I want to draw art for my story

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Okay so listen here, I've reached 10 (actually 11 but one doesn't really count) chapters on my first novel. And I’m also an artist. However I only recently got into digital art, I'd still like to draw art for my novel.

Do you guys thing that would make readers more engaged? Also should I add art in the old chapters as well?

God this is so embarrassing but let me show you some of my very very beginner digital art work okay? I swear I’m better with traditional but it looks bad when you take a picture...

Attachments

• 337FF6C7-3D19-41E3-B31C-8F64B8D71973.jpeg
    337FF6C7-3D19-41E3-B31C-8F64B8D71973.jpeg
    556.6 KB · Views: 70

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Yes, go for it!
Carlo.jpg

You could also practice by making some illustrations for my story, if you like. If it's really good, I'll even toss you some money through PayPal 😇

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Do you guys thing that would make readers more engaged? Also should I add art in the old chapters as well?
More chapter=more engagement
art is like a nice extra, but readers will only stay with updates
God this is so embarrassing but let me show you some of my very very beginner digital art work okay? I swear I’m better with traditional but it looks bad when you take a picture...
:blob_evil_two: art is subjective, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
Some judge technical aspect, some judge the motif, but in the end, it has to be like by you! :blob_cookie: It's cute, don't worry.
I would say get a better camera, but who has the money for that. How about color correcting it digitally? Ngl, trad artists that switch to digi always say they are worse than trad :blob_sweat::blob_happy: But it will slowly get better.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
More chapter=more engagement
art is like a nice extra, but readers will only stay with updates

:blob_evil_two: art is subjective, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
Some judge technical aspect, some judge the motif, but in the end, it has to be like by you! :blob_cookie: It's cute, don't worry.
I would say get a better camera, but who has the money for that. How about color correcting it digitally? Ngl, trad artists that switch to digi always say they are worse than trad :blob_sweat::blob_happy: But it will slowly get better.
Aw thank you. Also I agree more chapters is more engaging but I‘m a master procrastinator. So the time I don’t write, I want to draw. And why not draw characters in my story?
Yes, go for it!
View attachment 8424
You could also practice by making some illustrations for my story, if you like. If it's really good, I'll even toss you some money through PayPal 😇
I’m still fairly new with digital art, also I’m sadly underage until next year. However if we have an encounter or keep in touch, perhaps? It all depends on you really. I will however confidently say I‘ll be way better in a year haha

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
Okay so listen here, I've reached 10 (actually 11 but one doesn't really count) chapters on my first novel. And I’m also an artist. However I only recently got into digital art, I'd still like to draw art for my novel.

Maybe I'm not the best person to let you know if art improves your story since the art in my current story is very, very lacking, but considering that it's bad and people are still reading it, I'd say I'll agree with tiaf and say that it's just a bonus. Look at all the stories here on SH. Almost every one of them have no illustrations except for a good cover and yet get its devoted fans.

My upcoming planned story will have illustrations, but it's really for myself. I have skills in drawing, though not good, but I say good enough, and the reason why I want art for my story is because I have characters that I want to see visualized. Maybe the reader will appreciate it, but more than likely they just want a good story, and that's what I'm concentrating on the most. The pictures are really because I want them there.

Though I suspect that adding illustrations may give the reader the impression that I do care about my work, even if they don't actually pay attention to it. I figured if it tells them I'm serious about my work and it gets them to stick around, then it's worth it, but once again, there needs to be a good story first and foremost.

tiaf

Also I agree more chapters is more engaging but I‘m a master procrastinator. So the time I don’t write, I want to draw. And why not draw characters in my story?
You can’t possibly beat my 3 months hiatus after each chapter. And giving out character illustrations between each update is probably smarter than me throwing them out as soon as they are done without rhyme or reason

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Maybe I'm not the best person to let you know if art improves your story since the art in my current story is very, very lacking, but considering that it's bad and people are still reading it, I'd say I'll agree with tiaf and say that it's just a bonus. Look at all the stories here on SH. Almost every one of them have no illustrations except for a good cover and yet get its devoted fans.

My upcoming planned story will have illustrations, but it's really for myself. I have skills in drawing, though not good, but I say good enough, and the reason why I want art for my story is because I have characters that I want to see visualized. Maybe the reader will appreciate it, but more than likely they just want a good story, and that's what I'm concentrating on the most. The pictures are really because I want them there.

Though I suspect that adding illustrations may give the reader the impression that I do care about my work, even if they don't actually pay attention to it. I figured if it tells them I'm serious about my work and it gets them to stick around, then it's worth it, but once again, there needs to be a good story first and foremost.
Yes! You are so right! I agree with that! This is art is really for me would be a great way to put it. Of course I like my fiction but I’m always thinking of new ideas and procrastinating. So I need to focus and why not do it by fleshing out my characters by drawing them?

Ooo yess add illustrations to your next work. It’d be like a light novel, how they add some in their work. That’s always nice. However don’t let the art drag your writing down. Always prioritize writing if you’re able to. Good luck on your work!
You can’t possibly beat my 3 months hiatus after each chapter. And giving out character illustrations between each update is probably smarter than me throwing them out as soon as they are done without rhyme or reason
Ahahaahah, hey it’s all good, this is literally the farthest I’ve come with my ideas so I’m not that very faithful to my work hehe

CatfromVat

I do the same with my novel. When I feel that I couldn't properly explain the scenes with words or when sometimes I need more depth to the character. I add an illustration. Though I do it mostly for my satisfaction and hope that others may enjoy it too.

Hathnuz

Depends. Actually, the opposite will happen more often than not. I've seen many stories that have illustrations with decent premise but have low amount of views & readers. It made me think that the art was the problem since those authors posted their art frequently in the chapters. I also have seen the art in some stories boosting their readership, but so far they're all smut.

My takeaway is: don't. I guess people come here to read, not to view art. If they want to see images, they'll just read comics/manga or go to deviantart instead. If you really, really want to have illustrations in your novel, you should reach pro level first (and that's still dubious at best) and make sure the character designs are good.

LilTV1155

:blob_hmm_two:

................................... Alll I see is a head with a neck.
Where's the shirt or is that a corpse's head in rigor mortis?

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Do it if you like drawing.

It's a great shortcut to describe scenes, portray characters appearance, and emphasize set scenes. I use it to decrease my wordcount whenever I can because I suck at writing lol.

Instead of describing how the damsel in distress is a peerless beauty with pearl white skin, cherry lips, etc. Just slap a picture and you're done!

Some readers prefer to have leeway in the description for their own imagination. So it wont just make it more popular to everybody.

Be careful because producing art on deadlines for the sake of producing wont always improve your skills. You'll stagnate if you're careless

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

Don't feel ashamed. That's good enough already. Some Japanese authors on syosetu just doodled their characters and their readers appreciated those, eventhough the dog looked more like a bear and the cat looked like a daruma and his human characters simply didn't look human.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
:blob_hmm_two:

................................... Alll I see is a head with a neck.
Where's the shirt or is that a corpse's head in rigor mortis?
Staaawppp I’M LEARNING OKAY. I haven’t learned the whole body thing, have mercyyy
Do it if you like drawing.

It's a great shortcut to describe scenes, portray characters appearance, and emphasize set scenes. I use it to decrease my wordcount whenever I can because I suck at writing lol.

Instead of describing how the damsel in distress is a peerless beauty with pearl white skin, cherry lips, etc. Just slap a picture and you're done!

Some readers prefer to have leeway in the description for their own imagination. So it wont just make it more popular to everybody.

Be careful because producing art on deadlines for the sake of producing wont always improve your skills. You'll stagnate if you're careless
Smart! Yes I think the best plan is improving haha
Don't feel ashamed. That's good enough already. Some Japanese authors on syosetu just doodled their characters and their readers appreciated those, eventhough the dog looked more like a bear and the cat looked like a daruma and his human characters simply didn't look human.
Hahaha thanks. It’s just everyone who does digital art draws so ridiculously well it has bruised my confidence
Depends. Actually, the opposite will happen more often than not. I've seen many stories that have illustrations with decent premise but have low amount of views & readers. It made me think that the art was the problem since those authors posted their art frequently in the chapters. I also have seen the art in some stories boosting their readership, but so far they're all smut.

My takeaway is: don't. I guess people come here to read, not to view art. If they want to see images, they'll just read comics/manga or go to deviantart instead. If you really, really want to have illustrations in your novel, you should reach pro level first (and that's still dubious at best) and make sure the character designs are good.
I actually agree with that, that’s pretty fair. I think I’ll just finish my fiction now and then the next (after a long break) I’ll add illustraitons that I can be proud of. I’ll ask here again if they’re good or not haha. And yes, you’re right about readers wanting words not art. However why does fan art and commissions of fan art exist then? I’d just say I’m making fan art of my own art. Yeah, but thanks for the advice either way!

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
I've definitely met readers who think illustrations in a story take away from it.... and I've also met those who like them.

Just like everything, I think it can go either way. Still, it's not a bad idea to remember that readers are here to read. So don't worry about how your art looks. If our story is good, even if our art is bad, it's fine. Just do what you like and have fun~ :blob_melt:

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
I've definitely met readers who think illustrations in a story take away from it.... and I've also met those who like them.

Just like everything, I think it can go either way. Still, it's not a bad idea to remember that readers are here to read. So don't worry about how your art looks. If our story is good, even if our art is bad, it's fine. Just do what you like and have fun~ :blob_melt:
Thank you! I’ll make sure to remember this!

tiaf

That’s why I put most illustrations into spoilers and I only insert them in passages where this specific image is described.

LilTV1155

Staaawppp I’M LEARNING OKAY. I haven’t learned the whole body thing, have mercyyy

Smart! Yes I think the best plan is improving haha

Hahaha thanks. It’s just everyone who does digital art draws so ridiculously well it has bruised my confidence

I actually agree with that, that’s pretty fair. I think I’ll just finish my fiction now and then the next (after a long break) I’ll add illustraitons that I can be proud of. I’ll ask here again if they’re good or not haha. And yes, you’re right about readers wanting words not art. However why does fan art and commissions of fan art exist then? I’d just say I’m making fan art of my own art. Yeah, but thanks for the advice either way!
Sorry about that. But it's hard not to comment on that head thing.
Also I really like your traditional art style because it looks a little authentic. But the background coloring make me think your book cover's a horror / supernatural genre for some funny reasons. It's hilarious.

Why not just draw a simple black outline of a T-shirt under the neck, the texture details can be omitted until you get to the bodybuilding thing?

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Sorry about that. But it's hard not to comment on that head thing.
Also I really like your traditional art style because it looks a little authentic. But the background coloring make me think your book cover's a horror / supernatural genre for some funny reasons. It's hilarious.

Why not just draw a simple black outline of a T-shirt under the neck, the texture details can be omitted until you get to the bodybuilding thing?
Ooo alright that's a good idea! Well I didn't take a lot of offense, it's fine. Alright I’ll do just that