probably cares but I don't.
Do reveal one of your popular accounts. Mine is Vicky.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Nah, i don't think i like the drug and hooker. Because i don't know one bit about drug (it's hard to access you know?)

This story was inspired by quote from real suicide survivor something " when i jump, i realized i don't want to die. I just want all my problem to be over. And when i think about it clearly most of my problem could be solved. I'm glad i survived that jump."

And about the story, yes, it is a romance. In fact the boy see that dream often enough for him to be attached to her.

So, his motivation all along for why he chase after her upon their meeting in real life was not because that dream. It's her. From the start he already fall for her. (But this wont be mentioned until at least the mid of the story.)

Well, but your suggestions is also good. I'm considering writing this story. Yet, for now i'm still busy with other project.

Still tho, thanks for your time and opinions.
Gosh I'm relieved that drugs and hookers are not your answers LOL. They were just examples from me for how to find your theme and connect everything with thesis and antithesis.

I feel like my advice was misunderstood, so I'll just peace out.

Ace_Raven

Gosh I'm relieved that drugs and hookers are not your answers LOL. They were just examples from me for how to find your theme and connect everything with thesis and antithesis.

I feel like my advice was misunderstood, so I'll just peace out.
Lmao, no it's fine. I know that 'drug and hookers' is reference from the wolf of wall street.

Funnily enough, i just watched that movie few days ago.

Motsu

Do reveal one of your popular accounts. Mine is Vicky.
AmericanWeeb - one of my many accounts. I usually test underused genres in different accounts so the fluctuations of popularity have a dense variety of sink or swim. Yours are filled with Gender Bender, Girls Love, Harem, and Isekai... which is yeah, forget we ever had this conversation.

Last edited: