I have a slight predicament

What do you think should be the title of a reverse 'Little Mermaid' (More info below)

• Gaining Sea Legs (Because MC does change to spending a lot more time upon the sea then land)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TLCsDestiny

Hm... Cinderella's an easier story to remove the magic from, though, because its core themes really revolve around a poor/abused girl sneaking into a ball and the prince being able to recognise her in her poor form afterwards. The magic is sort of an extra.

The Little Mermaid's core elements are its mermaid protagonist and the magic contract she makes to go onto land. If you remove the magic, it becomes difficult to recognise it as The Little Mermaid at all.

Not that it can't be done, but I'm just curious how this is going to compensate for that, as a potential reader?

The biggest factor in my fairy tale books, that I have changed, is that it is reversed...
The Little Mermaid was a girl that wanted to go onto land and experience it there and love her prince...
So...
I will have a man that can't handle the land anymore (His reasoning's can be seen as early as the first book in my fairy tale books) and so he goes to sea (The opposite). The reasoning's why I use pirates, besides that they pretty much live at sea anyway, is because they are 'free'. I even have a way that the MC will lose feeling in his legs and regains feeling to only lose his voice for a short time (A tonic to get rid of poison when he got bitten by a snake or something).
I am not going into this half hearted. I am still using basic elements, like the 'want' to move from their normal lives. Actually, everyone seems to have it locked in that you can't have fairy tales without magic but now that I've done two books and now a third already in mind, it's a lot easier to go passed that 'tradition'...
Perhaps people are forgetting also that it's just a book...Why are they already so critical of it? Why not give it a try instead?

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Perhaps people are forgetting also that it's just a book...Why are they already so critical of it? Why not give it a try instead?

I'm not being critical, I'm asking questions. I want to know what to expect before I pick up a book to read.

Reading a book takes time and time is an investment. If I'd really only want to read a book because I think it's going to have X thing and then it doesn't, then I've wasted my time on that book instead of other novels I'd rather be reading.
In certain circumstances, readers can also end up feeling mislead by the author and tricked into wasting their time on that book, which will sour the contents no matter what.

Gay pirates are interesting on their own, but I wouldn't be able to enjoy it if I was lead to believe it would be a different sort of book than it turned out to be.

So it's not strange to ask what to expect before deciding whether or not to read something?

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
The biggest factor in my fairy tale books, that I have changed, is that it is reversed...
The Little Mermaid was a girl that wanted to go onto land and experience it there and love her prince...
So...
I will have a man that can't handle the land anymore (His reasoning's can be seen as early as the first book in my fairy tale books) and so he goes to sea (The opposite). The reasoning's why I use pirates, besides that they pretty much live at sea anyway, is because they are 'free'. I even have a way that the MC will lose feeling in his legs and regains feeling to only lose his voice for a short time (A tonic to get rid of poison when he got bitten by a snake or something).
I am not going into this half hearted. I am still using basic elements, like the 'want' to move from their normal lives. Actually, everyone seems to have it locked in that you can't have fairy tales without magic but now that I've done two books and now a third already in mind, it's a lot easier to go passed that 'tradition'...
I just don't really see The Little Mermaid without magic and mermaids. Reversed...its just not The Little Mermaid at all. I don't even see how that story is reversed because taking magic and mermaids as well as the romance out of it means its nothing even remotely similar to the original. Not even a reversed version. The other two. I can see done without magic and even the reversed version sounds near. But sorry, this Little Mermaid you are envisioning isn't The Little Mermaid or even a reversed version of it. You've gutted everything about that particular tale except for the setting of it being the ocean.

It's your tale to tell, but I won't be seeing it as anything but a pirate story or some "search for thyself" kind of thing. Not a reversed Little Mermaid.

Also, magic is one of THE core features to fairy tales...so yeah it's kind of expected. Taking it out, you can call it a fairy tales if you wish but you will be in the minority. I mean its literally in the name "fairy" which are well-established magical creatures.

TLCsDestiny

I'm not being critical, I'm asking questions. I want to know what to expect before I pick up a book to read.

Reading a book takes time and time is an investment. If I'd really only want to read a book because I think it's going to have X thing and then it doesn't, then I've wasted my time on that book instead of other novels I'd rather be reading.
In certain circumstances, readers can also end up feeling mislead by the author and tricked into wasting their time on that book, which will sour the contents no matter what.

Gay pirates are interesting on their own, but I wouldn't be able to enjoy it if I was lead to believe it would be a different sort of book than it turned out to be.

So it's not strange to ask what to expect before deciding whether or not to read something?

Understood. I feel the same when reading novels.
These days they are bringing out very similar novels, either that of being a transmigrated young miss with a bad step mum and sister or that of a modern one where a girl is raped and comes back four or so years later as a lawyer and a mum, give or take. They are mostly about revenge and...It's...Repetitive!
I'm not willing to become an author just for reads, you can see that in most of my books that I have little amount of reads. I love my work, I put in effort and to be honest, I think my books aren't a waste of time but...I do know that everyone is different and have already accepted that my books are not for everyone. It does depend upon opinions and personalities and I know the end decision on reading my book or not relies on you.
Summary used to be all you had back in the day, now there's tags and comments, reviews...

Romance is probably my biggest genre in my books, if you don't like that then I might as well say that you might be happier reading another book.

TLCsDestiny

I just don't really see The Little Mermaid without magic and mermaids. Reversed...its just not The Little Mermaid at all. I don't even see how that story is reversed because taking magic and mermaids as well as the romance out of it means its nothing even remotely similar to the original. Not even a reversed version. The other two. I can see done without magic and even the reversed version sounds near. But sorry, this Little Mermaid you are envisioning isn't The Little Mermaid or even a reversed version of it. You've gutted everything about that particular tale except for the setting of it being the ocean.

It's your tale to tell, but I won't be seeing it as anything but a pirate story or some "search for thyself" kind of thing. Not a reversed Little Mermaid.

Also, magic is one of THE core features to fairy tales...so yeah it's kind of expected. Taking it out, you can call it a fairy tales if you wish but you will be in the minority. I mean its literally in the name "fairy" which are well-established magical creatures.

Your right, I probably shouldn't call it my 'fairy tale' books, simply because it has no magic. But...Who said that magic is it...That there is no 'if', 'buts' or 'maybe's'? (There's heaps of no magic Cinderella's out there...)
I can understand if people think directly that they won't be interested but it doesn't mean that the idea of it still can't be tried.
Again, I'll say things simply, the little mermaid was about a girl that wanted to live on land, when she lived in the sea. She wanted to experience what it was like, to walk, dance and whatever...Well, I'm doing the same bloody thing mate! I'm making a man go out to sea and experience it! What is so different!?
Nonetheless, this is what I'm doing and I won't force anyone to read it. I do wish people would look beyond some things and give my books a try but I know they aren't for everyone. I'm not complaining, I just wanted to get opinions upon titles, simply because I had already gotten one and I was 'oh'...So I wanted more opinions..
Call it a pirate story if you wish, but to me it's about David finding the life that he wants, which happens to be at sea...

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Understood. I feel the same when reading novels.
These days they are bringing out very similar novels, either that of being a transmigrated young miss with a bad step mum and sister or that of a modern one where a girl is raped and comes back four or so years later as a lawyer and a mum, give or take. They are mostly about revenge and...It's...Repetitive!
I'm not willing to become an author just for reads, you can see that in most of my books that I have little amount of reads. I love my work, I put in effort and to be honest, I think my books aren't a waste of time but...I do know that everyone is different and have already accepted that my books are not for everyone. It does depend upon opinions and personalities and I know the end decision on reading my book or not relies on you.
Summary used to be all you had back in the day, now there's tags and comments, reviews...

Romance is probably my biggest genre in my books, if you don't like that then I might as well say that you might be happier reading another book.

Romance isn't a problem for me - the main genre I read is GL (lesbian romance). I'm also a veteran reader of BL, but I'm pickier about the types I'll read these days.

I'm much more interested in the type of story itself. Romance just means a focus on love. Other than that, the story and the romance elements could be anything.

TLCsDestiny

Romance isn't a problem for me - the main genre I read is GL (lesbian romance). I'm also a veteran reader of BL, but I'm pickier about the types I'll read these days.

