I just began posting my work. I got like 50 new page views this week, but zero reviews. Is this normal?

yuki2501

I fear that my first chapter is not very appealing to people so they just stop reading, but I have at least half of readers for chapter 2 compared to chapter 1. So why are most of my readers' bookmarks still on chapter 1? I don't understand :blob_frown:

And why don't I have even bad reviews, like "your chapter sucks" or "this is boring"?

Is this normal for new works? Any feedback appreciated.

J_Chemist

I'm at 70 chapters. I have 3 reviews on RR and 0 on SH. Other people have less chapters and far more reviews. I also just hit 50 Readers here on SH within the last week.

It all depends on your readers and also you. There are several individuals who will review your work if you ask and more who will do review swaps. You just need to ask if you want it.

I don't ask. I prefer to just let it happen if/when it happens. Kind of like a surprise treat, I guess.

Edit: Just to add. Some readers like to binge. So they'll start reading, mark your story, and then come back later when you've published a certain number of chapters. Like every 5, 10, or 20 chapters. Don't fret. Happens a lot.

D

Deleted member 54065

I fear that my first chapter is not very appealing to people so they just stop reading, but I have at least half of readers for chapter 2 compared to chapter 1. So why are most of my readers' bookmarks still on chapter 1? I don't understand :blob_frown:

And why don't I have even bad reviews, like "your chapter sucks" or "this is boring"?

Is this normal for new works? Any feedback appreciated.
Yep, pretty much normal. If you want feedback on your works, there are users here who offer free 1st chapter reviews.

Otherwise, a review in this site is rare. That doesn't mean your work is bad though. SH readers are mostly just silent.

Aiyoki

I got a review. Sadly the reviewer appears to have that "hatrs gonna hate" kind of vibe and just review bombed my story for the hell of it instead of actually trying to understand/interpret/think about what the story and its context has brought to light.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀

D

Deleted member 54065

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I feel more at peace now. :s_smile:
If you want reviews, or some sort of feedback, you can try posting (consistently) in Honeyfeed.

Or if you want to determine if you'll truly want a career in writing (and pick some trauma in the process), post in RoyalRoad.

Kenjona

Some of us place a story into their "maybe" list to read at some other point in time.

avaseofpeonies

your cool weird auntie
I can share some observations I've made in my time here.

1. Commenting seems to happen mostly between people who are familiar with each other, so try to make some friends.

2. Put a link to your story in your signature here so we don't have to stalk you to check out your story. (I totally did, and it looks interesting, and I put you in my TBR list (don't get excited, I have like, 10,000 miles of TBR list, but I'll try to get there)).

3. After reading your story's description, I must warn you that if you plan to have any M/M romantic interaction, even if it doesn't get explicit, you should tag that or mention it blatantly and prominently somewhere, or the straights will have tantrums (although here on SH it's less "tantrums" and more passive-aggressive stuff like putting you in a dropped list, which is... nicer than other places.) You are likely to get slapped with a 1-star rating for surprise M/M.

4. With LGBTQ+ content, you'll get a lot of "ghost readers". This is an international site, and a lot of folks still have to be very careful, so they probably don't even have SH accounts, no reading lists, and you'll get no interaction at all from them. You'll just see your read numbers accumulate, and smile to yourself and hope they're enjoying it. A lot of them are using VPNs and you'll see a lot of (empty) in your traffic list. That's them.

5. That list where you can see readers' chapter progression only includes people who've put you in a public reading list. If they put you in a private list your reader count will go up, but they won't appear there. Try not to get too hung up on all that. I have "81 readers" on my novel, but only about 3-4 of those are actively reading, and then I have a bunch of "ghost readers" - impossible to tell how many. And then there are the people who chucked me directly into a dropped list, but that still adds to thetotal reader count (mwahahaha).

Last edited:

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
A lot of readers have to manually update what chapter they're on and just don't know that. You'll see a few people on these forums asking why their chapter number isn't updating. So it's probably just that and people marking your story for later.

I only have two reviews myself, so I think it's probably normal.

proxybaba

I have the same doubt
i kept updating in both site, RR and Sh, till chapter 50
there was no review for a long time but comments started pouring as three readers started discussing chapter in comments in SH, every single comment from the reader made me excited and the sudden review as 5 star left me giggling for a whole day.

so don’t do review swaps, wait for surprise to happen to you.
keep the consistent update and your efforts will reward you

Arkares

I'm more or less on the same boat. From what I've seen, that is actually pretty normal. Reviews come when you have not only several chapters but a decent amount of readers. I would not worry too much about it.

Aaqil

Cookies!
A lot of readers have to manually update what chapter they're on and just don't know that. You'll see a few people on these forums asking why their chapter number isn't updating.
People still do that? :blob_frown: :blob_cookie:
I thought everyone had turned auto-update on, on the lists they want it on, :blob_cookie: