I hate it when I get invested in a story and the writer just stops!

Colinllama

I started reading a story on here about a year ago and I loved it. It actually inspired me to try writing myself.

Once I had read all the available chapters (about 70), I joined the authors discord to see when more would be added. January was the response. January came, and so did an apology. He was going to do a bit of a rewrite, and would post rewritten chapters before continuing.

Since then, no more chapters, no rewrite, and no word from the author at all.

Honestly, if the author just posted a message to say they are unable to write any more, I would accept it, but they totally vanished.

It was a really great story and I would love to have read more, but sadly, it's not to be.
Please authors, if you need to drop a story, or put it on the back-burner, whatever... Just let your readers know.

Colinllama

it's not that easy.
Honestly, the author owes me nothing, he gave me a lot of excellent entertainment for free, and like I said, actually inspired me to try to write. I'm grateful.

A short message on their discord. "Sorry I have no plans to continue this story for now." I would be good with that,and it takes 20 seconds.

As it is, I check every few weeks to see if there is news. I even worry if the author is OK?

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I started reading a story on here about a year ago and I loved it. It actually inspired me to try writing myself.

Once I had read all the available chapters (about 70), I joined the authors discord to see when more would be added. January was the response. January came, and so did an apology. He was going to do a bit of a rewrite, and would post rewritten chapters before continuing.

Honestly, if the author just posted a message to say they are unable to write any more, I would accept it, but they totally vanished.

It was a really great story and I would love to have read more, but sadly, it's not to be.
Please authors, if you need to drop a story, or put it on the back-burner, whatever... Just let your readers know.
What’s the story

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
You say that, but for one of my favorite novels… the author did die. Infinite hiatus. 😭
images (30).jpeg

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Lol sounds like me. It happens

LORD_SHAXX

Bro I know it's annoying but Life happens I mean I have a story I was writing I had to stop due to University. Its just hard to find time.

Colinllama

Bro I know it's annoying but Life happens I mean I have a story I was writing I had to stop due to University. Its just hard to find time.
I completely understand, life gets in the way. Just a minute to write a couple of sentences telling the readers isn't that hard though.

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
I also feel something similar. I hate it when something I really like a lot just ends in an infinite hiatus.

But now as an author I also understand why they can occur. The author got tired of the story, of the feedback he was receiving, Maybe something happened in their personal life that forced them to put aside their novel, perhaps to focus on another one that received more success. It even happened to me, because I was working in a toy store, Christmas were approaching and the massive purchases from families, I didn't even have time to sleep for 3 months. When I had time to write again, people thought I had died, But it was just as simple as I didn't have time.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
They probably gave birth and underestimated how much attention those little humans require.

skribe

The best way to encourage any artist is to toss a coin to your witch...them. I know that's not viable for everyone, but even a token amount makes a massive difference in motivation.

Praise, comments, upvotes, reviews all help too.

Writing is a lonely business and it's difficult. Having even just one or two people as your advocates/evangelists can make a world of difference.

Creators will crawl through glass just to receive a modicum of admiration from complete strangers.

Macha

Not a Klutz
I too hate it when I get invested in a story and the writer just stops living. I wish we have the technology to upload their mind to a supercomputer so the story can continue.

CKJ5

The best way to encourage any artist is to toss a coin to your witch...them. I know that's not viable for everyone, but even a token amount makes a massive difference in motivation.

Writing is a lonely business and it's difficult. Having even just one or two people as your advocates/evangelists can make a world of difference.

Creators will crawl through glass just to receive a modicum of admiration from complete strangers.
This, this, and all this!

ForestDweller

This, exactly.

Everytime I update and i only get one or two comments, i felt like I should just stop writing entirely. 😢