I enjoy writing, but...

Do people tell you that posting on SH has no meaning?

• Yes.

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • No.

Votes: 27 77.1%

• Total voters

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
My colleagues think it is stupid of me to write for free. They think it is easy to sell copies, even when it is not. I am tired of hearing their same old arguments. It is almost like money has taken over their lives entirely. It came to a point when I don't want to even talk to them. What argument can I use next time, which, by judging them, would be in five minutes, they begin to tell me to quit writing? I can't ignore them, we need to be a team. But they are getting on my nerves.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
I think it has meaning. For me, it’s me testing how much time and effort I can put in something. I love reading so I want to love writing and maybe even make something of it (though I’ll have to start studying english)

Theirl

SHHS detainee no. 0004
well my opnion, like u clearly write as a hobby ask your friends do u watch youtube for money? u receive money watching tv? u should stop your hobby because you can't make a living with it? of course not! if u end up making money on the side with it... great but thats not the point of a hobby.

BlackKnightX

You can definitely make money on Scribble Hub, if that’s what you want to do. It is a free space with high traffic for advertising your works. You can monetize it with Patreon, PayPal, and such. So, if you want to make money writing web novels, then just do it. You can even open a room for donation just for fun. No losses here, only gains.

Though, most people on this site seems to write as a hobby. They do it for fun and just want to share it with their fellow degenera— ahem, like-minded individuals. So, if you want to write for free, then just do it. It is a hobby. Why cares about what people think about it?

doravg

well my opnion, like u clearly write as a hobby ask your friends do u watch youtube for money? u receive money watching tv? u should stop your hobby because you can't make a living with it? of course not! if u end up making money on the side with it... great but thats not the point of a hobby.
Thank you. Now that I think about it, they do spend a lot of time watching TV and on Facebook without getting any money for it. I haven't thought about that argument.

Agentt

Thighs
God, do people not get what a hobby is? Geez.
*pat pat pats*

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Me when people ask why I like to write:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
It's really just a hobby for me so that's my reason. However, if you want an argument for posting on ScribbleHub then I would say that it is an outlet for you to practice your writing in front of an audience. That way you can receive feedback and improve your work over time before eventually publishing.

D

Deleted member 54065

My colleagues think it is stupid of me to write for free. They think it is easy to sell copies, even when it is not. I am tired of hearing their same old arguments. It is almost like money has taken over their lives entirely. It came to a point when I don't want to even talk to them. What argument can I use next time, which, by judging them, would be in five minutes, they begin to tell me to quit writing? I can't ignore them, we need to be a team. But they are getting on my nerves.
Ya know, judging by your story, your colleagues are toxic. If you have the opportunity to drop them, drop them.

Anyway, about writing for free. People have different takes about this issue. As for me, though I've been offered contracts for my pet project, I declined all of them because some contracts will make a slave out of me, or the publisher would demand I write in something I don't like. So, in the end, I realized I can just write and publish for free.

Yes, I'm 12 books into my pet story. And I do it (money and large number of readers be damned) because I enjoy it.

And yes, I understand. Some authors need money to survive, but it's their situation, not someone else's.

As for you, enjoy what you do. Yeah, money is powerful and necessary, but it's not everything (trust me, when you got the bucks, the next thing you'll look for is 'real' happiness, which can only be given by contentment).

Best way to answer them: Smile. Agree. And do whatever the fuck you want to do anyway.

doravg

Best way to answer them: Smile. Agree. And do whatever the fuck you want to do anyway.
I think that will fly better with them. Make them feel superior and, hopefully, make them stop asking about what I do between 4 am and 8 am and after work. Or when I get up in the morning.

D

Deleted member 54065

I think that will fly better with them. Make them feel superior and, hopefully, make them stop asking about what I do between 4 am and 8 am and after work. Or when I get up in the morning.
You can try the sarcastic route, too.

"What are you doing with your story?"

"I'm selling them to Yakuza. Pretty lucrative business. Wanna join me?"

Sometimes, people like that need an 'in your face' answer. If properly explaining to them that you don't need money to enioy what you do won't work, a sarcastic answer could shut them up as well.

strayCat0

Other
Some people just likes to disagree with others, even when they actually never believed it themselves. If you ever told them that you wanted a job according to your hobby, then they'll shit on you and say 'you're not getting money with that, just give up.' But when you do something for the sake of just doing it, then they'll tell you that you're being stupid cause you're doing it for free. You can't win against them.

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
What brain dead logic is this. Those colleagues of yours are retards

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I read something in a writing guide once that stuck with me: People tend to ask you where you're published if you tell them writing is your hobby, but they wouldn't ask somebody who says they play tennis as a hobby whether they've won at Wimbledon.
So, maybe just turn things back around on your colleagues? Ask them what their hobbies are and how they intend to earn money with that? Then go from there. E.g., if they go 'I don't, it's just a hobby', you can simply say 'See? That's what writing is to me as well. Now, can we move on?' and then simply drop the topic. You can talk about other things with them.

HappyVainGlory

Personally, I don't think this is a point that needs to be argued. If I were in your situation, I honestly would just stop interacting with your colleagues beyond the usual courtesies since it seems that there's a fundamental difference in beliefs and since they seem to be the type that like to try and force their beliefs onto others and live vicariously through them.

If you want an argument though...

One rationale would be that it's to practice your written communication skills. While the world seems to have devolved to grammarless communication vis a vis social media, the corporate and professional world still requires proper writing skills. This would just be a means to improve it.

A more vindictive approach would be saying something about how you're being literally productive with your time and making content to post out into the world, unlike them who probably just waste time consuming content.