Writing Ideas for cool superpowers?

thewierdestwriter

Am in the middle of writing a superhero webnovel, any ideas for cool powers?
Note: no "destroy the world" type powers, unless they're creative/ unexpected, please.

I already have mind controlers, precogs, hive minds, teleporters, teleported that explode, a guy who turns anything he touches into a living jigsaw puzzle (even things that weren't alive beforehand), another guy who can only make cyborg spiders, and needed to collect brain tissue from an unborn child to do so (he's a hero, btw), and a lesbian goth unicorn who shoots cancer rays from her horn. So, I think i've got the bases covered.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I think being able to store sperm for later would be useful:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Note: no "destroy the world" type powers, unless they're creative/ unexpected, please.

I already have mind controlers, precogs, hive minds, teleporters, teleported that explode, a guy who turns anything he touches into a living jigsaw puzzle (even things that weren't alive beforehand), another guy who can only make cyborg spiders, and needed to collect brain tissue from an unborn child to do so (he's a hero, btw), and a lesbian goth unicorn who shoots cancer rays from her horn. So, I think i've got the bases covered.
Emotional manipulation. Just make somebody unenthusiastic at the time. Superhero saving the world? Bam, apathy. Suddenly he doesn't feel like it. Word dies? Who cares. Nothing else matters~

Temporary amnesia. They can make you forget your phone password for a few minutes. If honed, the effect would be even larger and for a longer period. The peak of this power would be the ability to wipe out the existence of Greenland from the general conscious for one lifetime.

Healing powers. But not just physical healing powers; it depends on what the user deems as healthy. Say if the user's definition of healthy is "being completely qudrapeligic". They can potentially just rot your limbs inside out with their power as "healing" you. However, it requires a one-hundred percent belief from the user that the pinnacle of health is no running and no masturbation. You could have some evil corp pick up this "superhero" and MKULTRA their definition of health so they could serve to their own benefits.

That's all I have for now.

Redemit

I've always liked the idea of a normal guy with the ability to nullify all other superpowers magic or whatever even electricity within a certain range from him

Valmond

The power to control homicidal bunnies...

Yes, homicidal bunnies has been done before...

Strangely, I would like to see this again...

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Spray on shoes.

That scene when Flint did that thing suddenly made my glans and anus itch.

Jemini

Is this a matter of unique and creative super powers, or super powers that are up for grabs to use in your story?

If it's the former, I think you will get a long line of those from other people. Therefore, I will talk a little about the latter and might give a few suggestions of the unique and creative department in later posts.

For powers that are up for grabs, for the most part you could look at the parallel/equivalent characters across both Marvel and DC. For instance, "the flash" and "quicksilver" both having super speed means superspeed becomes something of a "free use" power any person writing super hero comics can use.

On the other hand, Spiderman is a power that only exists in the Marvel universe. Therefore, a super hero with spider powers is absolutely NOT up for grabs. (There are also some that appear from Hanna Barbara cartoons. Those ones are DEFINITELY up for grabs.)

Going by this standard, the stock list of powers would be...

Super strength. (various)
Super speed. (flash and quicksilver)
Flight (various)
Eye lasers (various)
Solar powered heroes (Superman and Birdman)
Special opps combat training (Deathsroke, Punisher, and Deadpool)
Ninja training (Various including Batman)
Assassin training (Various including Batman) (Yes, ninjas and assassins are different, although there's some overlap)
Magic power in superhero world (Dr. Strange and Zatana)
Technology based ice powers (Dr. Freeze and Captain cold)
Possessing physical wings (Hawk man/woman and Birdman)

There are also a few others that, despite only really existing on one side of the marvel-DC line, are otherwise generic enough to be used anywhere anyway. However, since they only exist on one side of the line, you have to be a little more careful handling them not to have them look too much like the origin that has been used by one of the bigs. You gotta modify it just enough to seem disimilar.

Techno suits (Iron man)
Control of plants (Poison Ivey)
Drug-based super strength (Bane)
Healing factor (Wolverine and Deadpool.)
Flame powers (Human torch and... I forget the X-men character's name)
Ability-based ice powers (Iceman from X-men)
Psychic communication (Dr Xavier)
Telekenisis (Gene Grey)
Ability steal (Rogue)
Teleportation (Nightcrawler)

You might notice a pattern here. Most of these powers are from the X-men franchise. This is because X-men used a large assortment of simple powers without stringing them together into a complex origin story aside from this X-gene. For the most part, with the exception of some very specific powers like Magneto or Apocolypse (mostly it's the villain powers from X-men you gotta stay away from,) the majority of the X-men powers are up for grabs. Also, Cyclopse's eye-beams are already listed in the cross-over as being up for grabs, but using his specific application where he can't turn it off and needs the visor in order to hold it in is DEFINITELY out.

