I don't get it

SailusGebel

why people eat different foods if they like eating? why artists don't stick with the stick figures they were drawing as kids? How can you enjoy doing something and not enjoy doing it better? different?
So people who collect something as their hobby should collect... better things? And people who read books as their hobby should... read better books? Or perhaps read faster? I thought people enjoy the process of the hobby. Not the end result. I do get it that there are different ways of doing hobbies. For example, taking hobbies more seriously, yet we shouldn't force our vision upon others.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
So people who collect something as their hobby should collect... better things? And people who read books as their hobby should... read better books? Or perhaps read faster? I thought people enjoy the process of the hobby. Not the end result. I do get it that there are different ways of doing hobbies. For example, taking hobbies more seriously, yet we shouldn't force our vision upon others.
People who collect something usually tend to make better storage spaces to make the collection better. and yes the people who read tend to progress from reading children books to more mature books. or they develop a taste and figure out what genres they like the most and become more selective at their decisions what they are about to read. Or they become pickier and don't just read anything that has "X" genre tagged.
That is exactly what I was talking about - if you enjoy the process you tend to get better at the said process. slowly and over time.

If nothing is changing it is not a hobby it's a routine. just a task you do at certain intervals of your life. I like showers - I tend to have a quick shower every day. It is not a hobby.

Once again - I am not saying that you should put everything aside and spend 1000 hours in order to attain mastery enough to call yourself a true hobbyist. But if you are collecting rocks only to come back home and dump them into a pile of rocks that had been growing for a few years and overgrown by weeds - that doesn't really sound like a hobby anymore.

SailusGebel

People who collect something usually tend to make better storage spaces to make the collection better. and yes the people who read tend to progress from reading children books to more mature books. or they develop a taste and figure out what genres they like the most and become more selective at their decisions what they are about to read. Or they become pickier and don't just read anything that has "X" genre tagged.
That is exactly what I was talking about - if you enjoy the process you tend to get better at the said process. slowly and over time.

If nothing is changing it is not a hobby it's a routine. just a task you do at certain intervals of your life. I like showers - I tend to have a quick shower every day. It is not a hobby.

Once again - I am not saying that you should put everything aside and spend 1000 hours in order to attain mastery enough to call yourself a true hobbyist. But if you are collecting rocks only to come back home and dump them into a pile of rocks that had been growing for a few years and overgrown by weeds - that doesn't really sound like a hobby anymore.
I am not saying that you are wrong as well. My point is, people should decide for themselves when to make better storage spaces. You shouldn't force them(even mildly) with words like: 'people usually strive'. It's a natural process. People tend to leave hobbies due to the fact that they can't better themselves or don't want it. I think enjoyment comes first. And then comes the strive for perfection. There are people who do the same thing over and over again, without any striving for perfection as a hobby. They think of it as a hobby, and they are perfectly happy. Who are we to tell them how they should enjoy themselves?

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
I am not saying that you are wrong as well. My point is, people should decide for themselves when to make better storage spaces. You shouldn't force them(even mildly) with words like: 'people usually strive'. It's a natural process. People tend to leave hobbies due to the fact that they can't better themselves or don't want it. I think enjoyment comes first. And then comes the strive for perfection. There are people who do the same thing over and over again, without any striving for perfection as a hobby. They think of it as a hobby, and they are perfectly happy. Who are we to tell them how they should enjoy themselves?
My original statement was for those who associate hobbies with doing nothing at all to improve them. "While people can write how they want, I am however confused why a lot of draw parallels that if it is a hobby it's okay or even expected to leave things half-assed" The accent was not on perfection at all. It was on the lack of pride.

Hobby works shouldn't be equivalent to "eh it's a work by hobbyist there are no expectations here."

And yes it is a natural process. not stagnation. Process implies change. Once again not all the way to perfection as I've mentioned multiple times. but change in general. Little things, small things, at whatever pace you are comfortable with.

People should be proud of their work. they should strive for better. If they aren't, honestly they are here as a job - to exchange their stories for patreons. Or they write to achieve validation. Both of these are fine, but they aren't really hobbies either.

Last edited:

SailusGebel

My original statement was for those who associate hobbies with doing nothing at all to improve them. "While people can write how they want, I am however confused why a lot of draw parallels that if it is a hobby it's okay or even expected to leave things half-assed" The accent was not on perfection at all. It was on the lack of pride.

Hobby works shouldn't be equivalent to "eh it's a work by hobbyist there are no expectations here."

And yes it is a natural process. not stagnation. Process implies change. Once again not all the way to perfection as I've mentioned multiple times. but change in general. Little things, small things, at whatever pace you are comfortable with.

People should be proud of their work. they should strive for better. If they aren't, honestly they are here as a job - to exchange their stories for patreons. Or they write to achieve validation. Both of these are fine, but they aren't really hobbies either.
I see nothing wrong with the lack of pride though. Nor do I understand why process implies change.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
Oh, I always used a different definition. Thanks for pointing this out.
Ah, yeah I would have defined process as 'A sequence of events', not a gradual change. Actually;
: a continuing natural or biological activity or function; such life processes as breathing
Fits more to me.

According to the definition, a hobby is something done regularly for the sake of pleasure or entertainment. Pride, progress, popularity, all are unnecessary. All that matters is that you enjoy it. Like playing a video game even though you never get better at it. Some people certainly try, but not trying doesn't mean they don't really enjoy games. Or that other thing that you do regularly for fun and are still terrible at even though you've been practicing since you hit puberty.

Last edited: