I can't draw upper bodies

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Nice advice from everyone.

Is this more on the anatomically accurate style?

From me… the thing I notice most is that the arm is not attached to the shoulder properly. It is like you draw the arm separately and then just connect it to the shoulder with some lines.

I think you need to study anatomy first. What could help is to draw a simplified skeleton where you can put on the flesh like this:

View attachment 5328
View attachment 5329
It helps me a lot when I do it like this.
I called it. Sticks rule! :blob_uwu:

D

Deleted member 29081

That looks like a character in a manga that's far into the background.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.

Why bring gore in...
The poor man was just asking for art advice...
Sorry, sorry, just exposing my inner demons every once in a while.

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
So... I tried a lot and upper body is going nowhere... I'll try anime style when my drawing tablet arrives. On the bright side I learned how to draw lower bodies from behind and my eye skills are slowly improving
20210115_175428_resize_69.jpg

Michuyu

I wish I could help, but I'm not that great myself haha I just wing everything and hope no one realizes I have no particular strategy :'3

Ral

So... I tried a lot and upper body is going nowhere... I'll try anime style when my drawing tablet arrives. On the bright side I learned how to draw lower bodies from behind and my eye skills are slowly improving
View attachment 5927
Yeah. You are drawing pretty much the same way as before so the result would be pretty much the same as before. Don't just draw a lot, try a lot of things too. Find out what works. You need to draw a lot not because the act of drawing improves your drawings but because there are lot of things to try.

By the way, switching to the anime style would not help. Anime style is still pretty much like this. Heck, you can say that this drawing is in anime style and all would agree. Switch to anime style and you would still draw like this.

And I see you hiding the hands:blob_evil:.

Did you use any references? At least, pictures you look at when you draw? If you don't, do it now! It is one of the best way to improve your work. And by the way, I don't mean anime pictures but pictures of real people. You are trying to draw realistic after all.

Last edited:

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
Yeah. You are drawing pretty much the same way as before so the result would be pretty much the same as before. Don't just draw a lot, try a lot of things too. Find out what works. You need to draw a lot not because the act of drawing improves your drawings but because there are lot of things to try.

By the way, switching to the anime style would not help. Anime style is still pretty much like this. Heck, you can say that this drawing is in anime style and all would agree. Switch to anime style and you would still draw like this.

And I see you hiding the hands:blob_evil:.

Did you use any references? At least, pictures you look at when you draw? If you don't, do it now! It is one of the best way to improve your work. And by the way, I don't mean anime pictures but pictures of real people. You are trying to draw realistic after all.
I'll try that out! thx