There are also a few power sets that appear in both Marvel and DC that, despite them appearing in both, are also specific enough in theme that they cannot be used. An example of this would be Spawn and Ghostrider. The "rider of the damned" theme is something you should probably stay away from for liability and copyright reasons.

There are also a few powers that are not so attached to the big names that are just generically used in a lot of the more cheap knock-off super hero themes. These are ideas that you CAN use if you are so inclined, but I would recommend avoiding none the less due to their association with cheap themes.

Super intelligence.
Wrist-band lasers
Laser guns

Ok, that's actually the list. There are several other powers I've seen in those cheap-feeling superhero programs, but those ones are the only ones I have seen that ONLY appear among the cheap knock-off superheroes. Most of the other powers that appear in those settings are powers I've also seen well done in other areas, such as stretching/elastic powers.

lJeDl

Questioning Sense - Basically it makes all Senses(Sight/Hearing/Smell/Taste/Touch) decrease by something like 10-50%. it can be activated by the user asking absurd questions to a target that is about senses,

Example: What does p*ssy taste like? / Do you know what a bison's asshole looks like? / Have you ever heard a queef? Etc.

and if the target answers, their senses are reduced by 10-50% depending on the question they answered and their answer. :)

thewierdestwriter

Questioning Sense - Basically it makes all Senses(Sight/Hearing/Smell/Taste/Touch) decrease by something like 10-50%. it can be activated by the user asking absurd questions to a target that is about senses,

Example: What does p*ssy taste like? / Do you know what a bison's asshole looks like? / Have you ever heard a queef? Etc.

and if the target answers, their senses are reduced by 10-50% depending on the question they answered and their answer. :)
Like the frame, but seems a little too limited. Maybe the ability to make a person experience said sensation upon hearing the question?

"Hey, do you know what it feels like to have your leg impaled? How about with a fork? A red-hot iron rod?"

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
Silver tongue - the user has an innate sense with words. Basically they have high impact with words

Like the person can just say, "your mom"
Then the affected person actually have a trauma with abuse

The limit is that the words they say have a relationship deep with affected person

HappyVainGlory

Some fun ones:

Being able to reach through screens/pictures to take out whatever is there, like grabbing food from a restaurant ad. At the high end, maybe the person could pull out allies from games, movies, etc.

Being able to 'scoop' chunks out of anything. Like casually reaching out to a wall and ripping out a chunk like it was snow or putty. At the high end, maybe the person could scoop out chunks of space and time?

An art power that can inflict synesthesia. Like painting something red would make anyone looking at it feel like they're burning, painting something blue make them feel cold, etc. Kind of like a high grade illusion. At the high end, maybe they could create a false reality that overlays on top of this one?

Rhythm hell/heaven? A music based power where the person playing music causes everyone in earshot to move to the beat. And this works by 'playing music' on a phone or a computer too. People unfamiliar would only be able to move to every beat, but maybe someone with a good sense could move faster by subdividing the beats. At the high end, maybe this can cause some time distortion and cause someone's internal clock to speed up and slow down?

Something I'd like to call "Eye of the Beholder". Basically, whatever the user can 'see' becomes reality. If they reach out and pretend to squish a mountain, the mountain actually gets flattened. If they close their eyes and block out the world, they no longer exist during that time period because it's only darkness. At the high level, this would probably be a form of reality manipulation where they could envision certain things to overlay on reality and make it real.

Hope these are inspiring!

ability to turn into a mermaid 😊

D

Deleted member 45782

the power to revisit everyone's memories from a single touch or point of contact with the person.

thewierdestwriter

Is this a matter of unique and creative super powers, or super powers that are up for grabs to use in your story?

If it's the former, I think you will get a long line of those from other people. Therefore, I will talk a little about the latter and might give a few suggestions of the unique and creative department in later posts.

For powers that are up for grabs, for the most part you could look at the parallel/equivalent characters across both Marvel and DC. For instance, "the flash" and "quicksilver" both having super speed means superspeed becomes something of a "free use" power any person writing super hero comics can use.

On the other hand, Spiderman is a power that only exists in the Marvel universe. Therefore, a super hero with spider powers is absolutely NOT up for grabs. (There are also some that appear from Hanna Barbara cartoons. Those ones are DEFINITELY up for grabs.)

Going by this standard, the stock list of powers would be...

Super strength. (various)
Super speed. (flash and quicksilver)
Flight (various)
Eye lasers (various)
Solar powered heroes (Superman and Birdman)
Special opps combat training (Deathsroke, Punisher, and Deadpool)
Ninja training (Various including Batman)
Assassin training (Various including Batman) (Yes, ninjas and assassins are different, although there's some overlap)
Magic power in superhero world (Dr. Strange and Zatana)
Technology based ice powers (Dr. Freeze and Captain cold)
Possessing physical wings (Hawk man/woman and Birdman)

There are also a few others that, despite only really existing on one side of the marvel-DC line, are otherwise generic enough to be used anywhere anyway. However, since they only exist on one side of the line, you have to be a little more careful handling them not to have them look too much like the origin that has been used by one of the bigs. You gotta modify it just enough to seem disimilar.

Techno suits (Iron man)
Control of plants (Poison Ivey)
Drug-based super strength (Bane)
Healing factor (Wolverine and Deadpool.)
Flame powers (Human torch and... I forget the X-men character's name)
Ability-based ice powers (Iceman from X-men)
Psychic communication (Dr Xavier)
Telekenisis (Gene Grey)
Ability steal (Rogue)
Teleportation (Nightcrawler)

You might notice a pattern here. Most of these powers are from the X-men franchise. This is because X-men used a large assortment of simple powers without stringing them together into a complex origin story aside from this X-gene. For the most part, with the exception of some very specific powers like Magneto or Apocolypse (mostly it's the villain powers from X-men you gotta stay away from,) the majority of the X-men powers are up for grabs. Also, Cyclopse's eye-beams are already listed in the cross-over as being up for grabs, but using his specific application where he can't turn it off and needs the visor in order to hold it in is DEFINITELY out.

There are also a few power sets that appear in both Marvel and DC that, despite them appearing in both, are also specific enough in theme that they cannot be used. An example of this would be Spawn and Ghostrider. The "rider of the damned" theme is something you should probably stay away from for liability and copyright reasons.

There are also a few powers that are not so attached to the big names that are just generically used in a lot of the more cheap knock-off super hero themes. These are ideas that you CAN use if you are so inclined, but I would recommend avoiding none the less due to their association with cheap themes.

Super intelligence.
Wrist-band lasers
Laser guns

Ok, that's actually the list. There are several other powers I've seen in those cheap-feeling superhero programs, but those ones are the only ones I have seen that ONLY appear among the cheap knock-off superheroes. Most of the other powers that appear in those settings are powers I've also seen well done in other areas, such as stretching/elastic powers.
Sorry if I wasn't being clear, I meant abilities that were either under-utilized, or powers with effects that change them from how they can normally be used. Like being able to travel only second back or forth through time, or the ability to make supers misremember their own abilities.

thewierdestwriter

Some fun ones:

Being able to reach through screens/pictures to take out whatever is there, like grabbing food from a restaurant ad. At the high end, maybe the person could pull out allies from games, movies, etc.

Being able to 'scoop' chunks out of anything. Like casually reaching out to a wall and ripping out a chunk like it was snow or putty. At the high end, maybe the person could scoop out chunks of space and time?

An art power that can inflict synesthesia. Like painting something red would make anyone looking at it feel like they're burning, painting something blue make them feel cold, etc. Kind of like a high grade illusion. At the high end, maybe they could create a false reality that overlays on top of this one?

Rhythm hell/heaven? A music based power where the person playing music causes everyone in earshot to move to the beat. And this works by 'playing music' on a phone or a computer too. People unfamiliar would only be able to move to every beat, but maybe someone with a good sense could move faster by subdividing the beats. At the high end, maybe this can cause some time distortion and cause someone's internal clock to speed up and slow down?

Something I'd like to call "Eye of the Beholder". Basically, whatever the user can 'see' becomes reality. If they reach out and pretend to squish a mountain, the mountain actually gets flattened. If they close their eyes and block out the world, they no longer exist during that time period because it's only darkness. At the high level, this would probably be a form of reality manipulation where they could envision certain things to overlay on reality and make it real.

Hope these are inspiring!
100% using that last one

lambchap

The ability to create potatoes from out of nowhere. Enemies shouldn't dare underestimate if it's millions of them.