I need ideas for this backstory

New_Leaf

Warning: This story kind of contain rape or child abuse

So I've been trying to write a backstory of my mc.

I'm trying to achieve how he became an asshole or a horrible person.

So I started it as him being innocent. (His father left him at a young age and his mother is the only one taking care of him)
He can see his mother overworking himself for him and stuff, however, her mother got into a car accident and got blinded. (Fragment of glass went to her eyes)

Because of this, the mother can't take care of her son anymore so he was sent to an orphanage while the mother was sent to a hospital or a place where a person like her can be taken care of.

The boy then needed to live in the orphanage, however, the caretaker took a liking to his face and tried to rape him. Threatening him that he'll hurt his mother and stuff. But the boy got away, tomorrow that day was the day he'll meet his mother. He thought of telling it to his mother, only to see that his mother's health is slowly deteriorating. (Depression for being a useless mother...) The boy then didn't say what happened to him because he remembered the caretaker's threat and another reason was because he can't take it if her mother's health slowly deteriorated because of him. Like her being worried after what she has done for him.

Time ticked and he was about to go inside the orphanage again but instead of going there, he ran away as far as he could. Not wanting to go back anymore. But because of this, he met a man there.

(So at this point... I'm planning on making the man be the reason why the boy turned horrible)
-My next step here is to... Make the man help the boy imprison the caretaker... However, the boy asked for help again whether he could help his mother to heal her eyesight or what he needs to do to earn money so he could heal her. With this reason, the mc then gets influenced by the man and does horrible things to earn money for his mother

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
Man teaches boy theft, robbery, swindling, and tells him how stupid people he steals from are, that they deserve it. This helps take away any guilt he might feel for doing such things and taking advantage of others. Maybe sprinkle some victimhood delusion while blaming his own victims.

What sort of ideas did you need help with again?

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

So I started it as him being innocent. (His father left him at a young age and his mother is the only one taking care of him)
He can see his mother overworking himself for him and stuff, however, her mother got into a car accident and got blinded. (Fragment of glass went to her eyes)

Because of this, the mother can't take care of her son anymore so he was sent to an orphanage while the mother was sent to a hospital or a place where a person like her can be taken care of.

The boy then needed to live in the orphanage, however, the caretaker took a liking to his face and tried to rape him. Threatening him that he'll hurt his mother and stuff. But the boy got away, tomorrow that day was the day he'll meet his mother. He thought of telling it to his mother, only to see that his mother's health is slowly deteriorating. (Depression for being a useless mother...) The boy then didn't say what happened to him because he remembered the caretaker's threat and another reason was because he can't take it if her mother's health slowly deteriorated because of him. Like her being worried after what she has done for him.

Time ticked and he was about to go inside the orphanage again but instead of going there, he ran away as far as he could. Not wanting to go back anymore. But because of this, he met a man there.

(So at this point... I'm planning on making the man be the reason why the boy turned horrible)
-My next step here is to... Make the man help the boy imprison the caretaker... However, the boy asked for help again whether he could help his mother to heal her eyesight or what he needs to do to earn money so he could heal her. With this reason, the mc then gets influenced by the man and does horrible things to earn money for his mother
Warning: I am high on caffeine, my imagination is very very messed up, so read at your own risk.
man is a rich sadistic serial killer who takes the boy in, planning to make him his toy, but gets entertained by the idea of having a protege, so he adopts the boy, slowly influencing him with a glamorous lifestyle where everything goes. In just two years the boy becomes a perverted spoiled brat who feels omnipotent because of his adopted father's money and influence but then the father pulls the rug under him and makes him hit the streets again. After that this and that happens, the boy kills a prostitute (because why not) and now the rich psycho has the boy by the balls.
I don't know, hmmm, the rich guy gets bored playing father, feels it'd be funny, so he threatens the boy with his mother.
The boy has to follow him unconditionally or the mother will be toast. Say, the rich guy has the boy rape his mom, which breaks the boy so he goes a bit insane, and for that the rich guy gives the boy a sum of money. He may as well rape the boy too.
I imagine this scene: devastated boy lies down on the ground, sobbing quietly. The rich guy slaps the boy with a bundle of cash across the face, leaves. The boy looks at the cash with dead eyes, laughs mirthfully. This is what his and his mom's suffering amounts to now. Tears roll down his face.
Now the rich guy will keep giving the boy quests for which he'll get paid. The boy cannot make money in other ways because the rich guy blocks him.
Eventually rich guy tortures mom to death, commits suicide, wills the boy to inherit everything, the boy follows rich guy's footsteps.
Hmm... The caretaker might as well be solved within the first two years or something. Can replace prostitute with caretaker. Or it can happen sometime after the first quest, when the rich guy gives the boy abtaste of real and perverted power.

Last edited:

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Meh. Adversity usually leads to empathy and having shity parents rarely makes for a situation where someone achieves their full potential.
I already gave my thoughts on this matter in another thread.

FaustVoncleave

You don't need the rapist caretaker, it's gratuitous and doesn't really flow into the strongest plot points enough. The caring mother and the man who raises him in the criminal world after her accident, these are the focal points to center the backstory around. Instead of the caretaker, have the one who caused the mother's accident be a rich asshole who gets away with it because of the corrupt legal system, so the mc is in an orphanage and his mother can't get the care she needs because of this jackass. This gives the mc a big bad to aim for while also putting him in direct confrontation with the systems governing his land. People love a good underdog story, and the helpless civilian against the controlling upper class is a tale as old human history that still never fails to draw people in with its realism. Having him have an opportune meeting with the old man after seeing his mother and reaffirming how f'd up the world is will have the audience forgiving most of what he does, just make sure you're self aware of it.

The protagonist doesn't necessarily have to be self aware, but you as the author do, if you frame it wrong then you'll lose people. With a story like this you usually want to try to frame it as unbaisedly as you can, laying out his actions in a manner close to facts, you can explain his motives but don't try to make it sound like he's right or wrong, leave that to the audience or else they might feel like you're preaching to them. Anyway, I'm kind of overreaching at this point, the beginning is what I think would be good changes to the backstory.

D

Deleted member 54065

You don't need a heavy reason if you want to write an asshole MC. Just make him privileged, that's all there is.

In fact, having the MC go through shit will make him embittered, but he'll be an ass only because he was badly treated by another person. Kind interactions will make his good side surface, particularly empathy. (He's just an ass according to the situation, for short.)

By contrast, a priviledged MC is a natural-born asshole because everything was served to him on a silver plate, so the jackass will think he deserves all that he wants and wishes.

HellerFeed

The man is a murderer who kills people for money.
He shows mc the dark side of the city, where drug abuse, fights, rape, and thievery is rampant. He meet a lot of people who were just downright scum. Mc still tries to keep being nice. The murderer then warns him and lets me stay in his room as a roommate, making him do chores.

Later mc befriends a girl of the same age. Things go nice until the girl suddenly turned out to be just a psycho killer and wanted to abduct mc to sell him to make bucks. Mc gets dragged away by the lunatic girl who later takes him to this brothel where human trafficking was booming.

He faces assault by ugly bastards and thrashed around almost traumatizing him.
Finally, during the auction, the murderer man jumps in with a stinky poison bomb exploding it in the brothel auction hall.
The murderer kills nearly half does audience and jumps into action to defeat other brothel guards.

Thankfully murderer manages to free mc and gives him a weapon.
Mc meets the crazy chic who wants to kill him because her brothel mom died in the poison attack just now.
Mc confronts crazy chic and kills him. He was also attacked by ugly bastard men who had assaulted him, and mc guts them down as well.

Finally after slaughtering everyone mc and the murderer man escape.
Mc finally accepted his new self, the new murder boy!

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

You don't need a heavy reason if you want to write an asshole MC. Just make him privileged, that's all there is.

In fact, having the MC go through shit will make him embittered, but he'll be an ass only because he was badly treated by another person. Kind interactions will make his good side surface, particularly empathy. (He's just an ass according to the situation, for short.)

By contrast, a priviledged MC is a natural-born asshole because everything was served to him on a silver plate, so the jackass will think he deserves all that he wants and wishes.
*Entitled
Not privileged

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
"it only takes one bad day for a man to go insane."

I think that you don't have to go far like getting rape or stuff. Just make it such that while the boy is trying to return home after a tiring day to find work, he ends up running into some thieves that are robbing his home while his mom is trying to stop them. The kid tries to help but ends up being knock back and hitting his head and ends up dying. He would see that while he was losing consciousness, his mother is trying to reach out to him and ends up dead by one thief hitting her head with a bat out of sheer joy of causing pain to a family.

Usually, this would end up making a background for a vengence hero story but you can tweak this a bit by seeing how people ignores his cries for help when trying to save his mother, the police not helping him and even helping the thieves escape due to laziness and how everyone wouldn't help someone in need which causes the boy to lose his mind and turn evil. Wanting everything to be destroyed or how he just wants to cause chaos.

And no, I didn't watch Joker so I don't know if the backstory is kinda similar to it.

TotallyHuman

I think that you don't have to go far like getting rape or stuff. Just make it such that while the boy is trying to return home after a tiring day to find work, he ends up running into some thieves that are robbing his home while his mom is trying to stop them. The kid tries to help but ends up being knock back and hitting his head and ends up dying. He would see that while he was losing consciousness, his mother is trying to reach out to him and ends up dead by one thief hitting her head with a bat out of sheer joy of causing pain to a family.

Usually, this would end up making a background for a vengence hero story but you can tweak this a bit by seeing how people ignores his cries for help when trying to save his mother, the police not helping him and even helping the thieves escape due to laziness and how everyone wouldn't help someone in need which causes the boy to lose his mind and turn evil. Wanting everything to be destroyed or how he just wants to cause chaos.

