I Invite Everyone

Arkus86

Let's say our story is set in the very distant future, right? In theory, could different climate, geological, and political changes influence the appearance of a new country? Surely, it'll be based on some countries and probably take after them, but it'll still be different and independent, have its own government system and everything?
I've watched a few videos and looked at a few maps that describe earth continents if all ice melted, and the very possible future of the continents due to the geological changes, meaning how the landmasses would move and therefore change the modern look of Earth. And I thought... Could it be possible for a new country to appear in the very distant steampunk dystopian future, the country that I could use to set the story in, so it'll be more confortable to operate with. Like... Like Gotham, the city that exists near real cities, but not for real?
Geopolitical changes are deffinitely possible. Natural landmass shift would take very, very long time to be really noticeable though.
Supervolacnoes and powerful weapons could also change landscape to a limited extent (possibly with resulting volcanic/nuclear winter), and if we're talking about distant future, large-scale landscaping could have an effect as well.
The wars, civil wars and disasters would certainly see some governmets rise and fall. Power vacuum would allow new nations to form, maybe nomads would emerge as well, if they could secure all necessities on their travels, by trade, raiding or being fully self-sufficient. Major corporations carving out some land for themselves is also possible, athough question is how they would transform over time if they survived to the 'present day' of the story.

Draculus-del-Viafat

Geopolitical changes are deffinitely possible. Natural landmass shift would take very, very long time to be really noticeable though.
Supervolacnoes and powerful weapons could also change landscape to a limited extent (possibly with resulting volcanic/nuclear winter), and if we're talking about distant future, large-scale landscaping could have an effect as well.
The wars, civil wars and disasters would certainly see some governmets rise and fall. Power vacuum would allow new nations to form, maybe nomads would emerge as well, if they could secure all necessities on their travels, by trade, raiding or being fully self-sufficient. Major corporations carving out some land for themselves is also possible, athough question is how they would transform over time if they survived to the 'present day' of the story.
Now the question rises - on what country's base should I create a new country, or should I better not mention the exact location of it so I don't irritate readers from those countries I decide to have as a base for my own country? I just fear that ruling over some countries' future is not... In my power, if you know what I mean. So instead of altering the governing system of the USA, for instance, or Canada, or European countries, I'd rather say there is another country, new and fresh, with its own rules and laws that are totally under my control and imagination.

Arkus86

Now the question rises - on what country's base should I create a new country, or should I better not mention the exact location of it so I don't irritate readers from those countries I decide to have as a base for my own country? I just fear that ruling over some countries' future is not... In my power, if you know what I mean. So instead of altering the governing system of the USA, for instance, or Canada, or European countries, I'd rather say there is another country, new and fresh, with its own rules and laws that are totally under my control and imagination.
I feel it might be better to have at least a general idea of where the story is taking place, whether you clearly mention it or not.
What you could do though, is populate the Earth with new countries, some of which, might be loosely based on their current counterparts, but have the specific knowledge of what happened to current countries disappear or just avoid mentioning it in detail.
That said, a lot can happen in the far-off future, and few of today's counrties did not go through some major changes in the past few centuries.

Draculus-del-Viafat

I feel it might be better to have at least a general idea of where the story is taking place, whether you clearly mention it or not.
What you could do though, is populate the Earth with new countries, some of which, might be loosely based on their current counterparts, but have the specific knowledge of what happened to current countries disappear or just avoid mentioning it in detail.
That said, a lot can happen in the far-off future, and few of today's counrties did not go through some major changes in the past few centuries.
I don't think I'm brave enough to alter the whole political map :blob_melt: Maybe I just have to be as careful as possible about manipulaing with other countries' futures and fates.

Arkus86

I don't think I'm brave enough to alter the whole political map :blob_melt: Maybe I just have to be as careful as possible about manipulaing with other countries' futures and fates.
Well, technically you only need to consider the area relevant to the story, not sure why I immediately jumped to the whole world :blob_happy: