Idiot Plot or Realistic Plot

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Have you ever written a story with the intention of making all the characters just dumb enough to slow the progression of the plot as whatever problem they face would be solved instantly if they were smarter? This is known as an Idiot Plot. The exact definition is "Any plot containing problems that would be solved instantly if all the characters were not idiots."

Because of how easy it is to write I tried practicing with idiot plots. However, I try not to make any of the characters obviously dumb. This somehow alters things just enough to somehow make a plot with realistic progression as the reader is learning everything along with the characters. How this happens? I don't know. I just want to make a bunch of chaotic dumbasses but instead all I do is make somewhat rational chaotic neutral characters.

Anyways, I digress. What are your thoughts on idiot plots and realistic plots in terms of writing and reading? Do you enjoy writing either of them and is it difficult or easy? Which is more fun or interesting to read. Would you rather have a wacky idiot Plot or a more realistic steady plot?

Amok

grblbrbl
throw a bunch of lobotomized chimps in a maze and see what happens. one out a hundred have normal brains, one out of a thousand have cyber-enhanced cognition.

D

Deleted member 54065

For some reason, the story I'm writing is supposed to be a light-hearted, isekai rom-com but ended quite serious than what I intended.

SailusGebel

Didn't try writing an idiot plot though my readers might disagree. As for reading, I read it all the time as I'm too smart, and every plot for me is an idiot plot. :blob_shade:

On a serious note, I don't mind idiot plot if it's not overly stupid and blatant. I don't mind if the plot happens because MC or someone else acted stupid or there is a bit of drama because of the idiotic actions. However, if it's a recurring thing, and you can solve everything by talking or saying a sentence or two, I drop the story.

BlackKnightX

I really hate that. I’m a big fan of OP characters, so making a character an idiot for the sake of adding “flaws” or adding more tension is something I don’t like.

I don’t really care about the tension, really. I know that sounds strange since tension is the main driving force of many good stories, but what really ticks for me is always the character—and I don’t mean characters with some obvious flaws or characters that seem human and stuff; like I said, I love OP characters with cool personalities. It’s just fun to read. So that’s all I want, the other things are just bonuses.

So, in a story, when conflicts arise, it’s not for the sake of adding more tension to the story, rather, it’s to showcase the character’s awesomeness (as I like to call it). The character’s awesome reaction to the challenges and problems is what I always like in a story. I just love wish-fulfillment fantasy, so this element is very essential. Though, making it believable is a must if you want to make it more realistic.

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
I mean... It can be done good (lots of old good sitcoms did that) for the sake of comedy. If you do it for something else, I guess making characters not acting rationally due to their personal ideals, or lack of knowledge is better.

Paul_Tromba

For some reason, the story I'm writing is supposed to be a light-hearted, isekai rom-com but ended quite serious than what I intended.
Yeah, my main story was supposed to be a lighthearted slice of life time travel story but instead I got a serious time travel tragedy.

Paul_Tromba

Didn't try writing an idiot plot though my readers might disagree. As for reading, I read it all the time as I'm too smart, and every plot for me is an idiot plot. :blob_shade:

On a serious note, I don't mind idiot plot if it's not overly stupid and blatant. I don't mind if the plot happens because MC or someone else acted stupid or there is a bit of drama because of the idiotic actions. However, if it's a recurring thing, and you can solve everything by talking or saying a sentence or two, I drop the story.
Yeah, I can't stand it characters being overly stupid either so I tried making them only a bit dumb but that's when it started blending into a realistic plot development... at least, I think it is.
Isn't that what alcohol is for?
Yes, I even have an alcoholic character to increase the stupidity but I accidentally made him the most rational and level headed character... most of the time.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I wanted to write realistic plots with people reacting properly to things.

Then I discover that I am shit at that with CN flooding my system,

As for idiot plots, I dislike those thanks to JP, but I do find them appealing.

Last edited:

Paul_Tromba

I really hate that. I’m a big fan of OP characters, so making a character an idiot for the sake of adding “flaws” or adding more tension is something I don’t like.

I don’t really care about the tension, really. I know that sounds strange since tension is the main driving force of many good stories, but what really ticks for me is always the character—and I don’t mean characters with some obvious flaws or characters that seem human and stuff; like I said, I love OP characters with cool personalities. It’s just fun to read. So that’s all I want, the other things are just bonuses.

So, in a story, when conflicts arise, it’s not for the sake of adding more tension to the story, rather, it’s to showcase the character’s awesomeness (as I like to call it). The character’s awesome reaction to the challenges and problems is what I always like in a story. I just love wish-fulfillment fantasy, so this element is very essential. Though, making it believable is a must if you want to make it more realistic.
I'm the opposite as I am not a big fan of OP characters unless if they progressively become OP at a decently realistic level. Though I agree with your statement of making a character an idiot for the sake of adding flaws. That's just lazy writing.
I wanted to write realistic plots with people reacting properly to things.

Then I discover that I am shit at that and with CN flooding my system,

As for idiot plots, I dislike those thanks to JP, but I do find them appealing.
what about 3 stooges style idiot plots.

Agentt

Thighs
Have you ever written a story with the intention of making all the characters just dumb enough to slow the progression of the plot as whatever problem they face would be solved instantly if they were smarter? This is known as an Idiot Plot. The exact definition is "Any plot containing problems that would be solved instantly if all the characters were not idiots."

Because of how easy it is to write I tried practicing with idiot plots. However, I try not to make any of the characters obviously dumb. This somehow alters things just enough to somehow make a plot with realistic progression as the reader is learning everything along with the characters. How this happens? I don't know. I just want to make a bunch of chaotic dumbasses but instead all I do is make somewhat rational chaotic neutral characters.

Anyways, I digress. What are your thoughts on idiot plots and realistic plots in terms of writing and reading? Do you enjoy writing either of them and is it difficult or easy? Which is more fun or interesting to read. Would you rather have a wacky idiot Plot or a more realistic steady plot?
It can be quite hard to find the balance between the fun banter and the perfect progression pace. I like it nevertheless, it's one of my preferred methods to introduce comedy, and KR novels freaking love this.

I enjoy writing it, but sometimes it can be a bit depressing spending an hour writing, reaching almost 2k words, and then realizing you did nothing plotwise.

And this is why I love misunderstandings tag

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

No, my characters tend to just either lack common sense or dont care about it. So they drive the plot, not the other way around. I can only plan events and respond accordingly to their choices. As I dont consider said choices beforehand.

But people like to be condescending in that way. Like, " why didnt they just do x? I would've done it that way" And shit. Like everyone is supposed to be held to their standard.

The obvious thing isn't obvious to everyone, let's say. Neither the authors nor their characters are gonna think of everything the same way others do. Within reason, I forgive moments of characters not making the best or even good choices. Not having the same level of foresight others may.

D

Deleted member 54065

Yeah, my main story was supposed to be a lighthearted slice of life time travel story but instead I got a serious time travel tragedy.
Well, I hope you're still writing it. I also did a Teddy Roosevelt on my work, like, "Hey, I landed here (the serious plot), so I'll start the invasion from here 😁".

I'm 12 books in my planned 20 volumes.

FallingLeaf

Depends on the context-if idiot plot stuff is done purely for comedic effect and otherwise doesn’t drag the show/story down then it’s usually fine, but if it’s played for drama and isn’t supposed to be a tragedy, which I would avoid anyways because I don’t like tragedies, then it’s just obnoxious.

Someone bonking their head on a doorframe because they’re too tall and refuse to bend down or space out and forget to duck can be amusing, but someone purposefully running headfirst into a wall and then getting brain damage is either depressing or infuriating

Redemit

Yes, I even have an alcoholic character to increase the stupidity but I accidentally made him the most rational and level headed character... most of the time.
No I meant for you try writing while a little tipsy and see what happens

Paul_Tromba

Well, I hope you're still writing it. I also did a Teddy Roosevelt on my work, like, "Hey, I landed here (the serious plot), so I'll start the invasion from here 😁".

I'm 12 books in my planned 20 volumes.
I'm still writing it. I'm just taking some time off to work on editing the first volume and hopefully self-publish it.
No I meant for you try writing while a little tipsy and see what happens
Oh, I did that plenty. Some days I would accidentally over drink and wake up the next day with a good 4k words written that I would have to edit into something cohesive. I did that on and off for the first 800 pages.

Angeline2403

I like plots where MC is realistic about his/her strengths and takes a rationale decision and I seriously can't stand MCs who are stupid as hell and as a reader who has read idiotic plots, I get frustrated so much that I have even created accounts just to review for such novels and remind the author of plot holes but... they never improvise their novels.

If I had to say the novel which frustrates me so much they are 'The Beginning of the end' and then 'The Lazy Swordmaster', These novels have main characters as well as side characters who are very idiotic and the plot has so many plot holes that I wonder if the author if they were blind while writing these novels.