I can predict whether your story will become popular or not

EternalSunset0

Do reveal one of your popular accounts. Mine is Vicky.
AmericanWeeb - one of my many accounts. I usually test underused genres in different accounts so the fluctuations of popularity have a dense variety of sink or swim. Yours are filled with Gender Bender, Girls Love, Harem, and Isekai... which is yeah, forget we ever had this conversation.

Makes me wonder how many people have alts and how many of them are there lol

I also know someone else with multiple alts.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
Makes me wonder how many people have alts and how many of them are there lol

I also know someone else with multiple alts.
It's like using a condom on top of a condom... but having too many alternative accounts is the very flaw of this site. Oh, boy, let me just wash the dishes for now.

Hathnuz

This is an interesting thread, though I don't care about popularity that much compared to what I want to do, but let's give this a shot.

A quick summary: Isekai to magic world but protag rejects magic. It's aimed to be a light-hearted comedy that'll eventually focus more on action. Mystery surrounds why protag hates magic.
Good twist on a popular premise; however, that alone isn't enough. It's still rather plain imo.
You'll have decent amount of readers, but low chance to become popular.

Candy_Man

Good twist on a popular premise; however, that alone isn't enough. It's still rather plain imo.
You'll have decent amount of readers, but low chance to become popular.
That's cool. Thanks for your review, this makes me motivated to write more so that I can prove you wrong. :)

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
:blob_popcorn:

I'm just reading all of this and I'm like, you know, 10 months ago I was a complete nobody who decided to post a completely random novel that suddenly dawned on me during an exam, with a completely controversial title, shit tier cover (it was just black book with a house, you can see it in my glossary), cringy-ass synopsis, which in combination with tags should have been bound to be a complete disaster with hate flowing from all the sides, especially since the first 13 chapters had literally nothing to do with sex, which was the main thing people would expect, being instead a truckload of world exposition and building, and here I am recently hitting 2k readers and still having as much fun from writing it as I did during the initial idea creation. Yeah, the messages about the story being a fucking bait still flow in, and low ratings from these people too, but man who the fuck cares.

Writing is all a huge gamble. You can follow the trends, but you can't predict how things will go, or else we would be having way more insane stories written by everyone. No matter the combinations of tools you utilize, nothing is certain. But even so, things like consistency and dedication may hold actual results as long as you don't get discouraged. They may very well not.

I guess I wanted to write something meaningful but it didn't really work as now that I'm rereading it, it seems like a flex. Anyway, do or do not, there's no maybe.

@Edit
Oh, I didn't even know that if you double post it automerges your messages. Neat.

Last edited:

morhamza

Uhm... I got a pass mark from TheTrinary-nim, but I want to get as many opinions as possible.

My story is about an immortal, that's basically it. Currently, I'm trying to stay away from making it a bland slice of life story, but it will become one. The big theme will be loss.

The tags are action, adventure, fantasy, there are gods, demons, bloodlines, blood manipulation. I added the mature tag recently cause I can get gory with my descriptions.

Here's the link to the story. You don't have to read it all, I've written just over 11k words. If you can read enough to know if it's a story that can make it here, I would appreciate that. Thank you!

D

Deleted member 45782

just curious, is this to see if a story can become success based on how good the story is?
or is it based on if story is success based on trends that are specifically on scribblehub?

Reactions: CL

MoodyFoxCat

Give me your story's premise, tags, and first chapter's link and I will give you my feedback and prediction per title above. By popular, I mean reaching 800+ readers on this site (or other places too, if you want). However, don't expect any very detailed opinion because I'm not really much of a critic -- you can check TheTrinary's thread for that. Works best if you haven't written many words or posted on anywhere yet.

Note: Not guaranteed 100% accurate prediction (I'm not a psychic lol). My feedback is derived from my observation and experience as an author for around six years. Also, just because the story have the right genres and tags, doesn't mean it'll become a hit. There are more nuances than that.

Hello, I am already a couple of chapters done with seven uploaded for reading. I don't really want to depend on the number of views because I rather would like to see activity between myself and the readers, however, they are the silent type. I'm not one for assuming people dislike it right away as it did get quite some attention before but I also cannot blame them if they just have different tastes as well.

Mine has a prologue (because I felt it was appropriate in the story and it did come to me along with the writing)

Prologue here: Prologue

But if you are going to skip that and jump straight into the first chapter, absolutely OK with me.

