I can't do writing prompts, is that a sign of a bad author

LWFlouisa

Writing prompts are the bane of me. I don't know how or why but I can only do my best if it's my own idea, setting and character. I can't make do with a given name and character trait. It has to be something that's straight out of my mind and done with the intended theme and purpose by me.

Is that a sign of a bad writer, or is it just an idiosyncrasy?

No I agree, I'm exactly the same way. I'd say don't worry about it. Just find one that works for you, and if it doesn't, that's OK too.

My problem with prompts, as of one of my stories, is I tend to takes prompts to literally: when they say a Christmas Themed Science Fiction story, I often assume they literally mean a science fiction story with Christmas themes.

So when I wrote one, it was referencing Greensleeves. And it's as depressing as you'd imagine.

So prompts aren't for me.

Kalesterine

Not really, I'm a pretty okay author but I feel uncomfortable writing for something that's not mine (imagination). I guess that's the difference between fanfiction authors and fiction authors.

UltraRob

Not at all. Different people writing different things well, and not everyone can write short or write long either. Not being able to do writing prompts just makes you your own kind of writer. :-)