I Invite Everyone

Arkus86

I thought it wouldn't be so obvious :blob_whistle_two:

But, honestly, the thread wasn't supposed to attract worldbuilders as so, and I'm infinitely grateful to those who joined me at building the steampunk world of the future, but it was supposed to make people share characters, locations, or stories that they would like to read about. I've always wanted to write something that would make as many people as possible very happy with seeing a hero or a plot thet they've always dreamed to see in a book of some kind. I'm somehow sure there are many talented people who create characters, places, or storylines, but don't know where to apply them, and I've always wanted to help them with this, writing a book with their ideas included.
I would love to help with characters and storylines just as much as I suck at making them. I can have broad ideas, but when it comes to specific characteristics, events and backstories, I draw blanks more often than not :blob_no:

I had this idea for a character, a sort of mysterious scout, experinced and well equiped that occasionally crosses paths with the MC and might drop cryptic advice and bits of knowledge, (and might or might not be related to the MC in some way) but I imagine that's not much to work with.

Draculus-del-Viafat

I had this idea for a character, a sort of mysterious scout, experinced and well equiped that occasionally crosses paths with the MC and might drop cryptic advice and bits of knowledge, (and might or might not be related to the MC in some way) but I imagine that's not much to work with.
Why, given that our MC's gonna go look for the truth behind her past that she couldn't recall for some reason, a mysterious character is something we'll need.

Draculus-del-Viafat

And now I wonder if it's essential to mention a strategy of super-mega-duper cheap and effective water cleaning technique in details, because I'm no good at chemistry, neither at engineering or technologies, so I'd rather just mention the method itself, but not dig deeper than that. Will it be alright?

Kldran

And now I wonder if it's essential to mention a strategy of super-mega-duper cheap and effective water cleaning technique in details, because I'm no good at chemistry, neither at engineering or technologies, so I'd rather just mention the method itself, but not dig deeper than that. Will it be alright?
I think how much detail is needed depends on how much detail the characters are likely to know and talk about. It's usually unnecessary to provide more detail than the characters themselves are aware of.

Draculus-del-Viafat

Hey people, could someone help me with finding a right word, please? I'm trying to find a synonym for the adjective "street", meaning something related to the wild and criminal street life.

Last edited:

Nerothemajin

A world where people have invented weapons like mechanical gloves with extraordinary abilities thanks to a recently discovered material, that is a source unlimited energy. They could use weapons like those for gang wars

Draculus-del-Viafat

A world where people have invented weapons like mechanical gloves with extraordinary abilities thanks to a recently discovered material, that is a source unlimited energy. They could use weapons like those for gang wars
I doubt there is a source of an unlimited energy somewhere on Earth, but I got you)

Nerothemajin

I doubt there is a source of an unlimited energy somewhere on Earth, but I got you)
It's fantasy, you could say it's not from the earth but from space that fell on the earth during the ancient times and got found aeons later. Or even better that the planet itself is not the earth but everyone on the planet thinks it is.

Draculus-del-Viafat

It's fantasy, you could say it's not from the earth but from space that fell on the earth during the ancient times and got found aeons later. Or even better that the planet itself is not the earth but everyone on the planet thinks it is.
Oh well, the point is that the planet is actually Earth :blob_melt: And I'm also not sure if energy, especially one of that kind, unlimited and everything, will suit the steampunk world, 'cause the world uses steam power for creating elecricity afterall... I don't know.

Draculus-del-Viafat

You need a super dupper cool villain, someone likable and killable. Someone hiding from the shadows.
I think I have got an outline of him already, though not very clear. I'm doing my best) But wait, did you mean hiding IN the shadows?..

Arkus86

Distillation is one idea I already mentioned, as that's fairly good at removing physical impurities. Also filtering, aside from regular filters, activated charcoal is quite good at removing toxins and not that hard to make. Ozone is also an option, it's in use since the beginning of 20th century apparently so at least some settlements might have the tech to make it.
Generally though, I agree with @Kldran , particularly if the characters are the ones doing most of the explaining, it makes sense to explain only as much as the characters know.
Hey people, could someone help me with finding a right word, please? I'm trying to find a synonym for the adjective "street", meaning something related to the wild and criminal street life.
No synonyms come to mind, but some alternatives could be found depending on the context it is used in - who is the speaker, and what is their opinion on the matter? The people of your story could have even adopted their own term for them over the years since the apocalypse.
Someone hiding from the shadows.
Hiding from the shadows? A villain literally afraid of shadows? That could make for an interesting quirk :blob_evil_two: Or maybe the shadows refer to a group that would really like to dispose of said villain, if they could get to him/her/it? :blob_hmm_two: Someone the villain accidetally pissed off in the past? A sort of secret police?
On that note, we really need a secret police.
Aaand now I recalled this music
Also the authors of the music seem to have a simple story developind behind the music that they put in the description of their videos, maybe it could spark some inspiration?

Draculus-del-Viafat

Generally though, I agree with @Kldran , particularly if the characters are the ones doing most of the explaining, it makes sense to explain only as much as the characters know.
I think I'd better stop here.

No synonyms come to mind, but some alternatives could be found depending on the context it is used in - who is the speaker, and what is their opinion on the matter? The people of your story could have even adopted their own term for them over the years since the apocalypse.
Actually, I guess I've already found a solution - not using the adjective "street" and just making things a bit simpler. Sometimes being lazy is useful :blob_melt:

On that note, we really need a secret police.
Now that's rings a bell... I've thought of something like this... God help me forget nothing of what I think about.

Also the authors of the music seem to have a simple story developind behind the music that they put in the description of their videos, maybe it could spark some inspiration?
Nice thought, I'll look for some music pieces.

Arkus86

Now I need to write down this budding idea before I forget it,or decide it's not worth mentioning agian.

Basically the secret police infiltrated the gang. At first disrupted some minor operations to weaken the gang and stretch it's resources. Then some more important people start disappearing (the secret police grabbed them). The power vacuum could allow the agents to rise higher in the gang, not to mention the information gained from interrogation. It could end with the gang being dismantled in a single large-scale operation (or most of it, some could remain and start secretly rebuilding the gang, whether the MC knows about them or not at the time).
Maybe the MC was out on her search when this was happening, and only learned about this from another gang member she met out there, or when she returned to the city.
Or it could be she just barely avoided capture in the operation ond only after that decided to begin the search - when processing all of that over some drink in a bar, or randomly wandering the streets lost in thought? Maybe it could be something said by the mysterious character that got her to leave the city and start searching?
This could also be an incentive for a revenge plot in the future.

Anyway, it probably reads like a mess and I don't know if it fits your ideas, but here it is.

Draculus-del-Viafat

Now I need to write down this budding idea before I forget it,or decide it's not worth mentioning agian.

Basically the secret police infiltrated the gang. At first disrupted some minor operations to weaken the gang and stretch it's resources. Then some more important people start disappearing (the secret police grabbed them). The power vacuum could allow the agents to rise higher in the gang, not to mention the information gained from interrogation. It could end with the gang being dismantled in a single large-scale operation (or most of it, some could remain and start secretly rebuilding the gang, whether the MC knows about them or not at the time).
Maybe the MC was out on her search when this was happening, and only learned about this from another gang member she met out there, or when she returned to the city.
Or it could be she just barely avoided capture in the operation ond only after that decided to begin the search - when processing all of that over some drink in a bar, or randomly wandering the streets lost in thought? Maybe it could be something said by the mysterious character that got her to leave the city and start searching?
This could also be an incentive for a revenge plot in the future.

Anyway, it probably reads like a mess and I don't know if it fits your ideas, but here it is.
Okay, great, I'll see what I can do with this) I'm starting to form the outlines of the secret police and I think it could be some sort of inquisition squads patroling the streets in searching for illegal businessmen, outlaws, or, as you said, dealing with gangs that are rival to those the governments works with.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
I think I have got an outline of him already, though not very clear. I'm doing my best) But wait, did you mean hiding IN the shadows?..
Someone freakishly normal outside but his craziness lies behind the insides. Hiding in the shadows- metaphorically a puppeteer. V for vendetta level. Nevertheless, this one is not an anti-hero. Not grotesque at least.

Draculus-del-Viafat

Someone freakishly normal outside but his craziness lies behind the insides. Hiding in the shadows- metaphorically a puppeteer. V for vendetta level. Nevertheless, this one is not an anti-hero. Not grotesque at least.
Okay, I got it. It's very close to the character I've been thinking about.

Draculus-del-Viafat

Let's say our story is set in the very distant future, right? In theory, could different climate, geological, and political changes influence the appearance of a new country? Surely, it'll be based on some countries and probably take after them, but it'll still be different and independent, have its own government system and everything?
I've watched a few videos and looked at a few maps that describe earth continents if all ice melted, and the very possible future of the continents due to the geological changes, meaning how the landmasses would move and therefore change the modern look of Earth. And I thought... Could it be possible for a new country to appear in the very distant steampunk dystopian future, the country that I could use to set the story in, so it'll be more confortable to operate with. Like... Like Gotham, the city that exists near real cities, but not for real?