And no, I didn't watch Joker so I don't know if the backstory is kinda similar to it.
no, Joker was thrown into a chemical vat and then went off the rails last time I checked. It could be different, the DC changes his backstory faster than I change my breakfast

Jemini

Meh. Adversity usually leads to empathy and having shity parents rarely makes for a situation where someone achieves their full potential.
I already gave my thoughts on this matter in another thread.

This exactly. As TheEldrichGod said, this kind of backstory is not the kind of backstory that creates Assholes, it's the kind of backstory that creates empathetic avenger type characters. Something a little like Batman, being all introspective a bunch and wanting to constantly save everyone, learning to be really menacing to the bad guys, but suddenly turning kind and caring whenever he sees an innocent.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

People are bad for a myriad of reasons.
A common reason is selfishness and lack of love for others.

The same thing could happen to two different people, and it would change them in opposite ways.

Last edited:

StrongArm

The man is a nasty ambitious mob capo who is trying to move up the ranks. He takes the young boy in as his "nephew" and teaches him to rob, to fight, later on to kill. The boy is rewarded with money, drugs and whatever he wants when he succeeds at a task to create a pavlovian response to violence. The man himself slowly rises to the top of the organization through brutality and cunning. The boy - now a young man has risen with him. The young man is now completely loyal to the organization and just like the man who took him in, is now viciously cunning. He lives a life of excess, his job as his "uncles" main lieutenant gives him money, women, & prestige - but he wants more.

His "uncle" has raised a snake. And this snake wants the organization for himself. But he has one weakness, his mother who is still sick.
His "uncle" recognises this weakness and uses the sick mother like a hostage, forever keeping the young man loyal and tied to him.

The young man has a choice to make. If he goes full bastard then he will kill his own mother. She was his weakness, now nothing can hold him back. (perhaps he will be plagued by guilt later)

Or if he's going for a more anti-hero route, then the "uncle" can kill the mother, and the young man can kill the "uncle" and then take control of the organization

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
having shity parents rarely makes for a situation where someone achieves their full potential.
THIS ^

However, if you make it clear that the child formed a deep bond with the mother before life fell apart, then you have a case. Before the father leaves, make it clear that the mother was very attentive to the child, and she continued to be as attentive as humanly possible after the father left. The child should also be old enough to understand that the Mom needs to earn money to put food on the table.

Adding more detail to the mother/child relationship, it sounds like a permissive parenting style would produce the type of character you are looking for:

Last edited:

StrongArm

THIS ^

However, if you make it clear that the child formed a deep bond with the mother before life fell apart, then you have a case. Before the father leaves, make it clear that the mother was very attentive to the child, and she continued to be as attentive as humanly possible after the father left. The child should also be old enough to understand that the Mom needs to earn money to put food on the table.

Adding more detail to the mother/child relationship, it sounds like a permissive parenting style would produce the type of character you are looking for:

that was a cool video

D

Deleted member 54065

*Entitled
Not privileged
It's 'entitled'? I mean, anyone can be entitled (or feel one), but not privileged. (Well, at least back here, we refer to those spoiled brats of politicians/rich families as 'privileged' pricks, and those guys are what I'm referring about.)

Edit: I looked up in the dictionary and I think it's indeed 'entitled'. Privileged and entitlement are synonymous, and in my place, both have negative connotations when referring to rich SOBs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jemini

No, no, no, and no. This is only true if actual brain damage is involved somewhere. Otherwise, humans have a remarkable amount of psychological heartiness to bounce back from even the worst of short-term trauma. This has been observed time and again by the psychological community.

New_Leaf

You don't need the rapist caretaker, it's gratuitous and doesn't really flow into the strongest plot points enough. The caring mother and the man who raises him in the criminal world after her accident, these are the focal points to center the backstory around. Instead of the caretaker, have the one who caused the mother's accident be a rich asshole who gets away with it because of the corrupt legal system, so the mc is in an orphanage and his mother can't get the care she needs because of this jackass. This gives the mc a big bad to aim for while also putting him in direct confrontation with the systems governing his land. People love a good underdog story, and the helpless civilian against the controlling upper class is a tale as old human history that still never fails to draw people in with its realism. Having him have an opportune meeting with the old man after seeing his mother and reaffirming how f'd up the world is will have the audience forgiving most of what he does, just make sure you're self aware of it.

The protagonist doesn't necessarily have to be self aware, but you as the author do, if you frame it wrong then you'll lose people. With a story like this you usually want to try to frame it as unbaisedly as you can, laying out his actions in a manner close to facts, you can explain his motives but don't try to make it sound like he's right or wrong, leave that to the audience or else they might feel like you're preaching to them. Anyway, I'm kind of overreaching at this point, the beginning is what I think would be good changes to the backstory.
I really like this one!!! I've got an idea now <3

Imma try to read more comment though haha and thanks for your time sharing ya idea

Edit: I have added the caretaker in my story so I really can't change it now.

Though I'm making him the reason why the boy and the man met... But it's still too unnecessary... Hhmmm...maybe I can use him as a character development for the mc like... Being more cautious

Last edited: