I just found a weird bug(?)

K_Jira

I'm not sure if this happens to anyone else or only on my device, so I don't know if I should post this in bug reports.

I've been editing my chapters through my phone recently since I've been quite busy and I can't really edit my story through my laptop. I always wrote around 1.5k words per chapter but then every time I saved my draft, the word count in scribble hub would only be around 1.4k. The gap was around 50 - 80 words.

So I tried bulk editing my chapters into drafts through my phone and updated them through my laptop. All of them fixed themselves into the correct word count after I re-updated them without editing anything.

Has anyone ever encountered this issue before?

MajorKerina

Yep I get that a lot transferring from Phone to desktop style formatting. I redo the pagination and that’s usually where a lot of the character variation occurs in how the words are counted.

Caivy

Hmm, haven't encountered this issue before. Maybe because I only use PC. I guess that suck that you have to reformat it again on the desktop instead of just working fine using mobile.

K_Jira

Yep I get that a lot transferring from Phone to desktop style formatting. I redo the pagination and that’s usually where a lot of the character variation occurs in how the words are counted.
So the site basically has a different way of counting the words in mobile and pc?

Hmm, haven't encountered this issue before. Maybe because I only use PC. I guess that suck that you have to reformat it again on the desktop instead of just working fine using mobile.
Yeah…I can't gauge how much I can add or take out in my chapters. I don't want to go past 1.6k or lower than 1480 words.

Caivy

Yeah…I can't gauge how much I can add or take out in my chapters. I don't want to go past 1.6k or lower than 1480 words.
It's probably because the sites is still new and there's gonna be bugs.

Caivy

I'm not so sure that 4 years of existence qualifies as "new", :blob_cookie:
Yep I would say it's still new compare to other sites but for sure scribble hub is growing. Let hope that when there's more user the community is still good as it is now.

MajorKerina

It’s weird because sometimes the word count actually increases depending on the encoding. Wherever possible I try to strip it down to plain text so there’s not garbage characters or anything like that being counted and I get an accurate word count. It tends to be a problem going from some word processing programs and websites to others. There was an issue I believe about a year or so ago where for the life of me I couldn’t figure out why paragraph breaks were disappearing when using the website editor. Tony fixed it rather easily fortunately but that was an odd glitch.

K_Jira

It’s weird because sometimes the word count actually increases depending on the encoding. Wherever possible I try to strip it down to plain text so there’s not garbage characters or anything like that being counted and I get an accurate word count. It tends to be a problem going from some word processing programs and websites to others. There was an issue I believe about a year or so ago where for the life of me I couldn’t figure out why paragraph breaks were disappearing when using the website editor. Tony fixed it rather easily fortunately but that was an odd glitch.
I also had paragraph breaks disappearing but then I found that it happened if I paste my story and erase everything. When I re-paste it, the paragraph breaks would disappear. It's still like that until now though.