I don't understand what some genres are

nani

I'm new to Scribble Hub and I cannot understand some genres, especially those which are not english in title.

Example:
  • Seinen
  • Isekai
  • Josei
Actually, among the non-English genres, the only thing I understand is Ecchi. 😅

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
I'm new to Scribble Hub and I cannot understand some genres, especially those which are not english in title.

Example:
  • Seinen
  • Isekai
  • Josei
Actually, among the non-English genres, the only thing I understand is Ecchi. 😅

• Seinen: Stories marketed towards young adult males
  • Isekai: is a subgenre of Japanese light novels, manga, anime, and video games, revolving around a normal person from Earth being transported to, reborn in, or trapped in a parallel universe (usually a fantasy world)
  • Josei: Stories marketed towards young adult females.

Arkus86

• Isekai: is a subgenre of Japanese light novels, manga, anime, and video games, revolving around a normal person from Earth being transported to, reborn in, or trapped in a parallel universe (usually a fantasy world)
What he said.

Edit: There are mouse-over tooltips for tags on NU, so mybe @Tony will add them here at some point as well?

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
To expound on this:

• Shounen: Stories marketed towards teenage boys
  • Shoujo: Stories marketed towards young teenage girls
  • Shounen-ai: Boys love
  • Yaoi: Smutty boys love
  • Shoujo-ai: Girls Love
  • Yuri: Smutty girls love
Just in case you come across them.

nani

To expound on this:

Thank you!
So:
▪ Josei & Shoujo are the same thing?
▪ Seinen & Shounen are the same thing?

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Thank you!
So:
▪ Josei & Shoujo are the same thing?
▪ Seinen & Shounen are the same thing?
Somewhat. Like Josei and Shoujo are catered to females but the content is different. Josei tends to be more mature. Typically a story, usually romance, between adults. Also, usually office romance.

Meanwhile, shounen and seinen are addressed to males. With Seinen for a more mature audience. Typically from 20s to 50s.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
To expound on this:

I want to add that people don't always mean smutty Boys' Love or Girls' Love when they say "yaoi" or "yuri" - it can be just another catch-all way of referring to BL and GL. The use of the shounen-ai and shoujo-ai distinction is going out of fashion.

Yuri and yaoi was never split this way in Japan to begin with. There, shounen-ai and shoujo-ai refers to paedophilia.

DalangTala

ℳᴇʀᴇ ℋᴜᴍᴀɴ
I want to add that people don't always mean smutty Boys' Love or Girls' Love when they say "yaoi" or "yuri" - it can be just another catch-all way of referring to BL and GL. The use of the shounen-ai and shoujo-ai distinction is going out of fashion.

Yuri and yaoi was never split this way in Japan to begin with. There, shounen-ai and shoujo-ai refers to paedophilia.
That's a trivia to me. I used to think that shounen-ai ang shoujo-ai where lighter version of yaoi and Yuri.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
That's a trivia to me. I used to think that shounen-ai ang shoujo-ai where lighter version of yaoi and Yuri.

If someone goes out of their way to use those terms in the Western/international fandoms, they'll still mean that. It's just that not using them doesn't mean you're referencing only smutty or hardcore works.

YueMiking

Shoujo ai and Shounen ai can also mean love between young girls/boys, which tend to be more on the innocent side? Since I thought that love for younger kids (pedophilia) is classified as shoutacon.

Kalesterine

Shoujo tends to be more of a highschool setting whilst Josei is more of office setting.

Shoutacon is just pedophilia. Usually it's yaoi, but sometimes it's shoujo (girl×boy).

Seinen and shounen are quite similar but really it's just the fan service that's different.