I drew this tuff of hair on a concept drawing and I have no idea what it actually is.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
So I'm mucking around with character designs for a new story I'm planning. I'm drawing the third character concept. This is what I came up with.

tester_3.png

I love it. I'm going to use it. Now, time to draw her facing the other way.

tester_15.png

Wait a minute. Wait just a minuto...

whatisthis.png

What the fu-

Okay, so I drew this tuff of hair and... I have no idea what exactly it could possibly be. Any ideas on how this could possibly be shown at a different angle? I really love the first character design and don't want to alter it.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
So I'm mucking around with character designs for a new story I'm planning. I'm drawing the third character concept. This is what I came up with.

View attachment 7911

View attachment 7912

View attachment 7913

What the fu-

Okay, so I drew this tuff of hair and... I have no idea what exactly it could possibly be. Any ideas on how this could possibly be shown at a different angle? I really love the first character design and don't want to alter it.
Just my two cent from someone who can't draw, for the sharp corner, couldn't you not draw it out in the first place? Instead, have the two halves blend without the split line?

Or at least shorten the line and not sticking it all the way up to her crown?

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
Well... you have to draw the hair on the right circled hair that's missing from the left hair... it'd cover half of her eyes and glasses but if you don't want that. Then, remove the oblong'd hair on the left side. The right-drawn face is good, but the left-drawn face looks like she is fat.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
Just my two cent from someone who can't draw, for the sharp corner, couldn't you not draw it out in the first place? Instead, have the two halves blend without the split line?

Sharp corner? Split line? I do not understand.

Well... you have to draw the hair on the right circled hair that's missing from the left hair... it'd cover half of her eyes and glasses but if you don't want that. Then, remove the oblong'd hair on the left side. The right-drawn face is good, but the left-drawn face looks like she is fat.

It's her neck, I'm certain. Do note this are just very rough sketches.

I don't want to remove the tuff of hair, I love it how it looks on the first design, so I'm going to try and do the hair covering thing.

Update:
In my attempt to understand what that thing is, I tried drawing her facing forward.
tester_16.png

Uhh....

I have a feeling I got to get rid of it. I have no idea what I drew and can't replicate it in another angle.

Update #2:

And here is another drawing without the tuff of hair.
tester_17.png

Now it makes sense... but I prefer it with the tuff of hair. :s_frown: It can't be helped. If I don't even know what it is enough to redraw it in another angle, it's not worth it.

Last edited:

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Would looking for references that are similar help?

It looks like it's less voluminous and hugs the face a little closer than your front-facing drawing shows.

In particular, you've made the tuft sit higher than the other half of the fringe on your front drawing when, if you look at the first one, it sits a little lower compared to it.

You've also left a lot of forehead on show in no.2, but the OG comes down to create more of a triangle peep, and it also has a single long strand coming out directly from where it meets the other half and stops just before her eye, rather than the many shaggy but short strands in no.2.

I also feel like your tuft might be flatter on the inside, and the rest of he fringe sat closer to the eye in the OG drawing compared to the front-facing drawing.

Last edited:

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
Update:
In my attempt to understand what that thing is, I tried drawing her facing forward.
View attachment 7915

Uhh....

I have a feeling I got to get rid of it. I have no idea what I drew and can't replicate it in another angle.

Update #2:

And here is another drawing without the tuff of hair.
View attachment 7916
Now it makes sense... but I prefer it with the tuff of hair. :s_frown: It can't be helped. If I don't even know what it is enough to redraw it in another angle, it's not worth it.
Hmmm—yeah. After looking at it again, it is preferable to leave it without the short hair on the left side. The attempt had resulted in something, so to say, unpleasant. The hairstyle which was good was now poorly cut, but have you tried different variations of hairs you could put there? Let's say, bangs or cosmetics? It never hurts to try.

References that's similar... that is well... if you could try.
maxresdefault.jpg

e16ec0dbfd788684482519fb8d13fe11.jpg

D

Deleted member 49654

View attachment 7911

View attachment 7912

View attachment 7913

What the fu-

I think it is fine even if you don't change it. The anime style doesn't really need to adhere to logic so much. Anyway, if you want why not just add another lock of hair in front of her ear?

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
Would looking for references that are similar help?

It looks like it's less voluminous and hugs the face a little closer than your front-facing drawing shows.

In particular, you've made the tuft sit higher than the other half of the fringe on your front drawing when, if you look at the first one, it sits a little lower compared to it.

You've also left a lot of forehead on show in no.2, but the OG comes down to create more of a triangle peep, and it also has a single long strand coming out directly from where it meets the other half and stops just before her eye, rather than the many shaggy but short strands in no.2.

I also feel like your tuft might be flatter on the inside, and the rest of he fringe sat closer to the eye in the OG drawing compared to the front-facing drawing.

Oh, that long strand... yeah, that's artifact. I intended to show more forehead that lose strands. That's just a line from the sketch. If anything, if we do consider the artifact, then I see the tuft of hair raising above the forehead, but I guess it depends on which line you think is drawing the forehead.

Hmmm—yeah. After looking at it again, it is preferable to leave it without the short hair on the left side. The attempt had resulted in something, so to say, unpleasant. The hairstyle which was good was now poorly cut, but have you tried different variations of hairs you could put there? Let's say, bangs or cosmetics? It never hurts to try.

References that's similar... that is well... if you could try.
View attachment 7917
View attachment 7918

Funny thing about me and references. My methodology of designing a character is to look at a reference and at the same time not looking at it. I did use a ref for this character, but only paid attention to what I needed without actually paying attention to it. So I did use a ref, but only for a general idea of what I want. That tuft of hair must have come from a more structured hair style but I probably didn't pay attention to it.

I guess it's good to realize this, so yeah, I'll either consider some other style, or just omit it. Shame if it's the latter, I really like how she looks like in that first drawing.

I think it is fine even if you don't change it. The anime style doesn't really need to adhere to logic so much. Anyway, if you want why not just add another lock of hair in front of her ear?

I think that's what I was trying to do with that tuft, but just couldn't get it right.

View attachment 7920

Maybe something like this is what you want? Though I might have drawn it a bit too long.

I also kinda changed the jawline a bit.

Oh, nice. Thanks for the edit. It's nice to get someone else's interpretation.

As for the hair, uhh... if that's how it's suppose to be, I'm starting to reconsider.