The premise is simply this,
Three factions occupy most parts of what is known and marked on their maps of the great continent on which they thrive on. However, a war unimaginable was brought out of the unexpected from the south. Several years later after that, the story begins. Not by someone of particular status but rather in the eyes of one ordinary person, who cannot change the course of history alone. There are more surprises along the way but I must not spoil more, they are introduced later on anyways.

Tags are...
AkpJHXHby3.png

Here: First chapter of my first story

I do apologize in advance should it make you spend more time than you should've.

Hathnuz

Uhm... I got a pass mark from TheTrinary-nim, but I want to get as many opinions as possible.

My story is about an immortal, that's basically it. Currently, I'm trying to stay away from making it a bland slice of life story, but it will become one. The big theme will be loss.

The tags are action, adventure, fantasy, there are gods, demons, bloodlines, blood manipulation. I added the mature tag recently cause I can get gory with my descriptions.

Here's the link to the story. You don't have to read it all, I've written just over 11k words. If you can read enough to know if it's a story that can make it here, I would appreciate that. Thank you!
Immortal protagonist is not really interesting nowadays, so it will be hard to gain readers with just that trope alone. You didn't insert any twist in your premise either. I think you will gain less than 100 readers at chapter 30 with very low chance of becoming popular.
just curious, is this to see if a story can become success based on how good the story is?
or is it based on if story is success based on trends that are specifically on scribblehub?
Mostly the latter. I can do predictions for other sites too if anybody wanted to.
Hello, I am already a couple of chapters done with seven uploaded for reading. I don't really want to depend on the number of views because I rather would like to see activity between myself and the readers, however, they are the silent type. I'm not one for assuming people dislike it right away as it did get quite some attention before but I also cannot blame them if they just have different tastes as well.

Mine has a prologue (because I felt it was appropriate in the story and it did come to me along with the writing)

Prologue here: Prologue

But if you are going to skip that and jump straight into the first chapter, absolutely OK with me.

The premise is simply this,
Three factions occupy most parts of what is known and marked on their maps of the great continent on which they thrive on. However, a war unimaginable was brought out of the unexpected from the south. Several years later after that, the story begins. Not by someone of particular status but rather in the eyes of one ordinary person, who cannot change the course of history alone. There are more surprises along the way but I must not spoil more, they are introduced later on anyways.

Tags are...

Here: First chapter of my first story

I do apologize in advance should it make you spend more time than you should've.
Your premise isn't interesting nor unique, unfortunately. It doesn't have any twist and the world-building is very vague. I think you should spoil one of early surprises in your synopsis, but that's just my opinion. Same as my reply above, you'll get less than 100 readers at chapter 30 with very low chance of becoming popular

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

Mostly the latter. I can do predictions for other sites too if anybody wanted to.
I see. So these predictions are by how popular the story may be on this site with what is trending, though that doesn't mean a story may be good or not.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Okay check this out. Nothing written yet but here's the premise for an action story:

It's a prequel to the Sixth Sense that I call the Fifth Sense– the sense of smell. Imagine, a super ripped, super smart scientist in a mesh tank top, named Doctor Dolph Lundgren, who, after a terrible accident in his lab, blows off his nose. After reconstructive surgery, he soon realizes that he smells something that stinks. That something? Crime. (possibly might run around like a hound) So anyway, the story focuses on the Doctor and his incredibly hot but skeptical lab partner.

And here's how it goes, whenever Dolph is not out busting heads and solving crime, he's back at the lab performing outrageous sexual experiments on her supple young body. Now here's the twist, and there is a twist. I describe it. I describe all of it.

Because what's the one major thing missing from all action stories these days? Full penetration. I'm going to describe full penetration and I'm going to describe a lot of it. I'm talking graphic scenes of Dolph Lundgren really going to town on this hot young lab tech. All the hits. All the big ones. All the good ones.

And then he smells crime again. He's out busting heads. And then he's back to the lab. Smells crime, back to the lab. Crime, penetration, crime, penetration. And this goes on and on, back and forth for about 90 chapters until the story just sort of ends.

Hathnuz

Okay check this out. Nothing written yet but here's the premise for an action story:

It's a prequel to the Sixth Sense that I call the Fifth Sense– the sense of smell. Imagine, a super ripped, super smart scientist in a mesh tank top, named Doctor Dolph Lundgren, who, after a terrible accident in his lab, blows off his nose. After reconstructive surgery, he soon realizes that he smells something that stinks. That something? Crime. (possibly might run around like a hound) So anyway, the story focuses on the Doctor and his incredibly hot but skeptical lab partner.

And here's how it goes, whenever Dolph is not out busting heads and solving crime, he's back at the lab performing outrageous sexual experiments on her supple young body. Now here's the twist, and there is a twist. I describe it. I describe all of it.

Because what's the one major thing missing from all action stories these days? Full penetration. I'm going to describe full penetration and I'm going to describe a lot of it. I'm talking graphic scenes of Dolph Lundgren really going to town on this hot young lab tech. All the hits. All the big ones. All the good ones.

And then he smells crime again. He's out busting heads. And then he's back to the lab. Smells crime, back to the lab. Crime, penetration, crime, penetration. And this goes on and on, back and forth for about 90 chapters until the story just sort of ends.
Oh hey, I was kind of hoping for you to visit my thread lol. Glad to see you here.

Anyway, back to giving feedback. Your premise reminds me of those crime-solving tv shows without the smut part. While it seems great at first glance, the premise isn't made for webnovels, I think. Both crime and mystery genres are very, very niche for online readers. Not to mention, the episodic format (judging from your last paragraph) is very much more suited for tv shows.

Even with smut, I can't see your story to have more than 100 readers by chapter 30. Smut's main appeal is the fictional elements that often accompanied with the act, not the description of the act itself (e.g., having sex with elves or succubi or even AI). Doesn't mean it's a bad premise, though. Maybe you could try amazon or kindle because they have more diverse audience unlike scribblehub, and those people will probably like this kind of story.

Last edited:

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Oh hey, I was kind of hoping for you to visit my thread lol. Glad to see you here.

Anyway, back to giving feedback. Your premise reminds me of those crime-solving tv shows without the smut part. While it seems great at first glance, the premise isn't made for webnovels, I think. Both crime and mystery genres are very, very niche for online readers. Not to mention, the episodic format (judging from your last paragraph) is very much more suited for tv shows.

Even with smut, I can't see your story to have more than 100 readers by chapter 30. Smut's main appeal is the fictional elements that often accompanied with the act, not the description of the act itself (ex: having sex with elves or succubi or even AI). Doesn't mean it's a bad premise, though. Maybe you could try amazon or kindle because they have more diverse audience unlike scribblehub, and those people will probably like this kind of story.
Whoah whoah whoah. Let's be entirely clear here, this is not smut. This is a high concept action thriller. It merely adds in the one thing Shamalyan lacks: sensuality.

But in all seriousness. If you were actually hoping I would participate, I'll go ahead and do a serious version. You ready? Here we go:

Syche: The Dark Element

Fantasy/Adventure. Think Avatar the Last Air Bender in a modern world. Except the main protagonist has no powers, so Sokka. Also the four elements aren't earth/wind/fire/water. And the basic premise is a treasure hunt more than stopping some great evil (though it does expand later with an evil empire and world domination).

So not like Avatar at all really. Really just a very subversive take on a lot of stale and cliche elements.

Hathnuz

Whoah whoah whoah. Let's be entirely clear here, this is not smut. This is a high concept action thriller. It merely adds in the one thing Shamalyan lacks: sensuality.
I meant it has explicit sexual content. The experiments seem to make the story qualified as a smut.
But in all seriousness. If you were actually hoping I would participate, I'll go ahead and do a serious version. You ready? Here we go:

Syche: The Dark Element

Fantasy/Adventure. Think Avatar the Last Air Bender in a modern world. Except the main protagonist has no powers, so Sokka. Also the four elements aren't earth/wind/fire/water. And the basic premise is a treasure hunt more than stopping some great evil (though it does expand later with an evil empire and world domination).

So not like Avatar at all really. Really just a very subversive take on a lot of stale and cliche elements.
Wait, I didn't expect you to ask for feedback instead of leaving a comment like half of users in this thread. I should've clarified that. Guess I'll put my feedback inside a spoiler for this one.

Welp, here's my opinion for that: it's meh premise. The twist isn't really a twist imo. At first glance, the elements looks like they're interchangeable without affecting the plot. Also, powerless protagonist is nothing new (yes, even if he relies on his wits). Overall, your chance of becoming popular is very low -- especially with that niche genre.

Last edited:

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I meant it has explicit sexual content. The experiments seem to make the story qualified as a smut.

Wait, I didn't expect you to ask for feedback instead of leaving a comment like half of users in this thread. I should've clarified that. Guess I'll put my feedback inside a spoiler for this one.

Welp, here's my opinion for that: it's meh premise. The twist isn't really a twist imo. At first glance, the elements looks like they're interchangeable without affecting the plot. Also, powerless protagonist is nothing new (yes, even if he relies on his wits). Overall, your chance of becoming popular is very low -- especially with that niche genre.
Oh lol. Thought you meant for review. Oh well.

And yeah, your analysis is accurate. One chapter left to publish and the numbers what they are, that was kind of already established. But that's okay, don't care about that. I am a little surprised about your comparisons though. Are powerless that common? I don't think I've read a single one.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
I would like to ask for your opinion, but I haven’t written any chapters yet since it’s only a concept that I’m not sure will ever be brought to life, so I hope for a limited assessment if possible.

The story itself is set in modern Japan. The protagonist is a high school girl who’s secretly a magical girl after hours. But here’s a little twist: she’s not an ordinary magical girl in fluffy pink clothes who saves everyone from trouble, no. She’s actually mischievous and cynical, and uses those powers only for her own entertainment.

The school she goes to is a prestigious academy for girls, and naturally she’s a quite popular figure in her class, but that’s only a front. She actually lives in an abandoned building because… she doesn’t have any better place to go. She doesn’t have parents obviously.

As for why or how those powers exist and work, or why she doesn’t live in a dorm instead, that’s not important since the story is meant to be a parody with slightly serious arcs every now and then.

In the first few chapters, she comes across two another magical girls and makes them her comrades, of course after fierce fights. One is a girl that wears a mecha suit (human-sized), but the protagonist manages to destroy that suit. It turns out that she’s a frail little girl that believes to be the antichrist (basically a chuunibyou) and intends to destroy the world. They pair up since their plans somewhat match, but their mission for now is to somehow repair that suit.

The other girl looks more like a magical girl because her outfit is fluffy and pink, but don’t let her looks deceive you. She appears to be quite sadistic and tough, she even manages to knock the other girls unconscious. She has big titties for the sake of fanservice (the others are flat, by the way. I wonder if there is any point to that in a novel that has no illustrations). Upon being tamed, she’s surprisingly down to earth, and it turns out that she’s actually a forlorn gamer. She has wings that not only allow her to fly, but they can also create a space the size of an average apartment where she often shuts herself in. It becomes the team’s headquarters.

Their goal is to destroy the world.

All relevant characters are female, and there will be girls’ love.

Some tags I picked that could describe the story: All-Girls School (but that’s only a subplot), Chuunibyou, Delusions, Evil Protagonist, Magical Girls, Modern Fantasy, Multiple Identities, Mysterious Past, Sadistic Characters.
From just reading this idea, Ai-chan doesn't think it will work out well. But just because Ai-chan says so doesn't mean it won't work at all. Ai-chan has no idea how your writing skills are and maybe you can make it work. Ai-chan won't be able to make it work.

Some flaws:
1. Chuunibyou
The problem with chuunibyou is that its existence instantly makes the chapter cringy. Now, just because it's cringy, doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. If you can make it the non-bad cringe, such as making a comedy, it could work. For example, in To Be The Power In The Shadows, the protagonist is an extreme chuunibyou and a massive cringe. What makes it work is that his aim creates a gap in his personality, one of the typical average mob character while the other is the super powerful anti-hero character, and as an anti-hero, his cringe is funny.

2. Big titties
While big titties is not a big deal, you specifically mentioned big titties and flat chest, so Ai-chan guesses you will just do the same thing every other people has been doing. Which is to massively dump big titties vs flat chest comedy moments and interactions, which is overused. Sure, you can still make it work, but if you only do what everyone else already did to death, your readers will most likely be bored. Like, how many times can you say "You smell of cow milk" or "Flat is justice"?

That being said, you mentioned that it's a parody, in which case, it could work. However, you need to ensure that it is really a parody and not a copy of existing novels. How you're going to get this to work is up to you, Ai-chan hasn't seen any of your writing so Ai-chan can't suggest how to get it to work for you story.