I guess I should not have neglected Scribble Hub?

lambenttyto

I find it very interesting that ONI RŌKURA is about to surpass readership with its Royal Road counterpart with fewer chapters uploaded and only half the total views. Actually, if I count "plan to read" it has already surpassed the story on Royal Road, and it's even on Rising Stars over there.

In hindsight, I guess I should have been pushing for readers to come over here and read, and maybe I could have gotten onto the trending page, maybe? I'm not even sure how it works, but every day I see how my readerships steadily climbs. It's slow, but constant, while on Royal Road I get 1-3 follows per day while on Rising Stars. A bit ridiculous, but oh well.

PancakesWitch

RR Seems to have a declining reader base, and perhaps the name of your novel is not that appealing to the more wide population of readers there, who are all obssesed over male mc litRPG with the most generic set of tropes, or a lot of smut. People talk a lot about how RR is where all the "high quality" stories go, but the readerbase consumes the most generic of shit anyways, just have better grammar? i guess thats literally the only difference at the end of the day from scribblehub lol, although this site favors more female mc over male mc stories,
Also i just checked your other stories in RR and they all seem to be completely ignored despite being way longer than Oni Rokura, so yeah, the readerbase in RR simply doestn favor what you write that much

lambenttyto

Also i just checked your other stories in RR and they all seem to be completely ignored despite being way longer than Oni Rokura, so yeah, the readerbase in RR simply doestn favor what you write that much
Sadly, it's true. What I write doesn't seem to have that much of a draw over there. I should post my stuff over here. The Jinni and the Isekai is over 900 pages!

How do you figure they're losing readers, though?

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I won't even bother with RR. They don't allow all the Taboo my smut novel will have in the future... that and they're not friendly to experimental writing. Also, the smut I write :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ... I just can't imagine how they would look.

SH is still growing. RR is going into decline because all their novels are similar and a lot of their writers once they get a following take it off RR and put it on Amazon Unlimited. That happened to me a few times and I just gave up reading on RR. I'm not getting a paid service for something that was once posted for free.

PancakesWitch

Sadly, it's true. What I write doesn't seem to have that much of a draw over there. I should post my stuff over here. The Jinni and the Isekai is over 900 pages!

How do you figure they're losing readers, though?
because of the amount of readers you got a day, even the worst novel in scribblehub still gets more readers a day than that, their reader base seems way too centered into the specific genres i told you about
I won't even bother with RR. They don't allow all the Taboo my smut novel will have in the future... that and they're not friendly to experimental writing. Also, the smut I write :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ... I just can't imagine how they would look.

SH is still growing. RR is going into decline because all their novels are similar and a lot of their writers once they get a following take it off RR and put it on Amazon Unlimited. That happened to me a few times and I just gave up reading on RR. I'm not getting a paid service for something that was once posted for free.
Yeah they're more into very traditional smut about a OP dude with System powers collecting a monster girl harem and having sex with them while having a poker face lol

Horizon42

Scribblehub has a very good search system. It makes it easier for readers to find what they want rather than different algorithms guessing what they want based on abstract notions of popularity.

In most cases, i think you'll have a high chance of steady growth here, whereas in other sites I've tried, it's mostly hit or miss.

Reborn_Cat

A lazy cat pretending to be human
Yeah they're more into very traditional smut about a OP dude with System powers collecting a monster girl harem and having sex with them while having a poker face lol
The sex isn't there every other chapter, so maybe the screener didn't bother reading it till it got to the point.

Also scribble hub is just an easier site for me to use so I tend to stay here more than RR. At this point, I'm only there for eldritch bestie and blood shaper.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
People talk a lot about how RR is where all the "high quality" stories go, but the readerbase consumes the most generic of shit anyways, just have better grammar? i guess thats literally the only difference at the end of the day from scribblehub lol, although this site favors more female mc over male mc stories,
RR has a higher average quality, but that does not mean they are less generic. Originality and quality are separate (but adjacent).

To illustrate this, let us take the Lord of the Rings. They were very original when they came out, but now, 70 years later, much of it has been retroactively made generic (for example, the elves and dwarves). Does that mean that the books have gotten worse over time? Have they lost in quality as they are no longer revolutionary? Of course not, for they remain the same extremely well written books.

