I laugh at my writing, don’t you laugh at yours?

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Not the mocking kind that is. As someone who inspires to be a better writer and very much a beginner, I’ve written so many different stories and stopped them all. Which means my appreciation for my writing is at the bottom. But now that I’ve finally reached more than ten chapters of a story without dropping it, I look back at the highlight of my writing.

And god damn it, if my readers won’t tell me, I will! I think my jokes are funny (sometimes)! Is that normal or am I just conceited? Isn’t it a good thing to laugh at it? Doesn’t it make you immersed?! Sorry just wanted to post and see other people’s responses!

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Jokes are like cooking your own food. It tastes better when you're the one constructing it, whipping up the ingredients and putting time/soul/effort into it. Not much for the other guy, if your tastes don't align.

I don't laugh at my own jokes, because the process of making said joke had dulled me from its humour. But I do appreciate when the other guys make a laugh out of it.

And no, laughing at your own joke doesn't mean you suck your own dick. It just means you know what you want and can easily entertain yourself, for better or worse.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
I do. If I write some crazy stuff, I laugh at it, and then worry that people won't see it the same way I do. Luckily, people did find it as funny as I did, so it did give me confidence that if I find it funny, others might as well. But just in case, I still get feedback for my roughs regardless, just to be safe.

I even do some writing for my own personal enjoyment, like this application I "filled out" just so I can laugh at it. I guess it was a way to practice filling out a job application, to reduce stress, and practice my joke writing skills. I find it hilarious but didn't intend to actually make it public because other people may think it's dumb or something. It was just for my own enjoyment.

We're looking for motivated, hard working individuals to join our team.
> And also pushovers, slaves, and those who are willing to give up their free will.

APPLY NOW
> Because you can't survive from the government teat forever

Responsibilities:
> AKA, do all the work for us.

- Excellent customer service
> So the manager doesn't have to.

- Taking orders and handling cash (POS system)
> If only we can hire a monkey for this, we would

- Serving soft-serve ice cream, milkshakes, tea, and preparing toppings
> For low pay and you can't take any home for free either

- Stocking of front-end supplies
> Be in the back and don't talk to anyone

- Inventory check and request
> And taking the blame when the manager forgot to order something important.

- Cleaning and maintaining equipment and service areas
> When the manager is actually paying attention.

- Opening/closing store
> At random, without warning, notified one hour before your planned shift starts.

- Running daily reports
> A job for the manager, but sure, it's not like I have a life or anything.

Requirements:

- Clean, professional, positive, energetic individual who enjoys working as part of a team
> Unlike the manager

- Incredibly friendly, continually reliable, customer-focused, absolutely dedicated
> Even if you have to fake it.

- Ability to learn quickly and follow detailed instruction/direction
> Like a good robot should

- High attention to detail, speed and accuracy
> Without expecting the pay that goes with it

- Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
> Even though we'll pay you as if you are an illegal immigrant

- Flexible schedule and weekends, holidays required
> Don't bother with that foolish thing called "having a life"

- California Food Handler Certificate is required once hired
> Even though we won't check or maybe even forget this exists.

Job training:
> PFFFT!

Date and time will be confirmed
> Or when the manager feels like it, which is never.

JOB APPLICATION
> Yeah, yeah. Alright, fine.

Name: [redacted]

Phone: [redacted]

Email Address: [redacted]

Address: [redacted]

Why are you applying?
> Well, I did want to work with ice cream, but maybe I shouldn't work here based on the glassdoor reviews for your company. However, I'll give you a chance since we're both desperate. I mean, who wants to do absolutely nothing and still get paid by the government weekly far more than a minimum wage job could possibly give you in a month's time? How silly of people to not get a soul sucking job right now when they are so abundant.

Well, anyways, I want to work with ice cream because after working for a decade in the food industry, I really want to work in a cool place, like literally, cold. It's so dang hot in Los Angeles. Yeah, and, uh, you know, work experience, trying to build my business, learn about people skills, the usual. I need cash, but I'll be realistic and just expect minimum wage, which is like $14, but hey, drop me $15 will you? Unless you expect me to work at night, in which case, you better pony up, making me go home at midnight in the ghetto, which is the only place I can afford if you're going to be paltry with the pay.

What type of position are you looking for?: Full time, Part time
> Might as well go with full time. I mean, this isn't a choice, you want a full time person, I know it. Nobody wants to work right now, you should be lucky I still have these morals that keep me from being lazy and just living off the government. But hey, at least it's not at night, even though you're going to make me.

Which position are you applying for? HR, Marketing Analyst, Accounting, Store Manager
> Wow, what choices! Let me pull out my very prestigious and highly academic GED and you tell me which of these greatly valued positions you think is right for my overqualified credentials!

If hired, can you present evidence of your U. S. citizenship or proof of your legal right to live and work in the United States?:
> Ha! As if you care. In fact, you probably want some illegal immigrant. I mean, what are they going to do if they complain? File a report with the authorities?

If hired, do you have a reliable means of transportation to and from work?:
> Yeah, peddling my ass off in my bike in the burning sun of Los Angeles, where summer overstays its welcome. I would get an Uber, but my entire paycheck would be eaten up by the time I get the next one. As for public transportation, I'd rather not get some undiscovered disease far worse than Covid from that petri dish known as the bus.

Do you have a valid Food Handlers Certificate?:
> Does one from 2002 count? No? Fine, I'll get a recent one.

Are you at least 18 years old?:
> Yeah.

Can you provide a valid workers permit?:
> I just said I'm over 18. Why is this question included if you answer yes to the previous one. See, this is why you hire professionals to make your online application instead of making me copy and paste this into notepad.

Have you ever been convicted of a crime (other than as stated above or vehicle code infractions)?:
> No.

Have you ever pleaded nolo contendere (or no contest) to a crime (other than as stated above or vehicle code infractions)?:
> No.

Are you currently out of jail on bail or on your own recognizance, or the subject of any pending criminal investigation or proceeding (other than as stated above or vehicle code infractions)? :
> No.

Have you been the subject of any civil action alleging fraud, dishonesty, misrepresentation, theft, misappropriation, or violations related to trade secrets or confidential information during the last seven years?:
> Okay, what's with these questions? Jeez, what kind of employees have you gotten in the past? Oh wait, I'm applying in a location in Los Angeles. Alright, I gotcha. The answer is no.

Please, enter and upload in the format above.
> You call this a format?

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
I do. If I write some crazy stuff, I laugh at it, and then worry that people won't see it the same way I do. Luckily, people did find it as funny as I did, so it did give me confidence that if I find it funny, others might as well. But just in case, I still get feedback for my roughs regardless, just to be safe.

I even do some writing for my own personal enjoyment, like this application I "filled out" just so I can laugh at it. I guess it was a way to practice filling out a job application, to reduce stress, and practice my joke writing skills. I find it hilarious but didn't intend to actually make it public. It was just for my own enjoyment.

We're looking for motivated, hard working individuals to join our team.
> And also pushovers, slaves, and those who are willing to give up their free will.

APPLY NOW
> Because you can't survive from the government teat forever

Responsibilities:
> AKA, do all the work for us.

- Excellent customer service
> So the manager doesn't have to.

- Taking orders and handling cash (POS system)
> If only we can hire a monkey for this, we would

- Serving soft-serve ice cream, milkshakes, tea, and preparing toppings
> For low pay and you can't take any home for free either

- Stocking of front-end supplies
> Be in the back and don't talk to anyone

- Inventory check and request
> And taking the blame when the manager forgot to order something important.

- Cleaning and maintaining equipment and service areas
> When the manager is actually paying attention.

- Opening/closing store
> At random, without warning, notified one hour before your planned shift starts.

- Running daily reports
> A job for the manager, but sure, it's not like I have a life or anything.

Requirements:

- Clean, professional, positive, energetic individual who enjoys working as part of a team
> Unlike the manager

- Incredibly friendly, continually reliable, customer-focused, absolutely dedicated
> Even if you have to fake it.

- Ability to learn quickly and follow detailed instruction/direction
> Like a good robot should

- High attention to detail, speed and accuracy
> Without expecting the pay that goes with it

- Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
> Even though we'll pay you as if you are an illegal immigrant

- Flexible schedule and weekends, holidays required
> Don't bother with that foolish thing called "having a life"

- California Food Handler Certificate is required once hired
> Even though we won't check or maybe even forget this exists.

Job training:
> PFFFT!

Date and time will be confirmed
> Or when the manager feels like it, which is never.

JOB APPLICATION
> Yeah, yeah. Alright, fine.

Name: [redacted]

Phone: [redacted]

Email Address: [redacted]

Address: [redacted]

Why are you applying?
> Well, I did want to work with ice cream, but maybe I shouldn't work here based on the glassdoor reviews for your company. However, I'll give you a chance since we're both desperate. I mean, who wants to do absolutely nothing and still get paid by the government weekly far more than a minimum wage job could possibly give you in a month's time? How silly of people to not get a soul sucking job right now when they are so abundant.

Well, anyways, I want to work with ice cream because after working for a decade in the food industry, I really want to work in a cool place, like literally, cold. It's so dang hot in Los Angeles. Yeah, and, uh, you know, work experience, trying to build my business, learn about people skills, the usual. I need cash, but I'll be realistic and just expect minimum wage, which is like $14, but hey, drop me $15 will you? Unless you expect me to work at night, in which case, you better pony up, making me go home at midnight in the ghetto, which is the only place I can afford if you're going to be paltry with the pay.

What type of position are you looking for?: Full time, Part time
> Might as well go with full time. I mean, this isn't a choice, you want a full time person, I know it. Nobody wants to work right now, you should be lucky I still have these morals that keep me from being lazy and just living off the government. But hey, at least it's not at night, even though you're going to make me.

Which position are you applying for? HR, Marketing Analyst, Accounting, Store Manager
> Wow, what choices! Let me pull out my very prestigious and highly academic GED and you tell me which of these greatly valued positions you think is right for my overqualified credentials!

If hired, can you present evidence of your U. S. citizenship or proof of your legal right to live and work in the United States?:
> Ha! As if you care. In fact, you probably want some illegal immigrant. I mean, what are they going to do if they complain? File a report with the authorities?

If hired, do you have a reliable means of transportation to and from work?:
> Yeah, peddling my ass off in my bike in the burning sun of Los Angeles, where summer overstays its welcome. I would get an Uber, but my entire paycheck would be eaten up by the time I get the next one. As for public transportation, I'd rather not get some undiscovered disease far worse than Covid from that petri dish known as the bus.

Do you have a valid Food Handlers Certificate?:
> Does one from 2002 count? No? Fine, I'll get a recent one.

Are you at least 18 years old?:
> Yeah.

Can you provide a valid workers permit?:
> I just said I'm over 18. Why is this question included if you answer yes to the previous one. See, this is why you hire professionals to make your online application instead of making me copy and paste this into notepad.

Have you ever been convicted of a crime (other than as stated above or vehicle code infractions)?:
> No.

Have you ever pleaded nolo contendere (or no contest) to a crime (other than as stated above or vehicle code infractions)?:
> No.

Are you currently out of jail on bail or on your own recognizance, or the subject of any pending criminal investigation or proceeding (other than as stated above or vehicle code infractions)? :
> No.

Have you been the subject of any civil action alleging fraud, dishonesty, misrepresentation, theft, misappropriation, or violations related to trade secrets or confidential information during the last seven years?:
> Okay, what's with these questions? Jeez, what kind of employees have you gotten in the past? Oh wait, I'm applying in a location in Los Angeles. Alright, I gotcha. The answer is no.

Please, enter and upload in the format above.
> You call this a format?
Hahaha I read it and it's quite funny!

Great that other thinks so too. I mean I’m fine with my readers not engaging too much by commenting, I was more or less wondering if other authors think so too. Is it like that with other emotions as well? Such as anger or sadness?

EternalSunset0

Great that other thinks so too. I mean I’m fine with my readers not engaging too much by commenting, I was more or less wondering if other authors think so too. Is it like that with other emotions as well? Such as anger or sadness?
There are time I reread some scenes and feel really good as I visualize them.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
There are time I reread some scenes and feel really good as I visualize them.
Ah yes completely agree. Honestly as I writer, I hope to gain the trust and love of my readers and then completely crush it by making something tragic happen. Somewhat similar to a novel called The wandering inn. I love that novel and inspire to reach a level like it.

Comedy isn't my strong suit, in all honesty.

I do write some parts that made me lol at times, but I never made it my main point else it stopped being amusing. It's just something spontaneous coming from the process that makes me really dig it.

MoonLight27

Yes, it happens:blobthumbsup:. I wanted to write a tragic incident and I did. While plotting it in my mind, I didn't feel anything, but when I started typing down, I felt that pain!... Maybe because I knew the plot thoroughly or maybe I was so engaged in my own story, but I felt it.

As for jokes, first I do laugh while typing them, but then when I read the preview before posting, I pray that readers won't beat me in their minds:blob_thor: for creating such lame jokes:blob_sweat:

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
Not the mocking kind that is. As someone who inspires to be a better writer and very much a beginner, I’ve written so many different stories and stopped them all. Which means my appreciation for my writing is at the bottom. But now that I’ve finally reached more than ten chapters of a story without dropping it, I look back at the highlight of my writing.

And god damn it, if my readers won’t tell me, I will! I think my jokes are funny (sometimes)! Is that normal or am I just conceited? Isn’t it a good thing to laugh at it? Doesn’t it make you immersed?! Sorry just wanted to post and see other people’s responses!
I seem to only make funny jokes when I don't try hard at them. When I actually try to be funny, it doesn't work.
At least that's what my feedback has been telling me

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I also laugh about my own stuff. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't even realize it comes off as a joke which ... happens more often than I care to admit :blob_sweat: Like, whether it's irl or in my stories, people somehow laugh at stuff where I was completely serious. I don't quite get it but as long as they're in a good mood, it's a win for everyone I guess?

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
If I'm not enjoying my writing I shouldn't expect others to enjoy it. If I don't at least smile at my comedic scene then I scrape it.

Last edited:

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Yes, it happens:blobthumbsup:. I wanted to write a tragic incident and I did. While plotting it in my mind, I didn't feel anything, but when I started typing down, I felt that pain!... Maybe because I knew the plot thoroughly or maybe I was so engaged in my own story, but I felt it.

As for jokes, first I do laugh while typing them, but then when I read the preview before posting, I pray that readers won't beat me in their minds:blob_thor: for creating such lame jokes:blob_sweat:
For me it’s like the opposite, I write the joke and as I read it again I giggle at the genius or stupidity of the joke :blob_hide:
I seem to only make funny jokes when I don't try hard at them. When I actually try to be funny, it doesn't work.
At least that's what my feedback has been telling me
it’s good you’ve got feedback to tell you that, sadly I don’t know if my jokes are funny or not. But god damn it I’m still going to laugh at them!
If I'm not enjoying my writing I shouldn't expect others to enjoy it. If I don't at least smile at my comedic sceme then I scape it.
That’s a good point, you’re completely right. Might just do this once I’ve finished my novel.