I'm much more interested in the type of story itself. Romance just means a focus on love. Other than that, the story and the romance elements could be anything.

I have no GL, I haven't gotten that far in reading yet but I have nothing against it. I started reading yaoi for the first time about three years ago and do have two bl books but one of them seems to not be popular lol. The other one seems to be alright, again it has a secret type of plot that only shows itself closer to the last half of the book, just like a lot of my books do...
What else do you look for?
To be honest, it's harder to get intrigued in a book myself these days because of all the same type of novels that are out there...I did get into the wolf stories too, there's a lot of those on wattpad, but again a lot of them are about being 'rejected' and it's starting to become uninteresting. I do like some ideas and yes, I've used some of them myself but in my own ways.
I guess that's what I'm doing here as well, I'm just doing fairy tales in another way...That's all. It's all around the world if you look, different ways to do one thing...It's everywhere!
Pens...How many different pens are out there!?
Notebooks, chairs, tables...
I am just doing a fairy tale in another way...
*shrugs*
...Yeah...

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I have no GL, I haven't gotten that far in reading yet but I have nothing against it. I started reading yaoi for the first time about three years ago and do have two bl books but one of them seems to not be popular lol. The other one seems to be alright, again it has a secret type of plot that only shows itself closer to the last half of the book, just like a lot of my books do...
What else do you look for?
To be honest, it's harder to get intrigued in a book myself these days because of all the same type of novels that are out there...I did get into the wolf stories too, there's a lot of those on wattpad, but again a lot of them are about being 'rejected' and it's starting to become uninteresting. I do like some ideas and yes, I've used some of them myself but in my own ways.
I guess that's what I'm doing here as well, I'm just doing fairy tales in another way...That's all. It's all around the world if you look, different ways to do one thing...It's everywhere!
Pens...How many different pens are out there!?
Notebooks, chairs, tables...
I am just doing a fairy tale in another way...
*shrugs*
...Yeah...

I can't really provide a full list of everything I search for, but I do like fairytales. I particularly like mermaids and the sea.

I'm actually running a fairytale adaptation anthology event for the Yuri Garden here: https://forum.novelupdates.com/blog...ri-garden-collaborative-anthology-event.3927/

Does that mean that this story will have a heterosexual romance, though?

TLCsDestiny

I can't really provide a full list of everything I search for, but I do like fairytales. I particularly like mermaids and the sea.

I'm actually running a fairytale adaptation anthology event for the Yuri Garden here: https://forum.novelupdates.com/blog...ri-garden-collaborative-anthology-event.3927/

Does that mean that this story will have a heterosexual romance, though?

That's really cool...It's a shame I won't be writing Yuri for a while. (I'd rather read a few books before writing about something. For the most part, I only write of what I know, so I probably won't have yuri books for a long time.)

Ah yes, boy-girl, the pirate girl has already been written in 'Cid Rellah', so even if I wanted boy-boy, I can't change it now...Even the next one is boy-girl (Beauty and the beast), maybe I can come to some sort of arrangement with the one after that though...Not sure...

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
That's really cool...It's a shame I won't be writing Yuri for a while. (I'd rather read a few books before writing about something. For the most part, I only write of what I know, so I probably won't have yuri books for a long time.)

Ah yes, boy-girl, the pirate girl has already been written in 'Cid Rellah', so even if I wanted boy-boy, I can't change it now...Even the next one is boy-girl (Beauty and the beast), maybe I can come to some sort of arrangement with the one after that though...Not sure...

This one probably isn't for me, then. For some reason "His Little Pirate" had me thinking that this would be a BL novel. Maybe because the title it's referencing originally refers to the main character?

But thank you for telling me about your novel so that I could decide. And good luck with your writing~!

TLCsDestiny

This one probably isn't for me, then. For some reason "His Little Pirate" had me thinking that this would be a BL novel. Maybe because the title it's referencing originally refers to the main character?

But thank you for telling me about your novel so that I could decide. And good luck with your writing~!

Yeah, was just an idea for a title that's all. No bl in this book.
Np and thx :)
My boy-boy novel is here if you wanted to check it out...

TLCsDestiny

...Can I close this thread? Or is that something only Tony can do?