The idea here is the same. a lot of webnovels are very generic, be it on Sh or RR, the difference is in the execution of those similar ideas. Gramar, logical consistency, natural dialogue and how exposition is handled, there are many factors to quality, which have nothing to do with whether the story is generic or not.

I still wouldn't really say that RR has all the "high quality" reads, since most of those are posted on both sites, though I confess to having read only one SH exclusive novel that has made my top tier webnovel list.

I think it’s just that RR has a bigger proportion of medium-high quality than SH, and SH is flooded with stories with an interesting premise but comparatively poor execution.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
RR has a higher average quality, but that does not mean they are less generic. Originality and quality are separate (but adjacent).
I'd have to ask what you mean by "quality" since it's a subjective term. There are many successful stories (50 Shades of Gray, Twilight) that have horrible quality. Personally I find a lot of what is on RR boring and not fun to read.

I'd say they have a "higher quality of a specific type" of novel, and you wouldn't be wrong there. When it comes to smut however, the quality of Smut on SH is definitely better.

EDIT: Nevermind, you did define quality in your post. I was speed reading.

Hathnuz

I find it very interesting that ONI RŌKURA is about to surpass readership with its Royal Road counterpart with fewer chapters uploaded and only half the total views. Actually, if I count "plan to read" it has already surpassed the story on Royal Road, and it's even on Rising Stars over there.

In hindsight, I guess I should have been pushing for readers to come over here and read, and maybe I could have gotten onto the trending page, maybe? I'm not even sure how it works, but every day I see how my readerships steadily climbs. It's slow, but constant, while on Royal Road I get 1-3 follows per day while on Rising Stars. A bit ridiculous, but oh well.
Why did you neglect SH in the first place anyway?

BigBadBoi

The only good novels in royal road are novels that isn't a system litrpg. God most of the system litrpgs there are generic as hell with the only good thing about them is decent grammar. It's like japanese isekais where they add a gimmick to make it feel unique.

XKARNATION

Its werid but all my novels do almost equally well on all sites I post them.

Temple

male mc litRPG with the most generic set of tropes
This is true. I got writer friends with other types of stories who experimented writing novels with the usual tropes and shot to Rising Stars no problem.
or a lot of smut
This is SH though.
People talk a lot about how RR is where all the "high quality" stories go, but the readerbase consumes the most generic of shit anyways, just have better grammar?
Going past the top of the list, I'd say RR has the better quality stories and more varied too. In a way, SH is varied because it allows smut, but if without smut, RR should be way more varied. It's just that the top of the lists are the same. SH is quite fast in changing its main tastes compared to RR though.
And probably the biggest advantage of RR, is that those who want to earn money writing have more chances doing it there than literally any other site.

PancakesWitch

RR Also allows smut, doesnt "Everyone loves large chests" has like several futa sex scenes? Very detailed at that? lol
This is true. I got writer friends with other types of stories who experimented writing novels with the usual tropes and shot to Rising Stars no problem.

This is SH though.

Going past the top of the list, I'd say RR has the better quality stories and more varied too. In a way, SH is varied because it allows smut, but if without smut, RR should be way more varied. It's just that the top of the lists are the same. SH is quite fast in changing its main tastes compared to RR though.
And probably the biggest advantage of RR, is that those who want to earn money writing have more chances doing it there than literally any other site.
No? not everything is just smut in SH. Also, RR wont give as much attention to stories like the guy that made this post than the more generic set of stories i said before. The whole point of the conversation is that no, it lacks variety, and it simply ignores anything that spices things up

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Going past the top of the list, I'd say RR has the better quality stories and more varied too. In a way, SH is varied because it allows smut, but if without smut, RR should be way more varied. It's just that the top of the lists are the same.
I’d say the Authors on RR put a lot more effort into pleasing the readers on RR because of what you mentioned before “money.”

My issue with RR is that they don’t allow incest.

Other than that I am not the kind of reader that RR writers would please and the few novels on there I did enjoy was taken to Amazon Select Unlimited. I do agree though that quality of grammar and story structure there has a higher standard due to the effort but just because it has a higher standard doesn’t mean it’s more entertaining.

Some of the absolute train wreck novels on SH like Incest Complex were highly entertaining and made me laugh at how horrible it was, yet I did have fun reading due to how nonsensical the characters were.
So when you say "smut" what exactly are we talking about?
Look up my novel, read the NSFW labeled chapters. That is smut.

Last edited: