I have found the secret to writing long novels!

doravg

103/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Write two projects at the same time. One more light-hearted, and the other one with light comedic undertones, but with the setting that will be resolved in the sequel. Today is the third day in a row, where I crank up 9k words. I don't know why, but I don't feel as tired after 9k and about 600 words on top, as I do after 10k, and about 600 words on top. Honestly, 5k written unceasingly are more tiring than 9k words. :sweating_profusely:

It also helps to split your writing sessions into 3k word ones. I watch What we do in the shadows (Vampire comedy) between the sessions.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Write two projects at the same time. One more light-hearted, and the other one with light comedic undertones, but with the setting that will be resolved in the sequel. Today is the third day in a row, where I crank up 9k words. I don't know why, but I don't feel as tired after 9k and about 600 words on top, as I do after 10k, and about 600 words on top. Honestly, 5k written unceasingly are more tiring than 9k words. :sweating_profusely:

It also helps to split your writing sessions into 3k word ones. I watch What we do in the shadows (Vampire comedy) between the sessions.
I only do 600 words a session.
e7e82f89118bf7e0fe231205874092f0.jpg

doravg

I only do 600 words a session.View attachment 15335
Get a 4thewords account, and start doing quests. You will find that, even if you write 9k words per day, you will still be able to clear out only about three quests per day. Get only two-three treasure chests. And there will always be someone in the forum, who has cranked up 20k words today. Sometimes, that someone won't be in the forum, but in your friend list. :blob_cookie:

Snowyflakes

Currently, I am working on two projects. And it's a little easier and better when it comes to my mental health. Because it used to bother me greatly that I sometimes did not have the inspiration to write for the first one. However, now, when this happens, I can work on my second project. It helps and gives me a lot of satisfaction.

Another thing that helped me was to write the scenes I visualize in my mind when it does. Even though they are from chapter 31 (let's say), and I had recently posted chapter 9. In addition, planning the book beforehand helped me to better organize and structure my thoughts and ideas. Also, usually, ideas or details for a chapter or scene come to me suddenly. So, if I already have a scheme, I am able to write it down and review it later (when I write that chapter or scene). Basically, this helped me not forget that specific idea or detail. I hope this makes sense :blob_sweat: (I am so tired :sweat_smile:).

minionlover

I envy your prowess.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I only do 600 words a session.
Let's see . . . how many words do I do per session? 0 words per day divided by 0 sessions . . .

Hey Siri, what's zero divided by zero?

Siri:
Imagine that you have zero energy and you split it evenly among zero hours of peace and quiet. How many words per session do you write? See? It doesn't make sense. And your child needs more milk now, and you are sad because you have to spend more money on diapers.

doravg

I feel like I'm Patrick Rothfuss, and you're Brandon Sanderson. I wanna eat your liver to gain your writing power.
I might be able to write a lot, but I don't have a lot of readers. Then again, what I write is pretty niche (BL: harem, duo, threesome. And three whole straight books, which were like pulling teeth), and I don't advertise.
Let's see . . . how many words do I do per session? 0 words per day divided by 0 sessions . . .

Hey Siri, what's zero divided by zero?

Siri:
Imagine that you have zero energy and you split it evenly among zero hours of peace and quiet. How many words per session do you write? See? It doesn't make sense. And your child needs more milk now, and you are sad because you have to spend more money on diapers.
How is your kid? Is he one year old, or two now? It is just that, for as long as I have been on this site, you speak about breastfeeding him. And how are you?

Colinllama

I'm very impressed. I managed 1100 words yesterday and felt pleased with myself!

If you can keep up a 9000 word a day tempo, that's a book written every couple of weeks! Amazing!

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Now tell us the secret to writing bad novels.

Snowyflakes

Not giving thought about character development, plot, consistency in these technical matters (or make them boring and/ or cringe) + not caring about grammar, spelling, punctuation, readability, and so on.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Not giving thought about character development, plot, consistency in these technical matters (or make them boring and/ or cringe) + not caring about grammar, spelling, punctuation, readability, and so on.
Wrong

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I would disagree on the premise that 2 stories prevent you from actively writing 1 story. No, the secret to a long story is figuring out how you want it to end and then making the story so expansive that it takes forever to reach the ending. Though make it worthwhile so that you want to further write it.

Last edited:

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
I might be able to write a lot, but I don't have a lot of readers. Then again, what I write is pretty niche (BL: harem, duo, threesome. And three whole straight books, which were like pulling teeth), and I don't advertise.

How is your kid? Is he one year old, or two now? It is just that, for as long as I have been on this site, you speak about breastfeeding him. And how are you?
Okay, this is weird. After saying that I wanted to eat your liver, I somehow managed to get a good amount of writing done in my latest session. Like, seriously, you're a muse, aren't you? How the heck do you do that?

i think there's two definitions of long here: whether it's lengthy in word count or lengthy in time duration.

i feel for the easy way, just write few chapters and procrastinate as long you want but don't drop the story. technically you've written for a long time, even if it's just some bits and pieces.

for the hard part, you need to embrace your inner Chinese and spam 'courting death!' and slapping faces of every young master out there. they're the masters of writing super long novels, from the ancient Romance of Three Kingdoms, Shi Fu Jin Yong and their contemporary scribes.

just look at this title as an example of the pinnacle of their contemporary lit.

best of all, SH sure do love these kinds of stories and will net you a significant readerbase. maybe start by listening to super idol, xue hua piao piao bei feng xiao xiao, chin cheng hanji, bing chilling. don't forget to eat some lao gan ma lah.

Unregistered

You're giving away our secrets! Bwahaha. Just kidding. Glad you shared this. Noticed a lot of young, talented writers this generation

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Get a 4thewords account, and start doing quests. You will find that, even if you write 9k words per day, you will still be able to clear out only about three quests per day. Get only two-three treasure chests. And there will always be someone in the forum, who has cranked up 20k words today. Sometimes, that someone won't be in the forum, but in your friend list. :blob_cookie:
No. It’s an external stimuli that fails to build the true warrior spirit.
You're giving away our secrets! Bwahaha. Just kidding. Glad you shared this. Noticed a lot of young, talented writers this generation
Hi boomer
just make it like Twilight.

Last edited:

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
You can burn out on the long ones so you need a bit of comic relief on the side for when you want to write but you don't want to write that one. I do it. Probably not all that productive after all but hey, this is supposed to be fun, it's not a job